DRL install help request - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115705
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Cornfuzzled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakabos View Post
How are you powering them, plug into fusebox?

The kit came with a fuse adaptor to plug into F42. Hooked up the ground wire. Behind the headlight i hooked the blue wire into Pin 12 (green/yellow) and white to Pin 10 (can't remember the color).

Everything worked great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107060
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB Red Candy

FF Reputation: 1 supernova1 Good Standing Member
How did you figure out connection for the white and blue wires? Pin 10 - low-beam headlight, and pin 12 - park light. Shouldn't blue wire go to pin 10?
I got the same (or very similar) DRL lights, and the enclosed instruction (all in Chinese with one diagram where they used pen to add descriptions to the wires) shows that white wire should connect to "+", and blue wire to the headlight (red to ACC). I have no idea why white wire should connect to constant +12V. Any comment about white wire connection?
What happens to the DRL light when you turn on park lights? What about when you turn on low-beam and then switch to high-beam?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

Yeah, my installs instructions were the same. In all honesty, I just scoured the web for other DRL installs, and took an educated guess. The DRL's come on when I turn on the parking lights, as well as the headlights, and they stay on when I turn on the high beams.

The only issue I've noticed is that in "auto" the parking lights AND drl's don't come on at all in the light. In the garage, with no external light source, all of the lights come on as normal, including the drl's. That's something I need to work out this week.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Tomorrow I will experiment with DRL blue and white wire logic - will use an external 12V source and try all 4 combinations. I want to get connection where the DRL turns on as soon as I start the car, dim when I turn on side markers (park lights), and are OFF when low beam is ON. If they turn back on with the high beam, I would not mind, as I turn it on very rarely.

I will publish my findings.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

That would be freakin sweet!

I normally drive with the lights in Auto. I'd love the DRL to turn on with the car "on", and dim when the lights turn on. If they are ON or OFF with high beams doesnt really matter to me.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
rakabos
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109873
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Sport

FF Reputation: 1 rakabos Good Standing Member
The Philips DRL's i have function only when the car is running, and dim when u switch the headlights on. It comes with a control box that simply runs to the battery. I wonder if this box could also control these china drl's in the same way
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Here are my measurements:

Blue wire ......... White wire..........Total 12V current

0V........................0V.......................0mA
0V.......................12V......................1360mA
12V......................0V ......................450mA
12V.....................12V.......................450mA

So it looks like the controller allows us to have 3 DRL states: OFF, half ON (dim), and full ON.

I would advice connecting the wires as following:

White – splice to red ACC wire. Blue – pin 10 (it is Low beam). Alternatively, to pin 12 (it is Park Light)

In this configuration the light turns full ON as soon as ACC has power. When either low beam (in case of pin 10 connection) or Park Light (in case of pin 12 connection) are ON, the lights are at half ON. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to turn them completely OFF. I wish designers used White wire better to allow this.

So the white wire seems excessive to me (design-wise), other similar DRL models have just 3 wires to get the same functionality.
On the positive note, I like the color temperature of the DRLs - they are not too blueish cool (like many Audi have), not too warm, look pleasing to me. The DRL LED compartment has 2 ventilation holes - a good way to prevent any condensation.

Another possible configuration - connect blue wire to pin 10, and white wire to pin 12. This way they are OFF if any of the headlights are off, Park light switch turns the DRL full ON, and low beam turns them half ON.

One more note - I will also use silicone adhesive to fully weather-proof the controller - otherwise it may get moisture if it is located under the headlight, or even next to the fuse box. I use a double-sided Velcro tape to keep the controller in place.

Last edited by supernova1; 06-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Cornfuzzled
Focus Rookie

WOW! Thanks for all that work! Excellent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1 View Post
Another possible configuration - connect blue wire to pin 10, and white wire to pin 12. This way they are OFF if any of the headlights are off, Park light switch turns the DRL full ON, and low beam turns then half ON.
This sounds like my ideal setup. Since "AUTO" turns on the Park Light when the car turns on, do you think that will turn the DRL to FULL ON, then, when the lights come on, to HALF ON?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
supernova1
Focus Rookie

My 12 SEL does not illuminate park lights when it is on AUTO headlight function. So the last option does not work for me. Your car might be different.

One more observation: the current stability of the DRLs is quite good - they start at 1347mA, and over 2 hour time went down to 1310mA. This is a good result - they promised about 5% stability.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
supernova1
Focus Rookie

Finally installed the lights - splicing white wire to the red ACC wire, and blue wire - splicing to Pin 10 of the headlight harness (low beam lights).
Looks very good! Works exactly as I want it - they are ON the moment I start the car, whether headlight switch is in OFF or AUTO positions. They dim the moment I (or car auto) turn on low beam light.
I had to use an Exacto knife to cut the excess plastic under the triangle panels - Ford uses very good plastic - pliable and relatively soft, easy to cut. I like how DRLs use a fuse-shaped connector with integrated 15A (for ACC) and 5A (for the DRLs) fuses. Clever design!
The only issue is that they seem too bright to me (even when they are dim) - I have to evaluate this. May be will need to apply some tint. I just do not want drivers to hate me for blinding them...
Any suggestion for the tint?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->