Paint taking forever to dry! Suggestions? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Paint taking forever to dry! Suggestions?

So I painted my dash pieces. This was originally intended to be hammered finish over plastidip (for texture and removability). I just couldn't get the hammered finish to work. Like one pass would look awesome, then the next pass below would slightly overlap the first, as per the instructions, and that would cover the hammer effect- so it ended up looking hammered in stripes. So I let it dry a bit then went for something else- a scrap metal look.

It came out kinda neat, road warrior looking, but here it is 36 hours later and the paint is still a bit soft. Really need to get my car back together- I know the paint obviously went on way thicker than I intended- but still never had leaving finger prints this long after. I did my grille with black plastidip and about a can if clear over and it was fine in 24hrs...

Any ideas what would make this hurry up and dry? I know it's humid here in florida, but I brought the parts in and out em in a room with the fan and ac on after painting...

Here's the finished weirdness:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Hair dryer? And patience
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've had this happen when using different kinds of paints. You need less humidity and heat to speed things along.

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I've had this happen when using different kinds of paints. You need less humidity and heat to speed things along.
So more heat? I tried a hair dryer on warm/hot and it seemed to make the paint softer...? Someone here suggested the oven on 100... Kinda scared though. Bah! So frustrating!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
my guess is the plastidip is making it a problem for the paint to grab on properly.
dunno buts its just a guess.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you use some form of primer? Paint is meant to bond to primer... I recommend a primer meant to bond onto plastics and rubbers... If plastidip is "paintible" like bed liner is then you don't need primer... then you need to achieve the right temp and humidity for the paint...

Most paint like around 75f... dunno about humidity but it is a factor...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

I used rustoleum universal hammered, the advanced formula primer & paint in one. It said no primer was needed and said it was safe for plastics- which is why if figured it would work over plastidip- the can also said flexible when dried, which I though was a plus too. I know these trim pieces are painted originally.

I've used other paint over plastidip with no issues, but not this kind. Everyone was raving about it- but I had a lot of trouble getting it to do what it suppose to... Don't know.

Haha, I know it takes my hair about 4 hours to air dry here in humid florida, maybe it just needs more time then... Just yeah, got worried I'd caused some chemical reaction that prevented it curing right, or there might be some trick I've never heard of.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The hammered paints have silicone(s) in them which make them almost fisheye to get the desired appearance. That makes them not adhere quite as well. I did a rollaway toolbox with hammered paint about 10 years ago, primed and prepped it like painting a car. It is the most fragile, poorly adhering paint I have ever used.

Did the paint dry properly on the masking tape?
If it is dry there, the plastidip base coat on the plastic may be the problem.
I say add heat via lamps or whatever, you need temp to drive the solvents out of the paint.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If it wasn't plastic I'd say bake it. Are the parts outside where air can get to them? Something you could try is if you have a space heater, seal up a room in your house (towel under the door, windows closed) and crank the heat in the room with the parts in there. Don't aim the heater right at them, just let the room become a big oven basically.

I've done this to dry clothes when all the dryers in my apartment complex are full.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

There parts... Like the edges where I didn't get as much paint, that seem to have dried ok- so it seems it IS possible for this stuff to dry over plastidip. I mean- I did test it on something plastic. Plastidip, then this stuff- seemed ok.. But now I'm working on a larger area...

Right now I'm trying sitting IN FRONT of a hot oven, not in. But that's a really good idea with the heater in a room- might have a working one somewhere in the attic- not something that sees much use here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks