How bad did I get ripped off? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Ocokanaduh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116159
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Ocokanaduh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How bad did I get ripped off?

Hello, I bought a 2013 focus SE today with the 201A package, winter package, and the body kit package.

Total cost with delivery, from another dealer, 5 year/120k warranty, taxes and all that was $28,400. Got 0% financing for 72 months.

Could they have gone much lower? This is my first new car purchase. Also, I live in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Reads like you bought the extended warranty. Did you?
Usually the extended warranty is a huge moneymaker for the dealer.. And is not a good investment.
In the USA anyone can cancel the extened warranty and get 100% of the money for it refunded in the first 30 days. I do not know if that is also true in Canada.

Also yes Canada is different than the USA, and the cost is much higher (from other folks stories)
So if someone starts in with you got ripped off.. NO, the car costs MORE in Canada, period.
So if you added inthe extended warranty, cancel that and they will refund that money, or just take it off the loan balance. (Plus tax on it..If you can cancel it, you get the cost plus the tax on the cost back, but only during the first 30 days in USA. Canada like I wrote I do not know the rules.)

After the first 30 day in USA, you do NOT get the sales tax back, and the refund is prorated for a portion already used..

Last edited by Elizabeth; 06-27-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
seems about right for other fanatics from (way) up north. in the states a base st or st2 usually runs around that, where as canada it's much more. the warranty probably cost you a ton too, so take that off and the mid 20's is what seems to be about average for a decently equipped SE in the states or canada
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Ocokanaduh
Focus Rookie

Hmm okay. Why is the warranty a bad idea? It was $2k for 5yr or 120km.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Some people believe the extended warranty is a rip off, and yes if you never use it, you loose money. However some people sleep easier at night knowing its covered if something happens.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Any extended warranty is a moneymaker for the dealer. They get paid up front big time, and the repairs down the road usually (on average) are well below the money spent for the original warranty.
The warranty in the USA can be had for half the list price from some internet dealers.. and is the same Ford warranty! so the dealer is making a lot on it!.
I do not think the internet dealers can sell to Canada though.

An extended warranty makes sense if you hate to be bothered with sudden expenses later on. With insurance, you pay a lot for security.
The main thing is to remember they DO make a lot of money on the extended warranty. So financially it is not a good 'deal' for the consumer.
The exceptions are folks for whom everything is always going wrong.. They might come out ahead on the deal.
Remember the powertrain is already free warranty for 50,000 miles and five years anyway.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocokanaduh View Post
Hmm okay. Why is the warranty a bad idea? It was $2k for 5yr or 120km.
You're only getting a warranty for 2 years and ????km, because the basic ford warranty is probably for the first 3 years and ????km. By the way 120km is less than 75,000 miles, which is very low for an extended warranty.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Ocokanaduh
Focus Rookie

I had an '07 Golf before this Focus and during the last year the warranty was still valid there were two problems that would have combined to cost me over $1500...

In my mind, paying $2000 now for 5 years of worry-free, no sudden expenses, is worth it. I also got some Gold Membership thing which covers my oil changes for the first 5 years as well. The cost on that was $750. If I get 4 oil changes a year, for 5 years that would cost (60 * 20) = $1200. So I figured I "saved" some money there.

But yeah, I'm totally the guy that likes peace of mind when it comes to vehicles and right now, my only foreseen expenses will be maintenance outside of oil changes.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Adam The Gnome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115670
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Adam The Gnome Good Standing Member
I paid 21,000 on the road for a 13 s base model with sync and automatic trans. You did better than me!

credit score of 746 got me 3% financing

edit to add, the exp thing sounded good for the tires but it came out to be like 4,500 extra. I doubt anyone would go through 4,500 in tires
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Ocokanaduh
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam The Gnome View Post
I paid 21,000 on the road for a 13 s base model with sync and automatic trans. You did better than me!

credit score of 746 got me 3% financing

edit to add, the exp thing sounded good for the tires but it came out to be like 4,500 extra. I doubt anyone would go through 4,500 in tires
The exp thing? What is that?

For your price, did you get warranty or any other upgrades/packages?

I'm not sure what my credit score is.. or if it's even measured in numbers like that in Canada.

Bookmarks & Social Networks