Dorman Replacement for "Lifetime" Air Filter - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Fazerdude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37744
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Fazerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dorman Replacement for "Lifetime" Air Filter

I don't have this filter housing. I just ran across it while looking at alternatives to the stock lifetime filter.

Dorman PN 258-519

Uses the following replacement air filters: Fram CA7098, STP SA7098, K&N 33-2113, Purolator A14649, Auto Extra 619-46107, Wix 46107 or equivalent

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-52645-258-519.aspx

It can be purchased off Amazon for $118 with free 2 day shipping for Prime members.

The filter element it uses is, accoding to the K&N web site, for the 85 HP Saturn 1.9L 4 cyl from 1991-1994, and according to K&N, has the following dimensions;

Height: 0.875 in (22 mm)
Outside Length: 9.438 in (240 mm)
Outside Width: 5.688 in (144 mm)

Just another option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
If your changing your stock filter, just get a real sri or cai & be done w/ it. I like & Steeda sri.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's not a bad option for people who want to avoid heat soak and hydrolock. I've never had a problem with hydrolock with my CAI, but some have. It depends on what you want the car for. Some people are turned off by the intake noise at startup- I know my friends look at my car when I start it up. "What's wrong with your car?" "Nothing, that's the air being sucked in", and then it dwindles down. What a PITA to change the air filter though- jack up the car, remove the inner fender well plastic, then unscrew the side of the filter and replace it. I'll stick to the CAI for that reason alone, but it's nice to know that Dorman is doing what they've always done best- fixing manufacturer's stupid ideas all over the car.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
What's interesting is Ford told me once that my air filter could not be replaced. "Lifetime" they said. It's very replaceable, but it still looks brand new. I've wondered if a K&N drop in would be more beneficial because at 25k miles you'd think it would look a LITTLE dirty. heh. especially if you saw what the engine compartment looked like before I cleaned it up.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Fazerdude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37744
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Fazerdude Good Standing Member
I am leaning heavily toward the Steeda SRI, but I thought this was a great option for those who prefer staying stockish.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
What's interesting is Ford told me once that my air filter could not be replaced. "Lifetime" they said. It's very replaceable, but it still looks brand new. I've wondered if a K&N drop in would be more beneficial because at 25k miles you'd think it would look a LITTLE dirty. heh. especially if you saw what the engine compartment looked like before I cleaned it up.
well some '08/09s had the lifetime filters (sealed/PZEV) and some did not, if yours is easily replaceable then you have the later. By all means toss a K&N filter in there, it should flow better than the stock one. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2401

for what its worth to anyone reading this that is looking to replace the stock filter for whatever reason, just go with a CAI or SRI and be done with it. Much easier to service/clean, sounds better and makes your car happy
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazerdude View Post
I am leaning heavily toward the Steeda SRI, but I thought this was a great option for those who prefer staying stockish.
You'll love the Steeda sri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post

for what its worth to anyone reading this that is looking to replace the stock filter for whatever reason, just go with a CAI or SRI and be done with it. Much easier to service/clean, sounds better and makes your car happy
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
well some '08/09s had the lifetime filters (sealed/PZEV) and some did not, if yours is easily replaceable then you have the later. By all means toss a K&N filter in there, it should flow better than the stock one. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2401

Yep it just has two clips that pop off it (the box) and then a little wiggling and the top of the box is off and I have access to the air filter. The K&N I think is the way I will go. I will need to trade the car in at some point and don't want to spend a lot of effort returning it to stock.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112564
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Highball116 Good Standing Member
I appreciate that Dorman is offering this as an alternative to the cold air intake. Personally I'm going to do the so-called "stealth CAI", but this is a good option for people who want to maintain their cars but still keep them stock. Not everyone wants the sound of a three-inch pipe. In the same vein, I'm not a huge proponent of fart cans.

Toby
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Interesting to see a replacement for the Stock unit that isn't the typical CAI system.

Stock IS a "Cold Air" unit BTW...

Worth keeping in mind as an alternative.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks