Oil Change Interval's - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd suggest deciding on an oil change interval (5,000 miles/6 months seems to be common here) and resetting the oil change monitor each time you change. That way, if your driving conditions change for the worse and you need a change sooner, the car will let you know. Resetting the oil change monitor is easy, but you have to take a look at the Owners' Manual to find out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I'd suggest deciding on an oil change interval (5,000 miles/6 months seems to be common here) and resetting the oil change monitor each time you change. That way, if your driving conditions change for the worse and you need a change sooner, the car will let you know. Resetting the oil change monitor is easy, but you have to take a look at the Owners' Manual to find out how.
From what I have read here the oil change alert only turns on at a set milage, it doesn't actually monitor the quality of the oil and let the driver know that it needs to be changed.

I change the oil in my car every 5k miles. This is what I am comfortable with. I use Mobil 1 however I would run conventional oil the same amount of time.

Now, I do believe the oil change alert comes on based on when the vehicle health report is set to run. IIRC the standard setting is 10k miles. I changed my to run the report at 5k miles. At 15k miles I did not reset the oil change monitor. I few hundered miles later the oil change alert turned on. I just recently completed an oil change at 20k miles and didn't reset the monitor to see when it would turn on. So far I am closing in on 21k miles and it has not alerted me yet. So more to come on that later.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
From what I have read here the oil change alert only turns on at a set milage, it doesn't actually monitor the quality of the oil and let the driver know that it needs to be changed.

I change the oil in my car every 5k miles. This is what I am comfortable with. I use Mobil 1 however I would run conventional oil the same amount of time.

Now, I do believe the oil change alert comes on based on when the vehicle health report is set to run. IIRC the standard setting is 10k miles. I changed my to run the report at 5k miles. At 15k miles I did not reset the oil change monitor. I few hundered miles later the oil change alert turned on. I just recently completed an oil change at 20k miles and didn't reset the monitor to see when it would turn on. So far I am closing in on 21k miles and it has not alerted me yet. So more to come on that later.
The Focus has an "Intelligent" Oil Life Monitor so it does more than just go off at a specified mileage. While it doesn't monitor the oil directly, it uses factors like oil temperature, engine revs, etc. in an algorithm to estimate when an oil is reaching the end of its useful life. This system is similar to those used by GM, Honda and others and seems to produce good results.

I'm not following it obediently because of the Focus' direct injection engine. Other manufacturers have gotten this part of the equation wrong, notably GM which recently recalled a whole series of 3.6 DI engines to recalibrate the OLM for more-frequent changes. Until there's a bit more real-world experience I'll stick to my 5K interval. Conceptually though, an oil life monitor like the Focus has are great resources. Now if Ford would just let us see what the darn thing is thinking before it went off...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Now if Ford would just let us see what the darn thing is thinking before it went off...
Yeah, what the hell were they thinking? The car can park itself but doesn't have a screen to tell us the oil life or tire pressure. [smh]
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
I would also let your choice of oil determine the interval. Cheap, non-synthetic oils break down faster than full synthetic oils. I would change it every 3000 if you are using non-synthetic oil and 6-7000 if you are using a synthetic. I do mine every 6000 and I use the mobile-1 full synthetic without any problems. Amsoil also has a 25,000 mile/1 year oil (have to remember to change filters once in a while) and they guarantee it. If you are one who doesn't like to change your oil it might be worth a look.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
320kbps
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100343
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 320kbps Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I do scheduled maintenance every 5000 miles. I rotate the tires, change the oil and filter, and do a once over to see that all is well with brakes, fluids, etc.

I could rotate the tires every 5000 and change the oil every 7500 but if I going to jack the car up to rotate the tires I might as well change the oil.

A 5 quart jug of Mobil-1 5W-20 costs about $24 at Walmart and with the Motorcraft filter the total cost to change the oil is under $30. It takes me less than an hour to change the oil and filter and rotate the tires and that includes setup and cleanup.

I've been using Mobil-1 since the mid 80's and my brother once tore down the engine to a car I'd sold after 100,000 miles and found the inside looked brand new. The engine was tore down because the new owner had a flooding problem and the car was partially submerged.

So, if you drive normally and don't put unusual amounts of stress on the car you could comfortably go 7500-10000 miles if you use a good oil like Mobil-1 or Amsoil. If your driving situation is more of a stress on the car or if you go with cheaper oil you might want to stay in the 5000-7500 interval.

The days of changing at 3000 miles passed long ago but the oil change places would like you to believe it's critical you change more frequently. Of course, they have an interest in getting you to change more frequently.

Brian
Thanks, I have been changing the oil with tire rotation on my three vehicles every 3000 but after reading your post I Googled it and have changed my mindset to every 5000. Well I will not be doing it because I can have it done with the tires rotated for what you spent on supplies. Oil changes are a lost leader if I did one I would charge $100. The 37 12.50 17 tire wheel combo on my Prerunner weigh 110 lbs and that poor kid changes the oil and lifts those heavy bastards for $30.73 while I'm out making better use of my time
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bile0026 View Post
I would also let your choice of oil determine the interval. Cheap, non-synthetic oils break down faster than full synthetic oils. I would change it every 3000 if you are using non-synthetic oil and 6-7000 if you are using a synthetic. I do mine every 6000 and I use the mobile-1 full synthetic without any problems. Amsoil also has a 25,000 mile/1 year oil (have to remember to change filters once in a while) and they guarantee it. If you are one who doesn't like to change your oil it might be worth a look.
I'm sure Amsoil if terrific, but going more than 10,000 miles or the oil life monitor suggestion can create a warranty problem for you.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus-Freak View Post
So in other words, I am suppose to let the car tell me when to change the oil and trust that the computer and sensors work as should??
yes. the service manager said ford uses and algorithm to determine when your oil is ready to be changed based on driving style, cold starts, etc. It starts with 1 year or 10,000 miles as the max oil change. It then deducts miles and time off for driving habits and environmental conditions that shorten the life of the oil. Most people should be around the 7,000 mile mark it sounds like.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
sylvestermax
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115411
What I Drive: 2012-White Trycoat-SEL, BMW Z4

FF Reputation: 1 sylvestermax Good Standing Member
I usually have oil changed by the dealer if the vehicle is still in warranty and change the oil myself on vehicles that are out of warranty. I do this so that I have official documentation of oil changes should there be any warranty issues down the road. This is the first Ford vehicle I've owned with a warranty, would this be an issue? How do I prove that I've changed the oil if I do it myself? I know with my BMW and Toyota, I was better off with official records.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
I change the oil in all of my vehicles myself.

What I have been doing on all the vehicles now is keeping track of all serivce that I do in the Road Trip app on my phone. I also have owners accounts that allow one to record service that they do themselves or at locations which are not a Ford dealer.

Along with keeping the receipt, I would think that is plenty of documentation.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT

Bookmarks & Social Networks