Which Focus??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114174
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 outdoorsman704 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Which Focus???

So I'll finally be getting my first car and am pretty set on a focus. I've got the choice between a 2009 ford focus coupe or a 2005 ford focus hatchback. All things equal, which do you guys prefer? I like the modern features of the coupe but I also like the hatchbacks larger storage space and better price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
SteezMuffin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99549
What I Drive: 2009 Sterling Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 SteezMuffin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2nd Gen all the way!
SR #237 | CUSE
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
I would enjoy the '09.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Yeah, I'm really diggin' the 2nd gen too, but I'll probably replace those god awful snowflake rims.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
HilloNative
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43548
What I Drive: '04 EAP Sonic Blue SVT, '04 Ranger

FF Reputation: 4 HilloNative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Ahahahah second gen? ahahahaha good joke.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Depends. We have one of each gen style- course our 06 is a sedan- it's the same era focus. I think the 05 has more convience features and more storage places, it fits shorter people well with the arm rest in the right place, the trottle is more responsive being cable actuated. There's more aftermarket parts available over a wider number of years. And it's the classic hot hatch style that's been so popular. Plus, hatch can sometimes hold more stuff.

On the other hand, I love my 09 because the lines are reminiscent of classic muscle bodies, I like having a trunk to hide my junk in, and an excuse to not help people move stuff :) I think the inside has cleaner lines and a more refined feel, as does the outside. I like the gauge orientation and larger center console. If it has sync, that's a nice feature (if you have the right phone!). A lot of parts from earlier years work on these, but not quite as much customizing available. If its a later 09 you get a trunk button, compass and thermometer. **really important point- the 09 gets much better gas mileage. And it's 4 years newer.

Both have the duratech engine and require most of the same maintenance parts, so up keep is about the same.

The 05 will require fuel filter changes, the 09 won't.

What trim packages are the two?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensDriven View Post
Depends. We have one of each gen style- course our 06 is a sedan- it's the same era focus. I think the 05 has more convience features and more storage places, it fits shorter people well with the arm rest in the right place, the trottle is more responsive being cable actuated. There's more aftermarket parts available over a wider number of years. And it's the classic hot hatch style that's been so popular. Plus, hatch can sometimes hold more stuff.

On the other hand, I love my 09 because the lines are reminiscent of classic muscle bodies, I like having a trunk to hide my junk in, and an excuse to not help people move stuff :) I think the inside has cleaner lines and a more refined feel, as does the outside. I like the gauge orientation and larger center console. If it has sync, that's a nice feature (if you have the right phone!). A lot of parts from earlier years work on these, but not quite as much customizing available. If its a later 09 you get a trunk button, compass and thermometer. **really important point- the 09 gets much better gas mileage. And it's 4 years newer.

Both have the duratech engine and require most of the same maintenance parts, so up keep is about the same.

I like my '09 and I am one of the smaller group of people who like the more "chiseled" lines of the car. Coupe is definitely the way to go though. I think the coupe looks a lot better than the sedan, but then again I don't like 4 door vehicles.

And I love being able to put all my music on a flash drive. Microsoft Sync FTW.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensDriven View Post

The 09 is SE and the 05 is SE also, I believe.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
outdoorsman704
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilloNative View Post
Ahahahah second gen? ahahahaha good joke.
The 2nd gen may not have been as popular as the first but I still think its a pretty solid car.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
LensDriven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111184
What I Drive: 2006 Blk ZX4 SES, 2009 Blu Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 1 LensDriven Good Standing Member
Yeah, I think if they're both SE's, unless you're solidly a hatch person, I'd go for the 09. I like mine cause its not as common ;) a lot of first gen and 1.5's around my area. When I drive the 06 there's been a few times there's 4 or 5 of us at a light. Hasn't happened with the 09 yet!

Bookmarks & Social Networks