Towing with an '07 Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
aaronl1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117906
What I Drive: None Yet

FF Reputation: 1 aaronl1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Towing with an '07 Focus?

Hello, I am new to these forums, and am considering purchasing an 07 Focus sedan. I was wondering if anyone has any towing advice, as one of the things that I will use any vehicle that I buy for is towing about 1000 pounds in a 4x6 enclosed cargo trailer about once or twice a year. Probably will be a fairly long distance, maybe from Savannah, Ga to Atlanta, GA. Any advice? The trailer has no brakes. Would it be safe to do this? Would it be too hard on the transmission or engine? I know it's only got a 2.0 4 cyl, not sure about brakes. I understand that braking is more of a concern that towing power. So Any advice or warnings, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Redivivus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101188
What I Drive: 2005 Toreador Red Pearl Metallic ZX

FF Reputation: 1 Redivivus Good Standing Member
I can't say I would recommend that. I have an 05 with 2.0 and manual transmission, and I don't think I would dare pull much of anything with it. My 06 Taurus has a class 1 hitch, and even with a V6 and automatic, I still feel iffy about pulling much with it. Every once in a while I pull a small flatbed trailer or small enclosed Uhaul trailer (with the Taurus) for moving furniture or something along those lines (even an ATV) but I certainly don't feel like it is something I would do often, and certainly not with my Foci. Anyone else have any experience?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
No way would I try that!.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
09vistabluecoupe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67900
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 2 09vistabluecoupe Good Standing Member
Our cars are rated to tow 1000lbs. I've had more weight than that in my car, you would be fine. But yes it will put more stress on the drivetrain/brakes.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Ford_Focus.htm

Midwest crew #52
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
aaronl1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117906
What I Drive: None Yet

FF Reputation: 1 aaronl1 Good Standing Member
That's what I was afraid of. The situation: Will be going to college soon, and am thinking about buying an rv for college. I have an rv selected, and my family has a vehicle capable of towing it, but just barely. The situation is that there is almost no room for cargo in the rv, and I would have more stuff accumulated in the rv than what could be towed back in it. That would also mean that there would be more (bulk-wise) than what I could fit in a car of my price range (In this case the focus). That's why I am thinking about a trailer for the focus of some sort. Maybe a utility trailer (non enclosed, just a platform on an axle with a hitch) would be better? I would need to take my stuff with me if I was going to be away from the rv for an extended period of time (one week or more) or if I had to get any major maintenance done on the rv. (I wouldn't want my stuff too far separated from the rv in case of theft. Surely someone would notice that I'm not around my rv for a week or more if it was parked in a campground.) The thing is, i cant afford a car that would end up being more than $200 a month for 36 months financing, and this focus fit the bill.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
As much as I enjoy recommending Focus as a good car, towing is not one of its strengths.

If you are on a budget and still want the practicallity of a car.. Look at something like a late 90's Volvo. Something like an S70 can be had for less than $4k and will tow its weight, about 3300lbs
http://tinyurl.com/sdf7643h
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Stanley Rockafella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118997
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Stanley Rockafella Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
If you are on a budget and still want the practicallity of a car.. Look at something like a late 90's Volvo. Something like an S70 can be had for less than $4k and will tow its weight, about 3300lbs
http://tinyurl.com/sdf7643h

A Volvo is never the answer to anyone's problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

A Volvo is never the answer to anyone's problem.
Unless of course you are Ford and ask yourself what motor would be awesome in the last gen RS...

dont lie and tell me you wouldnt drive around this volvo powered beauty
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I recently read this article:
The Truth About Cars: The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy

TL;DR - It basically says that tow ratings for mechanically identical vehicles can be much higher in Europe than in the US, possibly due to legal concerns and/or impetus for us Americans to buy big trucks to haul stuff.

Having seen this thread, I decided to look up the tow ratings in the UK for the 2000-2004 Focus (very similar to our Gen 1.5 cars). Surprisingly, Ford gives the same tow rating for the UK and US markets: 0 unbraked weight. Meaning towing a trailer without trailer brakes is not recommended. Braked weight is quoted at 1200 kg, which is roughly the weight of the car, a standard rule of thumb for towing.

Now, that's not to say that a Focus couldn't pull an unbraked trailer. Obviously it physically can, but Ford doesn't recommend it. Personally, I think it would be fine to pull under 1000 lbs as long as the trip is relatively short and you stay close to or under the posted speed limits. Braking and managing trailer sway would be the biggest concerns. Pretty sure there are plenty of folks who haved towed with a Focus before, I recall one being an SVT even.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Stanley Rockafella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118997
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Stanley Rockafella Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Unless of course you are Ford and ask yourself what motor would be awesome in the last gen RS...

dont lie and tell me you wouldnt drive around this volvo powered beauty
True. Volvo does build some very powerful and robust powertrains.

The rest of the car leaves much to be desired

Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 10-01-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks