iPod / iPhone Adapter - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
astew151
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115925
What I Drive: 2005 Red Ford Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 astew151 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
iPod / iPhone Adapter

I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST with a stock/factory radio. It is a 6 CD radio, it has the MP3 logo right under where you insert the CD's and it has the AUX button. I have been reading alot about hooking up an iPod/iPhone to the car using an adapter. I am currently looking on oemautosound.com at 2 adapters i could buy. The "FRD04-POD/S" and the "Blitzsafe Ford Auxiliary Audio Adapter". below are both of the links to the webpages with these adapters. "http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-374-112-ford-ipod-iphone-interface-adapter-2005-2010-aux-button-frd04-pods.aspx" & "http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-721-86-blitzsafe-ford-auxiliary-audio-adapter-lincoln-mercury.aspx". I want to know if anybody has used them and if they recomend them. I am leanding toward the FRD04-POD/S because it should charge my iPod/iPhone and i should be able to control it through the radion and the iPod, but i am worried because i have been reading that some adapters disable the CD and radio option. I want to still be able to play CD's and use my radio. My other option (which i do not want to have to resort to) is to get a whole new radio for over $250. Any info would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member
My 2cents. I have an '06, and have (kinda) been in your situation before. The adapter you are 'leaning' towards is probably the one I would also have my heart set on. However, for the money you are going to put towards, pretty much, keeping the uninspiring factory headunit, you may as well upgrade. There's a list of reasons to go aftermarket, of which i'm sure i don't need to note. =P . With that said, you definitely don't need to dish out $250 for a solid h/u that has the functions you want. The h/u I like to "recommend" around here, which is the one I'm picking up for myself real soon (i keep saying that, haha), is the SONY WX-GT90BT , and it's definitely not $250. It's a simple, classy, straight-forward h/u. I say you follow the link, read the options, and hopefully i at least steer you in the right
Team Duratec #42
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
distroy3d
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85129
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 distroy3d Good Standing Member
You don't even need one to buy that big or expensive. You can go to Walmart and find a decent Sony or Pioneer single-DIN deck for probably less than $100 and it will have a USB slot for sure that you can charge/control/play music from your iPod/iPhone. Might even have Bluetooth so you can make/receive calls hands-free

:EDIT:
Here are some cheap iPod ones that I found just by checking the Walmart website to give you an idea...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-Audio...ation/21886626 This one is a bit over the top IMO with a full slide-out iPod dock, but it's cheap and gets the job done. Never heard of the brand either. Might be some cheapo Walmart brand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-De...xtrax/23703090 Simpler design and more popular brand. Just plug your iPod into the USB and you can listen to your music.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-MEX-B...eiver/16207338 Bit more expensive but gets your Bluetooth along with being able to play your iPod via USB.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member
^^ This
Team Duratec #42
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have one that plug into the back of a stock radio and I went that route because it charges the ipod as well as plays music, plus I kinda dig the stock radio look (but I'm in the minority there). You can also control the music through the radio instead of scrolling through all the music on your ipod, so that's way cooler to me.
Mine didn't disable the cd player, but it stopped working about a year after I put the adapter in. I don't think it was the adapters fault at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics".
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Wooley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88736
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 GFX Black on Black

FF Reputation: 1 Wooley Good Standing Member
_fifth_
What stock radio do you have? Do all stock radios have the function to plug into the back? I have the single CD/MP3 radio with steering wheel control 07 ZX3
Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have the single cd player, but no controls on the wheel. I have the standard S model so my car is just everything basic that they needed to have the car actually work hahah

This is the one I have, although when I got it I really don't think it was that expensive to be honest.

I looked up the specs on it and it says it fits all 2006-2007 focuses along with some other model cars so I would assume that the stock radios from the 1.5 gen are the same regardless of the 6 CD changer or controls on the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
astew151
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115925
What I Drive: 2005 Red Ford Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 astew151 Good Standing Member
I appreciate the help everyone. I think im just going to get a new radio. I heard that it makes the sound quality better anyway and after doing some shopping around they arent that much more expensive that the adapters if you do it yourself.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
distroy3d
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85129
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 distroy3d Good Standing Member
More options too. USB, SD card, pandora, cd, radio, Bluetooth, satellite radio... Just find one that suits your needs. Besides if you decide you want to upgrade to a sub later you have a good deck for it now.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks