How bad did I get ripped off? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The house always wins on the extended warranty. It's not a service, it's a product; something they are selling for profit. They are figuring that, on average, your car will cost less than that to repair in the same time period.

Peace of mind? Your the one who has to put a price on that. Some people will get out lucky. Some people may have some major repairs that cost more than the warranty. But Ford has done the math, and they sold it to you because the statistics say you won't.

Some think the extended warranty is a bad idea. Personally, I won't buy it. But I also don't think it's 'silly' for people to buy. If it gives you the piece of mind and is worth it, then go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #42
Stanley Rockafella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118997
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Stanley Rockafella Good Standing Member
I used to sell Fords, and yes, you did get ripped off. The salesman gets extra spiffs for all the extra crap you purchase for your car. The dealership gets most of the money the the finance mgr, then the salesman.

If it helps you sleep better at night, that's all that matters
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #43
Theblueoval
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed se Sport sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
I was 24k with a 5-speed se with sunroof and 17" black ford racing wheels. Just got the basic warranty.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #44
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

I never pay sticker and I never let the dealer talk me into stuff. I shop around, and I go to the dealer just to buy. One tactic; if you need to ask the salesman/dealer something, make sure you research it as much as you can before hand. Then, don't make any decisions on the spot. Step away, grab a bite, tell them you'll be back; and make an informed decision (such as on the warranty). Those salespersons want you to make quick decisions so they can up their commission. And good for them. Nothing wrong with earning a living. They didn't do anything that you didn't consent to. It's YOUR responsibility to make informed decisions that are best for you; not theirs.

And don't pay sticker. When it's all said and done, the salesperson is going to have a price written down. After he's done wasting your time with that price; tell him what you'll pay. It doesn't matter how much you love the car, how much the dealer says 'it's worth it', or anything else. Now I'm not saying be mean; that's just silly. You just say, "I'm prepared to pay $XXX (A reasonable amount, mind you), and I want the car like this. Can we make a deal?". They'll counter, they'll go back and forth. You'll never know until you try!

My wifes motorcycle, for example, listed for $9,199 new. I found a model year leftover on the sales floor. They had it listed for $8,500. I offered them $5,500. They said no way, they'd lose money on that sale! I said, "I know you will; but you can't make any money on this bike, how much have you paid in floor fees for the last year? How long will you be paying them if it doesn't sell?". They still said no, I thanked them, and I walked outside. They followed me out and before you knew it I was riding that Honda home for my wife for $5,500 out the door, brand new. It CAN be done! Not always like that; not always 'half price', but there is absolutely, positively, no reason to pay what that sticker says. The dealer isn't going to tell you that because if you do; then they'll make more money. And that's not just incentives and rebates either! There are more they aren't telling you about, and they are EXPECTING you to negotiate the price. That's ESPECIALLY true of used and model-year-leftover cars. Used cars have a much thicker profit margin to work with, and model-leftover cars are already in the hole because of floor fees and depreciation; so they are more willing to deal because they want it off the floor so it doesn't keep costing them money. (In the case of Ford, they charge dealers 8% per month on STICKER after the first month. So on a $25,000 car... do the math! They've lost a buttload on a car that's been sitting on the lot for a year; they want it GONE).

Always look for cars that have been on the lot a little while. Sure, a car under that 30 day window they could make the most money on; but they are business people and they take risks. They are still gonna see if some sucker is gonna pay sticker; and they haven't even paid one months 'rent' on the car there. That's good money for a days work! A car that's been there a few months, they've paid thousands to keep and are already potentially in the hole (there's not a lot of margin on new cars, believe it or not), it may even be worth it for them to sell it as a wash just to quit paying the 8%!

Also know WHAT you're buying. A popular car with current incentives being marketed heavily in the most popular color is not going to be easy to deal on. If they can sell it for more; they will. Put yourself in their shoes. Say you put your old car on craigslist and on day 1 someone offers a couple thousand less. You'll probably say no, right? It's just the first day; someone might offer more. What about if it sits without any attention for months? You'll be begging for someone to come in and offer that same price again; and you're not even paying 'interest' on it! Some cars sell ABOVE sticker. My dealer had a Shelby GT500 in the showroom and they would only entertain offers 'well above sticker'. And they'll get it, someone is probably going to fly in hundreds of miles to buy that car. But that 2013 Focus that's been sitting on the lot with a manual transmission that nobody knows how to drive and the dealer is just begging to get rid of?
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #45
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
No free lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Although you have to ask yourself why it is more expensive.

The conversion rate is 1.00 US Dollars to 1.05 Canadian dollars. Canada must tax the hell out of everything there.
If you "Build & Price" the same car on both the ford.com (USA) and ford.ca (Canada) websites you can see some of the differences in pricing.

My guess is that the taxes have to be higher to get the money to pay the doctors and other health care workers and hospitals that provide "free" health care. We will soon be seeing how that works in the US. It's the old "No free lunch" rule.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #46
mr2929
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119886
What I Drive: gray 2014 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 mr2929 Good Standing Member
2014 S ford focus basic model otd 16455 did I do ok?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #47
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2929 View Post
2014 S ford focus basic model otd 16455 did I do ok?
What transmission?

If it's the manual, you paid about sticker. Which, I guess, isn't a 'bad' price, but personally I'd never pay sticker. Someone somewhere will give you a deal.

If it's the auto, then you got the auto for the manual price; not a bad deal. Keep in mind these lower end cars have a thinner margin and it truly is harder to get anything off the price. Which, in reality, is okay. It's better than the alternative; the silly game that is dealers and manufacturers intentionally inflating the price because they are anticipating negotiations.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #48
mr2929
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
What transmission?

If it's the manual, you paid about sticker. Which, I guess, isn't a 'bad' price, but personally I'd never pay sticker. Someone somewhere will give you a deal.

If it's the auto, then you got the auto for the manual price; not a bad deal. Keep in mind these lower end cars have a thinner margin and it truly is harder to get anything off the price. Which, in reality, is okay. It's better than the alternative; the silly game that is dealers and manufacturers intentionally inflating the price because they are anticipating negotiations.
cool yea its an auto everyone kept asking me if I got a manual because of the price.long as I did ok then its all good.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #49
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2929 View Post
cool yea its an auto everyone kept asking me if I got a manual because of the price.long as I did ok then its all good.
Yep, not a bad price!

Just as a general tip for negotiations, don't be afraid to make an offer. It's your job to make a LOW offer, and it's the salesmans job to get you to pay as much as possible. The game ends when you've met somewhere in the middle. It's not "guess the price", it's "Do your research, determine a fair price, knock a few percentage points off of that and offer it!". Then let them counter, play the 'I've gotta ask my boss' game, etc. A lot of folks these days are afraid to offer something. They'll counter, don't worry!

Plus, you never know. My wife's motorcycle I got for a steal. We were looking used. Found one, but it wasn't in great shape. Dealer had a model-leftover 2011 (this was in 2012). So, brand new, but had been sitting on the floor a year. My offer? Sell me that brand new 2011 for the price they had this beat-up 2009 (looked better in the pics online) listed. Which was about half what they had on the sticker. They went back and forth a little bit but that's exactly what I paid when it was all said and done. Roughly HALF of the bikes MSRP (MSRP which was already reduced given it was no longer the current model year AND the 2013's were about to come out). They took it as a loss; but it had already been sitting for a year while they paid floor fees and interest on it! They were willing to take a hit just to get rid of it and I knew it. Now, when you shop like that, you don't get to be as picky. But, it is an excellent strategy. Work the lot, find out what cars they want to get rid of, and see how bad they want to get rid of it! And never ever ever just shop one dealer. It's amazing what kind of 'incentives' they suddenly remember when you tell them you might be back, but you have a few other places to check out first!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #50
mr2929
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Yep, not a bad price!

Just as a general tip for negotiations, don't be afraid to make an offer. It's your job to make a LOW offer, and it's the salesmans job to get you to pay as much as possible. The game ends when you've met somewhere in the middle. It's not "guess the price", it's "Do your research, determine a fair price, knock a few percentage points off of that and offer it!". Then let them counter, play the 'I've gotta ask my boss' game, etc. A lot of folks these days are afraid to offer something. They'll counter, don't worry!

Plus, you never know. My wife's motorcycle I got for a steal. We were looking used. Found one, but it wasn't in great shape. Dealer had a model-leftover 2011 (this was in 2012). So, brand new, but had been sitting on the floor a year. My offer? Sell me that brand new 2011 for the price they had this beat-up 2009 (looked better in the pics online) listed. Which was about half what they had on the sticker. They went back and forth a little bit but that's exactly what I paid when it was all said and done. Roughly HALF of the bikes MSRP (MSRP which was already reduced given it was no longer the current model year AND the 2013's were about to come out). They took it as a loss; but it had already been sitting for a year while they paid floor fees and interest on it! They were willing to take a hit just to get rid of it and I knew it. Now, when you shop like that, you don't get to be as picky. But, it is an excellent strategy. Work the lot, find out what cars they want to get rid of, and see how bad they want to get rid of it! And never ever ever just shop one dealer. It's amazing what kind of 'incentives' they suddenly remember when you tell them you might be back, but you have a few other places to check out first!
this was my first buying experience buying a new car so I think I did ok. I will def use your advice when buying my next car it will def help me save alot of money. thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks