Ticking sound and stalled - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
818_focusLover
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115899
What I Drive: silver, 2003 ford focuis, 5speed

FF Reputation: 1 818_focusLover Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ticking sound and stalled

Hey guys,
I have a 2004 Focus 5speed
A few days ago i was driving my car and i was in second gear where out of no where the car stalled, It didn't turn off, but it felt like the car didn't get gas or spark for a second, then it did it again in 3rd gear. This happened a few times and it stooped. Then today, just now, I was driving and i kept hearing these ticking noises, kinda like when you pass little rocks on the road and they hit under the fender type of noise. Then i noticed that the lights on the odometer got witter for a sec and few things, such as the high beam indicator, turned of and on couple times real quick. Any idea what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
sounds like a power supply issue and your relays are clicking on and off due to a loss of power. check your battery connections and your positive cable wire.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Do you know if your engine says either

ZETEC 16v

or

Split Port

On it? To me it sounds like you could have an alternator issue bouncing gauges blinking/haunted lights can be caused from the alternator, they will sometimes also make knocking noises... Can you identify if it's coming from the engine or the alt?

You can put a screwdriver to your ear and place the shrap end on the engine to help locate the noise.

If you have a split port it could be worse, that is the only reason I ask... but let's not jump to that yet...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I second the clicking relays being the described sound.
Battery connections loose, or some other bad wire or connection.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

I dont think it would be an alternator issue. i think he'd be seeing the warning light for lack of charging and would be jumping his car and yes if the voltage regulator has failed internally its possible, but id definitely start with the positive wire, loose contact, or check for a voltage drop from the terminal to terminal end. if you have a dmm(multimeter) you can check voltage to confirm that the alternator is working. should really be around 14 or higher. Its possible to have a buildup on the terminal other than corrosion causing a voltage drop. I know the zetec engines have had an issue with the wiring contacting the block, shorting, overheating, etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Yeah, actually I agree with squareleft and elsolo, that should be the place to start... My head was obviously else ware
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
818_focusLover
Focus Rookie

thank you guys. I will look into the battery tomorrow morning and keep you posted.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
check your fender, block and any other central grounds as well. an open ground circuit can do all sorts of funky things... like operate the wipers when you press the horn. lol.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
818_focusLover
Focus Rookie

ok guys so this morning the car made that noise again, and almost stalled once, then check engine light came on. The code is P1235

here is the description link
http://engine-codes.com/p1235.html

do you guys still this that the battery can cause this?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Oddly i had that same code coincidentally around the same time mine was acting like yours. P1235 I am pretty sure it was unrelated. I fixed my wiring, 65000 miles later that code has never come back.
Even if it was for a faulty fuel pump module i dont feel it would explain the clicking cause you shouldnt have a loss of power just gas.

Dead cells in batteries can cause a lot of issues. Mostly electrical unexplainable stuff.

I would still diagnose your electrical problem first. rule out the easy and obvious. 9 times out of ten the most baffling problems are the easiest and obvious to fix. we tend to overcomplicate things when problems seem drastic.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->