Dorman Replacement for "Lifetime" Air Filter - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 304, Level 6
Points: 304, Level: 6 Points: 304, Level: 6 Points: 304, Level: 6
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is a Utube video showing the installation of the Dorman solution. It's named "05-07 Ford Focus Air Filter Installation". Looks like it remains a cold air intake and offers the same hydro lock protection as the OEM. also looks like you would need to remove the splash shield to change the air filter. I suppose you could make a door in the splash shield. I only check air filters when doing an oil change, so I would already be under the car. In my area I would be replacing it say every 18 k miles or 1.5-2 years. Not too bad.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,218, Level 35
Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
That arm sticking out on left in OP pic is way too thin cross section of plastic to me. DORMAN plastic too, or some of the worst ever made. Says broke in one year from vibration all over it. Also, the rubber seal on filter holder outside edge is like one inch too short, or leak around filter right there. Filter element originally intended to pinch top and bottom I'd bet, sliding it in won't help edge sealing at all. I don't see a high edge sticking up of the soft rubber seal.

Not surprised, Dorman not one of my favorites, they look good but can't execute like always. I warrantied so much of their stuff it was unbelievable.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Points 304, Level 6
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
So amc49, have you ran into a clogged "lifetime" filter? What do you replace the OEM filter with?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,218, Level 35
Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
I personally do not have one of the cars. Just ruminating, I hate it when Dorman pulls somebody else down. We never sold any replacements when I was at the store, or a year ago. Anybody who asked for one was taken aback when they were told it was lifetime and none available, so it was obvious they were doing it just as established routine, not because of necessity. Nobody, and I mean nobody, cracks open owner's manuals any more. They're still finding out about PATS yet..........What, you mean you CAN'T cut me a key?????
Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
lowflyn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76353
What I Drive: 12 Sonic Blue SE 5Dr

Points 182, Level 3
Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3 Points: 182, Level: 3
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 lowflyn Good Standing Member
Glad other people haven't noticed the meter move...any. I have 105k on my 07 and was beginning to wonder when it might go out. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and cut it open around 200k to see what it looks like.

90 Mustang LX Vert - "7up"
04 Mustang GT - Stockish
94 Mustang V6 Vert - Broke
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,268, Level 72
Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Glad other people haven't noticed the meter move...any. I have 105k on my 07 and was beginning to wonder when it might go out. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and cut it open around 200k to see what it looks like.
I've tore down many collision damaged cars & the oem filter boxs are always broken & cracked. They have foam in the box for filtering. Lots of it. Replace it w/ a steeda sri & let the motor breath instead of weezzing thru all that foam crap. You try breathing thru that.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
DerbyCityGinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106672
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX5

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DerbyCityGinger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I've tore down many collision damaged cars & the oem filter boxs are always broken & cracked. They have foam in the box for filtering. Lots of it. Replace it w/ a steeda sri & let the motor breath instead of weezzing thru all that foam crap. You try breathing thru that.
I think the answer is no, but I'm gonna ask anyways. Does the Steeda SRI throw a code without a tune?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #28
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,597, Level 30
Points: 2,597, Level: 30 Points: 2,597, Level: 30 Points: 2,597, Level: 30
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityGinger View Post
I think the answer is no, but I'm gonna ask anyways. Does the Steeda SRI throw a code without a tune?
It didn't throw a code for my car.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Points 304, Level 6
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Dorman Replacement for "Lifetime" Air Filter

From another active thread, here is an article explaining the differences between CAI and SRI:

http://www.redline360.com/garage/col...hich-is-better

I'm not going to get into a religious war on which is better, that's pointless as most people make a decision and then look for facts/myths to justify the decision. Instead let's examine why Ford came up with this design.

First Ford tested and found that under high ambient temperatures, think 110-120 in Texas/Arizona, their car would benefit significantly from a CAI. The best CAI designs place the air filter outside the engine compartment. In a passenger car that usually means the fender where it is hard to get to. So Ford looked for air filter designs with an extremely long life so you would not be tearing your fender apart every 10,000 miles. They also added a recording vacuum gauge so you could easily tell when the filter required servicing.

I think this is how we got this design. Did Ford do a good job executing this design? That's an answer that quickly becomes a religious war. For me, living in Texas where the high temp was 108F yesterday, I'm reluctant to give up a CAI. I would like some means of testing the vacuum gauge so I could verify it's working. Has anyone got a procedure for testing these gauges?

At some point I will have to do something about my stock filter when it clogs up.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,268, Level 72
Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72 Points: 12,268, Level: 72
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
From another active thread, here is an article explaining the differences between CAI and SRI:

http://www.redline360.com/garage/col...hich-is-better

I'm not going to get into a religious war on which is better, that's pointless as most people make a decision and then look for facts/myths to justify the decision. Instead let's examine why Ford came up with this design.

First Ford tested and found that under high ambient temperatures, think 110-120 in Texas/Arizona, their car would benefit significantly from a CAI. The best CAI designs place the air filter outside the engine compartment. In a passenger car that usually means the fender where it is hard to get to. So Ford looked for air filter designs with an extremely long life so you would not be tearing your fender apart every 10,000 miles. They also added a recording vacuum gauge so you could easily tell when the filter required servicing. Mine didn't come w/ a gauge, either did my powerstroke.

I think this is how we got this design. Did Ford do a good job executing this design? That's an answer that quickly becomes a religious war. For me, living in Texas where the high temp was 108F yesterday, I'm reluctant to give up a CAI. I would like some means of testing the vacuum gauge so I could verify it's working. Has anyone got a procedure for testing these gauges?

At some point I will have to do something about my stock filter when it clogs up.
Yeah, Ford designing these filters they had to deal w/ everone buying there mass produced cars. cai would have issues w/ water then sri's. You living in Texas, I'd look at a Fwerks cai. I have a Steeda sri living in the Seattle area & dealing w/ rain. Same as tires, I'd rather be on Dunlop spec stars or Conti's DW's instead of a/s DWS's.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.