Stock, Intake, back to stock - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Okidoki78
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90522
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Metallic HB

FF Reputation: 1 Okidoki78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stock, Intake, back to stock

So I had recently (last few months) had the Steeda air intake on the Focus. It sounded nice, there was slightly less of a bogging on acceleration, and maybe there was some added HP. But, I recently took it off and went to stock...might be selling for an SUV. Anyway, going back to stock I don't "feel" any difference which make me think these things don't do much..except sound cool. Anyone else go back and forth and have the same experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
I plan to buy one soon. That news is the opposite of what I've read on other post.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Okidoki78
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90522
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Metallic HB

FF Reputation: 1 Okidoki78 Good Standing Member
Well, I guess what I mean is how do you feel 3-5 HP? Not to get into an argument, just my observation.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I find this interesting, because I do think there is some amount of placebo in installing an intake. I was considering getting one, but I ended up buying a K&N drop in, and doing a snorkel delete with a sort of custom ram air in the grill under the drivers side whisker.

The reason I did this was that Dyn085 did some dyno comparisons between the CAI's and the setup I went with (K&N with snorkel delete) and found that there was almost as much gain from the drop in as there was from the full CAI. About 8HP from the drop in/ snorkel delete, and 10-12 from the Steeda CAI.

Now for the interesting part, After installing my setup, and taking the car for a drive, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. But now that I have had the setup on the car for a few weeks, there are times where I am sure there is more power.

The general rule of thumb is that it is hard to notice less than a 10% gain, which would be about 15HP on our cars, so it makes sense to me that this approx. 8HP gain would be just noticeable in some cases. I'm curious to see what others have to say on this.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
I am in the same boat...lots and lots of reading and research and then concluding that the drop-in with snorkel delete was about the same minus the cool-factor and sound as a CAI. I am also-by-the way not discounting those last two points. I still may like to get a CAI at some point but agree that placebo is a strong possibiity here regardless of what the dyno says in terms of what you feel when you drive. This is about the same to me as upgrades to my mountain bike...some probably have no real benefit but I do them anyway because it is what I like to do.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There is a good reason that companies like Cobb for instance are keeping the stock box on the ST and just improving upon it (Cobb with a drop in and better tubing after, and FRPP with a snorkel scoop) http://www.cobbtuning.com/Ford-Focus...m-p/791100.htm. Heck, look at the prototype Roush intake for the ST. It is just a stock box with a drop in and a hole cut in the top and sealed to the hood for sound more or less.

The stock system is very efficient, and more so with some tweaks. Many of the CAIs do see gains, but you have to remember that they were probably tested with the hood up, on a dyno, with controlled temps (ie no heat soak).

With more mods, maybe the CAI would pull ahead significantly if temps are kept under control, but for where we are currently, the stock system with tweaks is simply the best bang for the buck.

Unless you just HAVE to have that annoying sound...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
BTW, the ST has essentially the same box as the NA Focus. With the snorkel already deleted...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
I find this interesting, because I do think there is some amount of placebo in installing an intake. I was considering getting one, but I ended up buying a K&N drop in, and doing a snorkel delete with a sort of custom ram air in the grill under the drivers side whisker.

The reason I did this was that Dyn085 did some dyno comparisons between the CAI's and the setup I went with (K&N with snorkel delete) and found that there was almost as much gain from the drop in as there was from the full CAI. About 8HP from the drop in/ snorkel delete, and 10-12 from the Steeda CAI.

Now for the interesting part, After installing my setup, and taking the car for a drive, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. But now that I have had the setup on the car for a few weeks, there are times where I am sure there is more power.

The general rule of thumb is that it is hard to notice less than a 10% gain, which would be about 15HP on our cars, so it makes sense to me that this approx. 8HP gain would be just noticeable in some cases. I'm curious to see what others have to say on this.
Well, that's mostly true but it's a little more difficult than that. My dyno work was between OEM, the snorkel-delete/drop-in, and the Tyhpoon. The Typhoon definitely ended up with with more power (around 5+hp, iirc), but it gave up that much on the lower end up to somewhere around 3200rpm or so. The drop-in itself had no change in power, but throttle response was greatly improved. When combined with the snorkel-delete is when the power addition was realized and it was well over 50% of what the Typhoon registered, approximately 20% of the cost, and still producing more power in rpm ranges that the majority of people will be experiencing most of the time. I'm pretty confident that it is the 'overall best' for the majority of the Focus population that use the car as a DD.

As for the butt-dyno, it is correct that most of these gains will be very slightly noticed by the majority. Most of what is actually noticed is driveability changes such as throttle response and linearity. Don't go as far as saying that they 'don't do anything' because it is definitely proven that they do. But in saying that, you are definitely not going to be knocking a second off of a quarter-mile time either. If you were able to have a few modifications done (i.e.-intake, exhaust, tune) and then step into a straight OEM car running 87 octane-you would notice the difference immediately.

I recently picked up the Steeda intake (I firmly believe it produces the most power overall and my previous setup doesn't 'show' well) secondhand and I actually miss my previous setup in some cases. I can feel that it is not as linear and I feel as though I can notice the variable cam timing with it. Previously I just had a nice and even pull all the way to redline with no discernible dips or increases in power.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Steeda produces great power at midrange and excellent power at high end. For a daily driver who is going to drive nice for gas mileage you will not notice that big of a difference. Overall I like the green filter which almost makes good power and with the stock box it works nicely. I feel that the green filter though does not have consistent power but has small spikes and dips. K&n drop in provides the most consistent power out of all the intakes for all types of driving including those driving like a grandma.

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Ok after reading all the threads until wee hours in the morning and talking to my two Ford dealers unless they install Ford Racing parts they will look for any thing to get out of warranty. Already found this out for a fact had two tires go flat on same side of car bubble in side wall and black tar on rims from deep pot hole on a dark road when lost. They claimed I hit a curb even after I told then pot hole and showed them black tar not concrete scratches contacted the warranty company and they would cover it if they sent in pictures it's a losing situation trying to get them to do anything.

So I'm sticking with the drop in the way I have it now might pull lunch box off not cut and build a straight tail pipe that can be swapped out for warranty work until I hit 100,000 miles next year (extended free from purchasing dealer) already feeling another clutch pack coming on just before 60,000 end of factory.
That story is car was perfect until 20,000 when they did update with out letting me know then it went down hill clutch slipping if 4th and 6th vibration at 45 mph put new tires helped a little had it jerk two times making a u-turn in the gas station like it wasn't all the way in gears there answer no problem found at every oil change. My second dealer replaced the clutch pack @ 35,000 miles and was like new until now a faint slipping and they will not flash down back the way it was I need a tune bad you think.

Now when the valve guide seals, rings, and gaskets start leaking some where around 300,000 miles fingers crossed I'll add power that will be felt even in the car next to you like 900 hp boss with a 9 inch rear end.

Bookmarks & Social Networks