DRL install help request - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107060
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB Red Candy

FF Reputation: 1 supernova1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bad news: the DRL controller emits lots of RF noise - my radio channels have lots of interference because of this. I will try wrapping the controller in the grounded metal cage, but its wires can function as antennas even in this case.
If this attempt fails, I will remove the DRLs - I do need clean radio channels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
rakabos
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109873
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 rakabos Good Standing Member
Wow that is bad news. These chinese items just dont cut it, problems also with the projector HID sets from China
Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
rawFrenzy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114336
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 rawFrenzy Good Standing Member
The Echomaster DRLs don't cause any radio interference and also don't require cutting any of that support material. They are horizontal though.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Glockboy98
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97799
What I Drive: 2012 blue candy SE.

FF Reputation: 2 Glockboy98 Good Standing Member
You should try telling whoever you bought them from that they are defective. Sometimes these random Chinese companies will just send you the replacement parts if you ask them. I've had my set installed for about a month and no problems with radio interference.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockboy98 View Post
You should try telling whoever you bought them from that they are defective. Sometimes these random Chinese companies will just send you the replacement parts if you ask them. I've had my set installed for about a month and no problems with radio interference.
Can you please tell me how you connected white wire of the controller? This may relate to the issue I see (I spliced it to the red ACC wire of the controller, but may be it should be connected to the battery + instead).
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
rakabos
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109873
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 rakabos Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawFrenzy View Post
The Echomaster DRLs don't cause any radio interference and also don't require cutting any of that support material. They are horizontal though.
My Philips DRL's also rock solid
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
Glockboy98
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1 View Post
Can you please tell me how you connected white wire of the controller? This may relate to the issue I see (I spliced it to the red ACC wire of the controller, but may be it should be connected to the battery + instead).
The only thing you should have to splice is the blue and white wires (if I remember the colors correctly) to the number 10 and 12 pins on the headlight. The red wire on mine just basically hooked under a fuse, then I attached the ground wire. Just make sure to use the (hopefully included depending on where you got it from) plastic wire taps properly. With the cramped space behind the headlight housing I didn't squeeze them tightly enough and had the DRLs on all the time, instead of turning off when the headlights come on.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
dbsimms63
Focus Addict

Fan#: 110359
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 dbsimms63 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The only thing you should have to splice is the blue and white wires (if I remember the colors correctly) to the number 10 and 12 pins on the headlight. The red wire on mine just basically hooked under a fuse, then I attached the ground wire. Just make sure to use the (hopefully included depending on where you got it from) plastic wire taps properly. With the cramped space behind the headlight housing I didn't squeeze them tightly enough and had the DRLs on all the time, instead of turning off when the headlights come on.
From what I've read about these types of DRLs, they do not go off when the parking or headlights come on, but merely reduce to 50% luminosity. When the headlights/parking lights are off, like during daytime driving, the DRLs are at full brightness so your vehicle has better visibility to other drivers.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
Glockboy98
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Do you have echomasters or chinese/taiwanese vertical drls? The vertical ones I have turn off when the headlights come on. Not sure whether they dim or not once the parking lights come on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Yes, I did just that. The supplier sent a new controller to me. As much as I can tell, it has a different electronics inside.
Tried it out, and got the same RF interference as before. It exhibits itself on weak radio stations, and not noticeable on the strong ones. It is unacceptable for me.

I looked at the electronics - they use a booster IC (it takes 12V and converts it to 22-25V to drive constant 260mA current through each chain of 7 LEDs. The IC uses 1MHz switch frequency - potential for RF harmonics.

I found a different IC online - it switches with 20kHz - much less RF interference potential. Drawback of low frequency - it needs huge inductor and caps. Still wait for the some parts, will assemble the circuit once I get them and let you guys know.

Bookmarks & Social Networks