Need Some Aftermarket Help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Mike199
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 182649
What I Drive: 2014 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Mike199 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need Some Aftermarket Help

Okay so here's the deal: I bought this 2014 Focus SE a couple weeks ago since I needed a new daily driver (my Jeep blew up ). I put just over 1000 miles on it and I'm averaging 36.4 mpgs. Being used to an '08 Grand Cherokee V8 running premium, I am really loving this car so far!

I hear that as a new engine breaks in, fuel economy will increase, and I am looking forward to this. But I would like to increase my economy in other ways as well. My goal is 40+ mpgs. There are a few other parts I would like to purchase as well, I'll just list everything I want to buy, and if anyone has any input or suggestions I would really appreciate it!

1. I really want to get some weather proof mats for the car so I don't trash the carpeting, especially before winter comes. I'm thinking about going with Weathertech, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to other brands.

2. I do a lot of driving up to Vermont and it gets super dark up there, so I would like to get a set of HIDs and fogs. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need to go crazy, just brighter than stock. I'm thinking maybe 6000k.

3. I've never had a car that wasn't 4WD, how are these cars in the snow? Are snow tires recommended? The Ford dealer had some cool black wheels on the car and I'd hate to see them start to pit during the winter with the road salt. I was thinking about getting stock wheels from the dealer and mounting some snow tires on them. Any thoughts on doing this?

4. As I said, I want to get over 40 mpgs, so I'm thinking about replacing the air filter. Most of my other cars have a k&n, so I was thinking about installing a drop in k&n filter. Is there something else that will give me even more gas mileage than a drop in filter?

5. I want a new exhaust system since I'm not a fan of how the stock system looks. I think the new J2 system looks sharp, but it's a little loud for my liking. My Jeep had straight pipes and it got old pretty fast, especially if I had a migraine after work. I also have a sedan, not a hatchback. Can I make the J2 work with a sedan? Also, will adding a round muffler quiet the system down? And will this setup increase my fuel economy? My main reasons for wanting a new exhaust are to make the rear look better, to get better fuel economy, and to add a little sound (but not too much! this isn't a race car lol). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Those are the only upgrades I was looking at so far. Is there anything else that I can do that might increase my fuel economy even more?

As I said, I am new to these cars, so I don't really know anything about them. I would love to get some input from members who have more experience with these cars.

2014 Ford Focus SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
schrodingersbox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117379
What I Drive: 2013 Sonic Blue SE Sedan 6SPD DCT

FF Reputation: 2 schrodingersbox Good Standing Member
1. WeatherTech is good but no dead-pedal coverage. Husky is also very popular around here.

2. Lots of good threads, instructions an opinions on this. Try searching the forum.

3. I drove mine in an Ontario, Canada winter on winter tires and it did fine. I used steel wheels for winter.

4. I am running the open-end K&N drop-in and it's going great. Not too loud, and my fuel economy has steadily been increasing with time and my manual calculations are showing 16.7km/L over the 13.7 the car computer is showing for the all-time result. It's hard to say how much the filter is influencing that however as I'm a very attentive driver (but I also get peppy on occasion).

5. Upgraded specification exhaust should show some minor gains in economy, but not sure it would be enough to justify the overall cost. I think exhaust on these cars is much more a form over function mod but I'm not the greatest authority on it. Lots and lots of posts in the forum about it, and in fact to answer all of your questions. Just use the Search man.
2013 Focus SE Sedan 6spd DCT - Sonic Blue - Daily Driver - Moonroof / K&N / Snorkel Del. / Steeda RSB / E-RMM / Mad Tint / DownforceUSA+3DCarbon / Sport pkg +more see build thread @ http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379777&page=1
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
There is no set of mods that will guarantee you 40mpg, not even anything that gives consistent boosts to everybody, it depends on city/highway driving and how you drive. lightweight wheels are probably the best for boosting mpg.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Mike199
Focus Rookie

okay thanks guys!

2014 Ford Focus SE
Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
wacky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110451
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wacky Good Standing Member
do the snorkel-delete if you're counting on gains from a drop-in filter :)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Mike199
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky View Post
do the snorkel-delete if you're counting on gains from a drop-in filter :)
I saw the thread for that on here and I'm a little unsure about what to do exactly? And do you know if it voids any warranty? I had a 2008 Grand Cherokee and the motor blew on me with only 90k miles on it, and my warranty only covered up until 80k. So I would prefer to keep the warranty as long as possible lol.

2014 Ford Focus SE
Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
wacky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110451
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wacky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike199 View Post
I saw the thread for that on here and I'm a little unsure about what to do exactly? And do you know if it voids any warranty? I had a 2008 Grand Cherokee and the motor blew on me with only 90k miles on it, and my warranty only covered up until 80k. So I would prefer to keep the warranty as long as possible lol.
Well. The snorkel-delete part is 100% reversible. It's much easier installing it back than to take it out, if you were ever in need of tossing it back in. Just don't cut/remove the flap if that's what you're concerned about. :)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
Mike199
Focus Rookie

Okay thanks for the advice!

2014 Ford Focus SE
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Hocus_Pfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 181433
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Hocus_Pfocus Good Standing Member
They key to fuel economy is your right foot and your ability to plan ahead. Momentum is your friend. If you are able to eek another 1-2 mpg by utilizing free techniques, you are ahead of the game. Most mods that can improve mpg may provide other benefits such that you can more easily justify the cost. Anything that increases power can improve mpg if you restrain yourself. You can't expect to utilize the extra power and use less fuel simultaneously.

I also recommend Husky Liners. I've run them in most everything I've owned.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Mike199
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus_Pfocus View Post
They key to fuel economy is your right foot and your ability to plan ahead. Momentum is your friend. If you are able to eek another 1-2 mpg by utilizing free techniques, you are ahead of the game. Most mods that can improve mpg may provide other benefits such that you can more easily justify the cost. Anything that increases power can improve mpg if you restrain yourself. You can't expect to utilize the extra power and use less fuel simultaneously.

I also recommend Husky Liners. I've run them in most everything I've owned.
Yeah like I said, I'm averaging 36.4mpgs combined right now. I think that's pretty good considering the car only has 1082 miles and the engine isn't even broken in yet, and the car is epa estimated at 37mpg highway. I just wanted to see if there was something I could do to try to get over 40. I think I will do the floor mats and HID lights for now. Once the motor has 5,000 miles or so and is more broken in I will install a drop in k&n and try the snorkel delete mod I keep hearing about.

2014 Ford Focus SE

Bookmarks & Social Networks