TORQUE app- post me some logs :) - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #41
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Is there a difference in the ambient air under the mirror at whatever velocity it's at vs the temperature of the air at the intake?
You mean the mirror vs. the ambient sensor in OBD? Evidently not. I'm at a stop in the car now, and the gauge temp reports 88 vs. OBD's 72, same as yesterday at 60-80 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #42
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I fear that our arguments won't be as meaningful now that you know my M.O. ! LOL
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
There is a similar log on a bone stock car in some dyno thread (when I get to a computer I will find it and post the link) and the data showed fairly steady afrs in the 12.5 range IIRC.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA
Found it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I did this log earlier this evening.

0~2 seconds: Steady throttle in 2nd gear. A/F (commanded and actual) is mid to high 14's as expected.

2~10 seconds: WOT, fuel rail pressure goes up to 2000+, A/F (commanded and actual) are in the mid 12's, fuel system remains in closed loop.

10~19 seconds: Foot off the throttle, A/F actual off the scale because of fuel cutoff, fuel system is open loop.

I believe Kabigon also mentioned somewhere in the thread that the car was stock.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
You mean the mirror vs. the ambient sensor in OBD? Evidently not. I'm at a stop in the car now, and the gauge temp reports 88 vs. OBD's 72, same as yesterday at 60-80 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997
Is the "ambient sensor" the same one being used for the outside temperature display as the data being recorded on the OBDII? If so then why is it reading so wildly different values?

If the "ambient" sensor is actually under the hood in an area that's exposed to the higher pressure/ faster moving air it might read cooler, but otherwise I don't get it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Is the "ambient sensor" the same one being used for the outside temperature display as the data being recorded on the OBDII? If so then why is it reading so wildly different values?

If the "ambient" sensor is actually under the hood in an area that's exposed to the higher pressure/ faster moving air it might read cooler, but otherwise I don't get it.
They're not the same, evidently... Mine always read drastically different, and the OBDII sensor is only available when the engine is running. Why mine are drastically different? No idea....
Hatch Nation #90
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #46
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
Found it....

I believe Kabigon also mentioned somewhere in the thread that the car was stock.
Well this does not bode well for the Typhoon...
Hatch Nation #90
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
They're not the same, evidently... Mine always read drastically different, and the OBDII sensor is only available when the engine is running. Why mine are drastically different? No idea....
That's what I thought given the data doesn't match. So where is the car getting the ambient temperature it's using to run based off of? It would make some sense to be using a sensor under the hood, but I wouldn't know which one off hand or where it was reading from.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
I fear that our arguments won't be as meaningful now that you know my M.O. ! LOL
Have no fear, I will debate the same regardless

Quote:
If your ambient isn't changing, maybe it's programmed to just be 72 degrees? I'm sure the engine could care less what ambient temps are, so maybe engineers didn't create the link? All the ECU should really care about is IAT.

Quote:
I don't think it's just the Typhoon. I'm sure that is applicable to everything but the Steeda, Injen, and AEM (which could also not do well, but they are the only ones different MAF housings). Now I'll order the adapter and when it gets here flash the stock tune to see what the Steeda shows.

To make it fair, I'll even throw in the OEM box/filter for same-car comparison as well
2014 FiST-
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #49
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
I don't think there is enough conclusive data to point to the intake just yet. My understanding is that our Ti-VCT has a wide band O2 and remains in closed loop during WOT, and therefor should be able to adjust fueling based on the readings from the O2 sensor (even at WOT). Looking at your log, it seems the AFRs are jumping around like the ECU is trying to make the necessary correction but just cant get it right. I'm wondering if the Ti-VCT may have similar fueling issues as the Mazdaspeed 3 (where the high pressure fuel pump isn't keeping the fuel pressure high enough to provide the correct amount of fuel). If (when) you log again, add fuel rail pressure and commanded AFR to your log.

I have the typhoon also (with exhaust and tune). I'm going to reflash my ecu back to the stock config and log again and compare results.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #50
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Here's a new log, with drastically different results...

This is a straight third gear pull, WOT to redline, w/no downshift. As you can see, commanded AFR and measured AFR are spot on:

I'm starting to wonder if my change of fuel (E0 to E10) just before the first pull had anything to do with the lean AFR...
Hatch Nation #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->