2007 focus zx4 replacing fuel filter tips - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Dougmilliner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111002
What I Drive: 2007 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Dougmilliner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 focus zx4 replacing fuel filter tips

Hey guys I'm in the process of replacing the fuel filter on my 2007 focus. I haven't replaced the fuel filter on a vehicle before. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted via FF Mobile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Take the fuel pressure off the system before you start. Remove the passenger side kick panel, unplug the fuel cutoff switch that is there. Then crank the engine and it will remove fuel pressure. If you don't, you stand the risk of going to the hospital with gasoline in your eyes. I wouldn't get right under the filter either. Don't remove the clips. Push in on the white rectangle. Wiggle and pull. Purchase a Microguard filter from O'Reilleys and it comes with the right clips in case you break one. Remove the small section of line going back to the fuel tank with the filter and bracket. You'll need a 1/4 extension and 5/16 or 8mm deep well to remove the screw holding the bracket to the car.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
There are two different types of clips on the 2007 fuel filter. One has a large white rectangle and you push in on the rectangle like its a button.

The second one has a smaller white rectangle and if you examine/feel the other side you will see two prongs sticking out. For that one you squeeze the prongs together am push in on the prongs. The white rectangle will then be pushed out. You can pul on the rectangle but do not try to remove it, that will break it. I'll try to post some flicks.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
There's only one type of clip. The one you're seeing- on the side closest to the tank- is simply the back side. Follow that line about 6" back towards the tank, and you'll see a clip that you can reach the front- white rectangular- of the clip. That one points down, the line goes away from the clip horizontally, then turns up, and there is a fitting with a clip right there. It's extremely easy to remove since you can get your whole hand around the line and fitting. Remove that line with the fuel filter, and once you get it out from under the car, it's easy to rotate it so you can remove the other side from the filter.

Eventually the clip will break. Look for new clips. Doorman makes clips, you can buy a bag of 20 or so if you find a site that sells Doorman products. You can also get clips if you purchase the fuel filter kit I mentioned above. I am collecting clips since the way I describe removing the filter doesn't break the clips, at least not after 6 removals or so. I do expect the clips to break eventually.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
2007 Fuel Clips - Two Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
There's only one type of clip. The one you're seeing- on the side closest to the tank- is simply the back side. Follow that line about 6" back towards the tank, and you'll see a clip that you can reach the front- white rectangular- of the clip. That one points down, the line goes away from the clip horizontally, then turns up, and there is a fitting with a clip right there. It's extremely easy to remove since you can get your whole hand around the line and fitting. Remove that line with the fuel filter, and once you get it out from under the car, it's easy to rotate it so you can remove the other side from the filter.

Eventually the clip will break. Look for new clips. Doorman makes clips, you can buy a bag of 20 or so if you find a site that sells Doorman products. You can also get clips if you purchase the fuel filter kit I mentioned above. I am collecting clips since the way I describe removing the filter doesn't break the clips, at least not after 6 removals or so. I do expect the clips to break eventually.
First my statements pertain ONLY to the 2007 Ford Focus SES, the vehicle I own and for which I have the Ford Workshop Manual. Other years and models may or may not have a similar clip configuration. I can tell you that my vehicle uses both clip types on the fuel filter. Other forum members have found the same clip configuration on Focus vehicles.

It seems to be a common misconception that there is only one type of clip. This most likely contributes to the high rate of clip breakage found on this forum. The link below points to a pdf extract of the Ford Workshop Manual explaining how the two different clips operate.

2007 Fuel Clips - Two Types - Ford Workshop Manual

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
rkjjeep
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42046
What I Drive: 2007 Silver 5 door

FF Reputation: 2 rkjjeep Good Standing Member
What milton said was the way my 2007 is as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

I see. I wonder if they will change to that type of clip on everything now. Ford is quite silly when it comes to changing things around on vehicles from year to year, same body style, no apparent reasoning. Parts not broken but they fix it anyway.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks