PCM relay cycling - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
highplainsbubba
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116082
What I Drive: 2007 Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 highplainsbubba Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Relay clicking under dashboard

I have a 5 spd man 2007 SE, 104K miles. It runs well but I hear a relay under the dash cycling every 30 seconds or so. I traced it to the PCM coil relay fuse #39 (2 amp). When I pull the fuse, the relay quits cycling. This is without the engine running, with the key on. Like I said, there is no apparent problem other than the relay cycling. The engine runs well and all the windows, cruise,radio, fuel pump and lights work. NO check engine light. Is there an onboard diag that I can run or do I need a code reader?

Update: The fuse was a wild goose chase. It controls power to a lot of things. See the solution below.

Last edited by highplainsbubba; 07-02-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more descriptive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Focus_on_Christ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96197
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST California Special

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_on_Christ Good Standing Member
If there are no idiot lights on, there may not be a code. Pepboys and AutoZone checkcodes for free, though, so you could take it there.

I recommend getting a new fuse, just to be safe, while you are there.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Fuse should be good if relay is cycling, couldn't do it if no power to it and no fuse on earth blows and then comes back as good.

Could simply be a bad relay, I'd be trying to find out just what it powers.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
highplainsbubba
Focus Rookie

The relay that is cycling is inside the interior fuse box. It is not visible from outside the fuse box. I notice there is a fuse on the back side of the fuse box. Any idea what that does? The web says it is for dealers only. Is there anywhere on the web I can get the schematic for this vehicle without forking over the big bucks? I will take the car to the parts house for a code scan. It can't do any harm. I may also disconnect the battery and see if the problem goes away with a power cut.I think something in the logic is causing the relay to cycle. It is probably the "I have run for 100K miles trouble free, and now I am causing problems so you will have to pay" circuit.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,414, Level 29
Points: 2,414, Level: 29 Points: 2,414, Level: 29 Points: 2,414, Level: 29
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sounds like a loose wire, bad ground, or other connection issue.
There likely will not be a code, and if there is it might send you looking in the wrong place.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Look in fusebox for another relay exactly the same with same number on it, if you find one, switch them, will tell you right there if relay or not. A weak coil in relay can easily do that.

After that you will need to assess what that relay does to check things out further.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
highplainsbubba
Focus Rookie

Found the problem

Apparently the rear wiper was turned on. It seems the rear wiper is in-op so I didn't know it was turned on. I will have to trouble shoot that problem now. The fuse is good, so it is probably the wiper motor. I have the 3 door hatchback so there are plenty of refurbished wiper motors on Ebay.

That was a lot of irritation for a small problem. I see in the forum when searching for "clicking relay", I am not the only one to make that mistake.

Cleaned and checked the wiper motor and re-installed. Works well with the hatch back in the up position, quits when the door is closed.

OK. here's an update for all you hatchback Focus owners. I bought this Focus new and have had it since OCT 2006. The rear wiper was inop due to a broken wire in the bundle at the hinge point of the hatch back, where the bundle leaves the roof and enters the hatch back. EVERY wire in the bundle had broken insulation and frayed wires from the hatch back opening and closing. I had to solder an extension wire into each wire in the bundle to get it to go back together. The saga of the clicking relay is now over. If you're having problems with anything on the rear hatchback, check the harness at the hatch back hinge point.

Last edited by highplainsbubba; 07-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks