The factory radio finally died - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The factory radio finally died

I guess 8 years isn't bad, and the wifey's has gone out in the Windstar, so we'll probably be getting one for her too.

First off, I'm totally disappointed in the selections out there when it comes to mechless media receivers. Back in the day when MP3 CD players were new, I was on top of that- why have a changer when one CD holds as many songs? Now I don't see the sense in having CDs laying around inside the car when I can either attach a USB drive, SD card, or phone to the receiver and have music.

Right now I'm looking a a few- now this is not a $$$$ expense for me, but I'd like to move up to the next level. I don't care about navigation, DVD, or having a touch screen. I would actually prefer not to have a touch screen because then some kid won't bust a window out and tear up my dash to steal it.

I'm looking at these in no particular order:

JVC HDR 81BT
Kenwood DPX 500BT
Jensen VM 9225BT
Jensen MP1524
Kenwood DPX 308U
Pioneer FH-X700BT

I know... all of these have CD players, but I haven't found a DMR yet that I really like. The JVC is tops on the list but only because it has F and R USB- no SD card slot. The Jensens are the only ones with SD card slots, which is completely surprising. Soundstream makes one with SD slots, but people complain about the 30 second load times! Well, yeah, I would too. I might have to give up on the SD card and just go with a USB powered drive hidden somewhere.

Any options that you guys know of? I know all these are 2DIN, but I really don't care too much about that. The JVC DMRs I looked at were all DIN- but no SD card- wth? Those would be an option if HD radio were available on any. I guess maybe the world isn't moving towards DMRs?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a sony xplod head unit with a usb/aux input its great. Its probably real cheap now.
Still here!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
A lot of the stereos use USB instead of Micro SD because its easier for people to transfer music to a USB, especially on laptops and computers that don't have a built in SD drive. Of the ones you listed the JVC HDR 81BT seems to be the best choice. In the rear there is a USB cable where you can run it to your glove box and hide the USB drive in there. See this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x105KWHR81B-o_back2.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	18472  

Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
I'd go with the JVC first Alex.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I was leaning that way. Unfortunately they seem to be in the middle of a model changeover. Previous model was a KW-R800BT, then they added HD radio in the unit, so it became the KW-HDR81BT. There is a 900 unit that has 5v pre-outs and a slightly better CD player. I think I'm going to see how this one works in the wifeys car first then either get one or wait for the HDR91BT. HD radio seems cool, although I rarely listen to the radio.

One drawback- in order for the steering wheel controls to work, it takes up the USB. IDK if I could get a universal adapter to work or not. I'm off to do more research. I might have to let that go.

It's been a while since I looked at car audio stuff, so I'm seeing internal antennas, maybe a shark antenna- dunno. I'm going to look around. I was happy to see some good stuff from Metra- 2 different kinds of steering wheel controls. One is a stalk.

I'm also going shopping for a USB drive that is powered off the USB.

Do any of you know which stereo wiring adapter I should get?

Metra
70-5520
71-5520-1

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Oh... funny note. I read all the reviews of the JVC on Amazon: There is always one in the crowd. This guy complains because 10 days after he had the radio installed "professionally" he could hear a buzzing that got louder and higher with the engine

We know what that is.

Then he said that the installer put something in there to make it stop, which worked for a day. Then a lot of other things started going out, and he had the same problem with 2 units... DUH!

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
badazz2010focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
road noise.......go with the pioneer I'd take the pioneer over anything any day.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Im Partial to the Pioneer as well, Whatever you chose avoid the Jensen units.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Eh.... I've had a good Jensen before. Back in the day when MP3 CD players were a new thing only 2 companies made units with 10 buttons on the face and direct track access (without scrolling through everything). One was Alpine, the other was Jensen. That's something I'll miss with the JVC as they only give you skip options not direct access. I'm sort of used to that with the Ford factory unit though, and I'll just have to make folders on USB sticks.

Pioneer only has one USB input. I've had good luck with Pioneer HUs before, and I prefer their amplifiers and subs.

Anyway, if I had to choose between the Jensen and the rather expensive Kenwood I put in the following vehicle- I'd have gotten another Jensen. It had ESP, and never skipped. The Kenwood would skip, and no direct track access. Jensen still offers direct track access, however there are other things that I didn't care about for that install- like decent RCA outs- which are leaning me towards other units. I am disappointed that the JVC doesn't allow direct track access on the remote like some others do. I'm really disappointed in the whole industry that direct track access is a PITA to find! Who wants to FF through everything like it's a freaking cassette deck? Even 8-tracks could skip immediately to a song!

Quote:
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I am so POed at JVC now. All the models they sell, including the ones I wanted, do not truly have built in bluetooth. Instead it's an included USB adapter, so that takes up one of the USB ports. What's the point in saying you have 2 USB outputs? Use a passive splitter? No, according to the instruction manual you can't use a hub or splitter. Back to the research.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks