Overheating and running a bit rough - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Damon_dolo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102610
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Damon_dolo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey guys, I tried to do a bit of searching on this myself, not finding a lot of good help, so I figured I'd just ask here.

One time in the past I can remember my car overheating. It was New Year's Eve 2013 and my car had been sitting idling for a bit waiting for my buddy to come back out to the car. We'd been driving for a few hours looking for something to do so I just chalked it up to overworking the car that night. Not really had an issue with overheating since. However, the car does have a bit of a sputter that every now and then (once or twice a month) where when I let out the clutch in first, no matter how smoothly I do it (have been driving a stick for 5 years or so, and feel I'm pretty good with it) it will bog down and fall on it's face. It's never died, but it bogs down and lurches pretty hard 99/100 times it won't do this, then every now and then it gets to where it does this bogging in 1st and second, and you can kinda hear it running a bit rough and sputtering while driving. Like I said it doesn't do it much, so I never cared that much.

The last few days it has been doing this pretty consistently, and definitely seems to be getting worse. I meant to check out the plugs and wires (which are fairly new) and the coils. But tonight I was sitting in the Burger King drive thru for about fifteen minutes for my order, and when I left it was doing the sputtering a good amount. Enough for my gf to ask me what the hell was going on. Once I get up into third and higher it seems fine, so after we got going down the road it kinda slipped to the back of my head. Then I looked down and saw my car was approaching the red bar on the temp gauge. Tonight has been one of the hotter days we've had in a while, but not so hot it would overheat when it never even crosses the half mark. I never hear my cooling fans kick on, but when I was slowing down to stop twice today and engine and road noise died out I could hear them running. But, back to the drive home, I kicked up the heat in the car full blast to drain some heat out of the engine bay and it worked. I got back to my girlfriends house and still had an eight mile drive home so I let it cool with the hood open for about fifteen before I tried to go home. Sure enough on the way home it started to over heat again and I kicked up the heat to keep it cool til I got home. I just checked the coolant level for the reservoir when I change my oil a few weeks ago, and it was a bit low, but nowhere near the minimum line. I haven't noticed any white smoke indicating a head gasket or cracked head, and I haven't seen any leaks under the car. I'm not sure what's going on or where to start so any help would be appreciated. I grouped both problems in one thread because I found it off that the same time it started getting worse with the sputtering it overheated. Not sure how those two would be connected but thought I'd mention it. If there's anything I forgot to mention just ask. Thanks guys!

Last edited by iminhell; 06-13-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,994, Level 100
Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Are your fans coming on ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,323, Level 51
Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I would first inspect the thermostat housing for signs of leaking. Also, check the wiring harness for the radiator fans to see any signs of loose wires, or fraying.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Damon_dolo
Focus Rookie

I just checks the thermostat housing. No leaks that I can see. Plan on changing out the thermostat itself in case it's failing and stuck last night. Also not overheating today. When I left work for lunch I drove it around with the ac on full blast and when I got to my house I left it running an popped the good. Both fans were running. Now my thinking Is either there's a short with the fan(s) and they work today, but weren't last night, or the thermostat is close to failing and got stuck last night, but has freed itself today.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
Verify you are actually overheating by using the digital odometer trick it may not be overheating instead the gage could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Damon_dolo
Focus Rookie

It usually stays right in the middle of my gauge. It never does what it did last night. Plus, there are times I get out and feel the good and it is a good amount hotter than it should be.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Points 6,323, Level 51
Level Up 87% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
See if these help any:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...or+fan+harness

Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,041, Level 69
Points: 11,041, Level: 69 Points: 11,041, Level: 69 Points: 11,041, Level: 69
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 76 sailor Excellent Standing Member
For the overheating issue, it sounds like your low speed function of the radiator fans isn't working. Most common cause is the resistor pack burning out, that's what slows them down & when that gives out low speed won't work.

Search "Cooling fan resistor" and you'll find a lot of info. on this.

Check it out B4 getting parts, the wiring connector is often damaged as well. If it is, you can get a new "pigtail" connector to replace it.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Damon_dolo
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the input tonight guys. I was busy all day after work and haven't had time to mess with it. Ill take a look at it tomorrow evening and see what I find and then ill update you guys tomorrow!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Points 6,323, Level 51
Level Up 87% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Sweet, that first link I posted has just the information Sailor was talking about, regarding the resistor pack. Hopefully that's all it is!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.