2013 non st performance upgrades non warranty voiding - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
19kfocusman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115792
What I Drive: 2013 focus se black

FF Reputation: 1 19kfocusman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 non st performance upgrades non warranty voiding

Hi I'm new to this website, I have a manual 2013 se and I really just want to make as many performance upgrades as possible without voiding my warranty as much as possible. I just want to know what my possibilities are for performance upgrades. And if they will void my warranty I would still like to know what is out there for future reference

I looked into a racing exhaust and found short shifters and suspension upgrades but not much for power increase.

Yes I know I should have gotten the st but I am not a fan of hatch backs so I avoided it. Thanks for the help if at all possible.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
GN Prime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92475
What I Drive: 2011 sterling gray ses

Points 280, Level 5
Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 GN Prime Good Standing Member
from my understanding is that nothing voids your warranty until they prove that the part caused the failure.
SES #025/ Sedan Revolution #221
Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 4,307, Level 41
Points: 4,307, Level: 41 Points: 4,307, Level: 41 Points: 4,307, Level: 41
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN Prime View Post
from my understanding is that nothing voids your warranty until they prove that the part caused the failure.
This is correct, magnunson moss act. Now in reality is probably different than law, but still it would have to be related.

If you want to play it safe don't do any mods that are not reversible and go back to stock before service. k&n drop in filter is probably the easiest.
It also depends on what you define performance mods as, because suspension does increase performance, however engine related mods would be
cold air intake, exhaust, tune, header. Other mods such as tires,wheels, springs/coils, sway bars, motor mounts are all available and will make the car faster.

Depending on your budget you could add a turbo even, it hasn't been done yet to my knowledge and would not be cheap. You could probably spend 10 thousand on mods and still have things to do, just depends on your time, budget and goals.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

Points 2,976, Level 33
Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33 Points: 2,976, Level: 33
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Seems to me that the K&N drop-in w/snorkel delete and a cat-back exhaust are simple mods that won't do much to trigger a dealer to hassle you about warranty issues. Lots of info here on them.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
I asked my purchasing dealer and the servicing dealer (closer to my house) the same questions when I bought the car and they both said the same thing - cold air intake, cat-back, rear spoiler swap, wheel and tire upgrade, and suspension upgrades all were on the okay list. For now. I'm planning to do mine in stages to ensure the car never gets boring.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,376, Level 95
Points: 24,376, Level: 95 Points: 24,376, Level: 95 Points: 24,376, Level: 95
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
They may tell you that, but reality can be a different story. Mine said the same thing until I added lowering springs. Then, despite clearly having documentation showing that my suspension was clunking and unsolved before the mod, they refused to work on my suspension anymore. So now I have 17,000 miles worth of clunk and a decent stance
2014 FiST-
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
TheBigMortboski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115429
What I Drive: Kenworth T-800

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 TheBigMortboski Newbie
It helps if you have a mod-friendly dealer. I've heard horror stories on other car/truck forums about dealers, but my dealer has their own "high-performance tech" where that's all he does. Lifts, lowers, superchargers, you name it. Some of the service writers would even tell you how to reset your computer if you have a programmer, so if you bring it in for service, there's no issues.

That said, they did deny a warranty claim for a guy that was bragging about his straight pipe exhaust and power programmer in his 6.0L diesel truck, did a smoky burnout leaving the dealer, and brought it back a week later with a bad engine. That was a $13K screw-up. But c'mon dude, what did you expect?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
Our dealers encourage buying things off the shelf and in Atlanta there is a Ford approved dealer that SELLS and installs Ford Racing parts. The local dealers can only install them.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,376, Level 95
Points: 24,376, Level: 95 Points: 24,376, Level: 95 Points: 24,376, Level: 95
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Camaro_L69 View Post
Our dealers encourage buying things off the shelf and in Atlanta there is a Ford approved dealer that SELLS and installs Ford Racing parts. The local dealers can only install them.
FRPP is usually exempt because they are still Ford parts. It would be different ordering a set of Eibach springs and having a side shop install them.

Edit: I don't mean that they're exempt but that they typically carry their own warranty (usually 3 years or 36,000 miles) when installed by a certified dealership.
2014 FiST-
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
19kfocusman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115792
What I Drive: 2013 focus se black

FF Reputation: 1 19kfocusman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
This is correct, magnunson moss act. Now in reality is probably different than law, but still it would have to be related.

If you want to play it safe don't do any mods that are not reversible and go back to stock before service. k&n drop in filter is probably the easiest.
It also depends on what you define performance mods as, because suspension does increase performance, however engine related mods would be
cold air intake, exhaust, tune, header. Other mods such as tires,wheels, springs/coils, sway bars, motor mounts are all available and will make the car faster.

Depending on your budget you could add a turbo even, it hasn't been done yet to my knowledge and would not be cheap. You could probably spend 10 thousand on mods and still have things to do, just depends on your time, budget and goals.
Thanks everyone, all this information is great. I personally don't know very much about working on cars but I have a friend who is very great with vehicles. With his help I can personally install all these parts my self and avoid the cost's of labor.

My budget isn't really limited, I wan't my Focus to be fast and perform well. I love my little car but it's time for some upgrades.

So what I am looking at right now is the Cat-Back exhaust system from FRPP, as well as the handling pack.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.