**synthetic or not? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
No oil should ever be changed by how many miles are on it, and a change schedule should never be determined by what the internet recommends.

There is only 1 correct way to find out how far you can push change intervals safely, Used Oil Analysis. This is where you take a sample of new oil and samples at various times to find out the condition of the oil at that point in time and the condition of the oil. You mail it in and they mail back recommendations.

My gripe with mile ratings is that no one is stating their typical driving style, routes or anything. You don't know if they do 90% stop and go or lots of highway driving. That all makes a big difference.
lifecycle and service Basing oil changes on run time hours is more accurate, but not exact. Running hours figures that the oil has seen near the same amount of contaminates. Think hours run vs 30mph average over 3,000 miles (100 hours) vs 60mph average (50 hours). Significant difference there.

Spend the maybe $50 to find out how far you can push oil. In the long run it will save you money if you stick to the schedule.
Not correct and I couldn't disagree more. I was a lab oil test engineer for a major oil company.

Specifically, forum members should follow manufacturers service recommendations instead of listening to somebody telling them to "push" oil service intervals based upon oil sample test results. That is a bizarre, reactive method and bad approach. Modern synthetics will last well beyond mfr recommended intervals even when seeing the most extreme taxi or police severe duty use. Follow the recommendations and the motor will far outlast the chassis (300K+ mi). This has been my experience since 1980 when I began using 100% synthetics. Spending $50 for an oil sampling analysis (trying to extend intervals) is totally stupid, especially when #1 premium synthetic oils with filter can be purchased for $35. Changing oil twice as often as recommended is cheaper than doing oil tests and will provide better protection. Wear varies with seasons, temps and countless other variables. Taking action based upon oil test results is a totally reactive measure. Wear and impurities can't be reversed. It is better to avoid it thru more frequent oil changes. Taxi runtime per mile is worse than other duty and police cars are flogged with acceptable lifecycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjchops View Post
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, I have a 2011 Focus SES that I bought new, I just hit 61,000 miles and I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil, is there any benefits to this? I've been using conventional oil every 3k miles since new so I'm looking for some feedback, I'm intending on keeping this car as long as I can, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Did you get your 2011 Focus oil changed at the dealer before? Ford has been recommending use of synthetic oil for the last 15 yrs. It has been widely used since before Y2K.

The only thing that changed over the years was syn blend vs 100%. This mostly affects maximum lifecycle of the oil. Syn oil doesn't make much sense from a price standpoint. You'd only save about $5 per oil change.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In my view the improvement was more from PCMs controlling fuel/air much better than before to hold down oil contamination much better. ALL engines pretty much went through an increase in life and the syn had really nothing to do with it since not widely used back then. The factory suggested OCI intervals went way up around '80 or so, then dropped again once dealers realized how much service money they were losing. I've NEVER used synthetic and saw my engine life go way way up since around then and on every car after that with a computer on it. I do however agree that the syn oil will extend life even more. But even the conventional seems to work better. I missed the zinc at first when they pulled it, but whatever friction modifiers they replaced it with sure seem to work pretty dang good as I cannot seem to kill engines anywhere as fast as the old days.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Not correct and I couldn't disagree more. I was a lab oil test engineer for a major oil company.

Specifically, forum members should follow manufacturers service recommendations instead of listening to somebody telling them to "push" oil service intervals based upon oil sample test results. That is a bizarre, reactive method and bad approach. Modern synthetics will last well beyond mfr recommended intervals even when seeing the most extreme taxi or police severe duty use. Follow the recommendations and the motor will far outlast the chassis (300K+ mi). This has been my experience since 1980 when I began using 100% synthetics. Spending $50 for an oil sampling analysis (trying to extend intervals) is totally stupid, especially when #1 premium synthetic oils with filter can be purchased for $35. Changing oil twice as often as recommended is cheaper than doing oil tests and will provide better protection. Wear varies with seasons, temps and countless other variables. Taking action based upon oil test results is a totally reactive measure. Wear and impurities can't be reversed. It is better to avoid it thru more frequent oil changes. Taxi runtime per mile is worse than other duty and police cars are flogged with acceptable lifecycle.
God I love mythbusting from people who actually know what they are talking about

Internet hero status.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
To the op, I use Mobil 1 w/ a desent filter.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Maybe one should look at how some of those factory recommended intervals have changed through the years...........While I wouldn't pay for analysis either, you can use others doing so to modify your own thoughts on the subject. There is really no reason to go 3000 mile OCI either, except personal feeling.

'Modern synthetics will last well beyond mfr recommended intervals even when seeing the most extreme taxi or police severe duty use.'

If that is actually true then in and of itself lays waste to the factory service recommendations to a certain extent. Or, not best evidence.

'Spending $50 for an oil sampling analysis (trying to extend intervals) is totally stupid.........'

I hope that doesn't mean the factory thinks the same way and just picked the intervals out of thin air without research............

Many actions in life are reactive, that does not automatically make them necessarily bad approaches.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
KCaudill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46826
What I Drive: 2006 Tredour Red ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 KCaudill Good Standing Member
I have a 06 ZX3 bought brand new off the lot. The car has ~212k miles todate. I have been running Royal Purple since the car was 20K miles old, Between 20K and 80K miles I did the Used Oil Testing to determine oil change intervals. The results show that with my driving habbits, 99% freeway at ~75mph, that I can change my oil at 10K with out any oil degradation. I say go Synthetic. but also stay synthetic.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone!

Your best bet is to follow the guidelines for oil changes as outlined in your Owner's Manual. You can download a free copy of your manual here: http://owner.ford.com. Additionally, you can download coupons for service and schedule future maintenance appointments. If you have any questions, give the service manager at your local Ford dealership a call; they'll be happy to help out.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
amc49
Focus Fanatic

No surprise there eh?

Uh, the guidelines for oil change intervals are more likely to be found in the maintenance schedules rather than owner's manuals. Owners only shows HOW to change it not WHEN......................
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post

'Modern synthetics will last well beyond mfr recommended intervals even when seeing the most extreme taxi or police severe duty use.'

If that is actually true then in and of itself lays waste to the factory service recommendations to a certain extent. Or, not best evidence.

'Spending $50 for an oil sampling analysis (trying to extend intervals) is totally stupid.........'

I hope that doesn't mean the factory thinks the same way and just picked the intervals out of thin air without research............

Many actions in life are reactive, that does not automatically make them necessarily bad approaches.
The factory service recommendations obviously need to take worst case into account, things like:

1) lady who drives 2 miles to bingo each day, parking outdoors in Anchorage, Alaska.
2) car that uses a qt of oil every 1K mi due to marginal ring seal.
3) guy who runs the cheapest oil available that meets specs.

Even in this extreme case, the mfr is conservatively basing their recommendations on many thousands or even millions of vehicles throughout the world after examining consumer surveys, actual failure rates discovered in factory shops and analyzing modes of failure. This is hardly a thin air or coin flip approach. They offer sound advice that can only be duplicated by an owner willing to do destructive testing on their own hardware. No thanks, I'll let other consumers handle that, thank you lol. The recommended oil change intervals will not break the bank.

Reactive maintenance methods are seldom wise for complex equipment, systems or living beings. That would be more appropriate for light bulbs, fuses or maybe haircuts. This is how some people get terminal cancer that can't be cured. Go to the doctor on a regular basis for preventive care and testing, instead of waiting for sweating, pain and scary lumps to appear. Don't quit sleeping, eating well or getting exercise then see how long you can avoid the doctor's office.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->