Steering Wheel Issue? (Got into FIRST ACCIDENT) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
TacoBelle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115765
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 TacoBelle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Steering Wheel Issue? (Got into FIRST ACCIDENT)

I got my new Focus in February and it was great...until today.

I was driving 55MPH down the interstate and I lost complete control of the wheel. I gripped onto it trying to keep it steady but it kept swerving. Being that it was on a busy interstate and I was already in the left lane, the swerving cause a huge scrape on the left rear and half of the bumper ended up hanging off. I read that there were similar steering wander issues in the 2012 model but mine is 2013...

Now I'm terrified that this is going to happen again. Is it me or the car? I hope it's not me because I'm 30 and I have been driving since 16. This is my first accident! WTF! What now? How expensive is this going to be? UGH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 4 Milton Good Standing Member
How expensive? What's your deductible ?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
TacoBelle
Focus Rookie

They're estimating it to be $6000 in damages. My deductible is $500.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If the car was swerving with the steering wheel trying to turn while you attempted to hold it straight - THIS NEEDS INVESTIGATION!

NHTSA level complaint.

Dealer to start with, and they should get the manufacturer involved in the investigation.

It's quite possible that you should end up with a replacement vehicle, AND an explanation of the cause after the investigation is complete.

Likely "Lawyer Time" to deal with this, get all records & reports together - and record every communication (date, time, content, who's involved).

Unless you were in the midst of Severe Weather tossing you around, it really sounds like a major issue here.

Luck!

S.R. #275

Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

P.S. - most reports of steering issues I've seen involved either "wandering" slightly when driving straight ("too many corrections needed, hard to hold perfectly straight") or total failure issues (typically warning light with assist failure, OK when stopped & restarted)

This sounds quite different, and absent major weather issues (hydroplaning, wind), is a very serious fault to be investigated IMHO.

PPS - If you look in the MKIII section here, new car issue archive, you'll find a LONG thread detailing these issues including the tsb for the 2012 cars. Just reviewed quite a bit of it myself, worth your time to read some of it. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...play.php?f=124

S.R. #275

Last edited by sailor; 06-14-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: PPS
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
TacoBelle
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If the car was swerving with the steering wheel trying to turn while you attempted to hold it straight - THIS NEEDS INVESTIGATION!

Unless you were in the midst of Severe Weather tossing you around, it really sounds like a major issue here.

Luck!
I'm just really lucky that the highway wasn't busy and no one else was involved. It swerved like it would on black ice. It shouldn't have happened in mostly clear, 70 degree weather. Should I be asking the autobody shop to look for specific things on the car?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

It would be good to read those descriptions from others with steering issues - not all by any means, just enough to see if your problem was as different as it sounded.

"stiff" when held straight, hard to turn to correct, then turns too easy leading to over correction & swerving is one typical description.

Your description of gripping to hold it steady, with the wheel trying to swerve was what got my attention. Car moving like on ice, and you trying to steer it straight would be a different issue.

Check out that thread a bit, and tell us more about what happened & how it felt please.

Cheers!

(And welcome to FF, wish the circumstances were better!)

S.R. #275

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
TacoBelle
Focus Rookie

Thanks. I am really starting to think that there is a steering rack issue. This poster's description is almost exactly the same except I can't go over 50 MPH. Can this suddenly go faulty? My husband and I just drove 250 miles (top speed at 70MPH) two weekends ago.

Geez....
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

One post from that MKIII area I referred to was a problem after over 40,000 mi. - so it seems in at least some cases steering problems can show up that weren't present previously.

Mechanical/electrical problems aren't anything a body shop can look at, this in particular needs Dealer equipment/info./expertise as a starting point. Some data from the system might need to be sent to Ford Corporate for diagnosis as well.

IMHO, the car should go straight to a Dealer as is, without anyone else working on it first. It's hard to get the full assistance you may be entitled to from the Manufacturer AFTER other repair facilities have been involved without their previous inspection & authorization.

Writing out a full description of the incident, while it's still clear in your memory, would be helpful. It's hard to get all the details straight, and remember all you'd like to include, during a conversation at the Dealership.

If you don't let them know, there's no way they can help!

Luck!

( I'm sure you don't want another problem, so it's worth the time to go through the process to get things done right)

S.R. #275

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBelle View Post
Thanks. I am really starting to think that there is a steering rack issue...
Hi TacoBelle,

If you haven't already, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Relationship Center immediately so they can assist you. They can be contacted at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks