Oil Change Interval's - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post
yes. the service manager said ford uses and algorithm to determine when your oil is ready to be changed based on driving style, cold starts, etc. It starts with 1 year or 10,000 miles as the max oil change. It then deducts miles and time off for driving habits and environmental conditions that shorten the life of the oil. Most people should be around the 7,000 mile mark it sounds like.
This sounds great and all, but a few people have reported that the oil monitor activated at exactly 10,250 miles. I had it activate on my vehicle within 500 miles after changing the oil. So that makes it hard for me to believe that the oil change indicator is anything more than a milage counter. However, I didn't reset the monitor after my last oil change and I have gone over 1k miles this time and it hasn't turned on.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114934
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Nickel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvestermax View Post
I usually have oil changed by the dealer if the vehicle is still in warranty and change the oil myself on vehicles that are out of warranty. I do this so that I have official documentation of oil changes should there be any warranty issues down the road. This is the first Ford vehicle I've owned with a warranty, would this be an issue? How do I prove that I've changed the oil if I do it myself? I know with my BMW and Toyota, I was better off with official records.

Thanks
Keep all receipts, document each time very well.
Granted, the receipts just show you bought oil... could be for any car, and personal documentation could be any time....
So, the over kill option: record each change, just think, how could anyone argue if you showed them an unedited video that shows without stopping, odometer, vin, and a person that is clearly changing oil on that vehicle?
Just think, if the dealer does an oil change, can you truly prove 5 months later they did? No, you can just prove that they said they did and that they documented changing it and you paying for it... ;)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
Marine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105885
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Marine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Keep all receipts, document each time very well.
Granted, the receipts just show you bought oil... could be for any car, and personal documentation could be any time....
So, the over kill option: record each change, just think, how could anyone argue if you showed them an unedited video that shows without stopping, odometer, vin, and a person that is clearly changing oil on that vehicle?
Just think, if the dealer does an oil change, can you truly prove 5 months later they did? No, you can just prove that they said they did and that they documented changing it and you paying for it... ;)
Not my fault my front and back Camera DVR starts to records every time the car it is started :) I will be sure to deactivate it on Friday when I bring it in for service. ;)
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Just did my first at 7,200 with the dealer. Motorcraft OE oil/filter.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
TitaniumD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89517
What I Drive: 2102 Titanium 5dr Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumD Good Standing Member
I have been changing mine every 10,000 miles along with tire rotations at 10k.
I have NEVER seen my oil change monitor come on. I just bring it in every 10k.
I do a lot of highway driving and drive pretty easygoing, averaging 36+ mpg continuously since the beginning. This may be why the oil monitor hasn't triggered on me yet.

I am up to 49,500 miles now so about due for another service. Still doing fine on the oem tires. I am following the 20K schedule for cabin filters and wiper blades (rear blade @ 40k), and 30k for the engine air filter. Haven't done any other maintenance yet.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Since I bought this car new, mainly for 'new' car warranty, I've put Mobil 1 0W20 and will be putting in Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 in shortly but..... this being my second oil change, I will be going up to the 1 year or 16,000KM or oil monitor to do the oil change. As long as your car has the proper oil and the right amount, I'll go by what is required for warranty. I've seen more cars die from oil leaking, electrical problems or transmission issues than I have heard from the rings/valve train wear due to prolonged oil changes. You might have some symptoms in 200,000+ KM of lower compression or performance, MIGHT.

So yes, I will be following the requirements from the 'good book' (owners manual lol) but also only replacing items that warrant replacement. No longer will I just change something out because it is not 100% and is not a safety item or would compromise my warranty. This is in part to show to my friends and family that a Ford Focus can have a very low cost of ownership.

In reality, from what I read in the manual recently and from when I bought it, up to about 160,000KM all that you need to change is your oil and air filters to keep your warranty in check. Everything else is more or less to the benefit of the owner in regards to preventative maintenance. So yes, by all means for those who are not mechanically inclined and would rather pay for inspections in hopes of not running into a situation where a failure occurs, I implore you to do so! As for me, I want this car to cost me the least in the long run and still take care of it along the way.

note: I do continually check my wheels, brakes, suspension, engine area and watch out of any inconsistencies pretty much every week and not wait for OCI. Just my thing :P
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
I'm planning to do my first oil change at 1,000Mi or 1,600KM after the brake in period, and then at 10,000KM, 20, 30, 40... as my Owner Manual says
Old 08-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
05_GT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111293
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST, Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 05_GT Good Standing Member
I follow the recommended practices from Ford. Otherwise, you're just wasting money. And, please... save the "it's cheap insurance" arguments.

2005 Mustang GT, Torch Red, 5R55S, Vortech V2 with a TON of other mods, VMP Tuned.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
saireah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116690
What I Drive: 2014 Platinum White Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 3 saireah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My dealer offers free oil changes for life at 5,000 miles/6 months. I always thought it had to be 3,000 miles, but that's for older cars.

Bookmarks & Social Networks