2013 SE Sedan Throttle 'sticks' - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
vettetrn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117827
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE 5-spd Htchbk Blk

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 vettetrn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've been driving manual transmissions since I've been a teen...30 years now. This specific issue is with a 2013 Focus manual transmission. This has nothing to do with past Focus Models. I should not have to pay for a tune to correct a problem that should corrected by the manufacturer. I'll pay for a tune, when I want to adjust the performance of the Focus. Are you interested in some Swamp Land in Florida? You can fill the swamp in at your cost instead of me after I sell it to you. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
vettetrn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117827
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE 5-spd Htchbk Blk

Points 9, Level 1
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 vettetrn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Keep me posted on how things go at the dealership, vettetrn. I'll be here if you need any assistance.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal, no response from the Ford Service Department today. I've never experienced anything like this with all the years I've driven a manual. The hard acceleration really stands out, it like missing a shift...the engine winds up the RPMs, but you don't have your foot on the accelerator.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #33
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettetrn View Post
I've been driving manual transmissions since I've been a teen...30 years now. This specific issue is with a 2013 Focus manual transmission. This has nothing to do with past Focus Models. I should not have to pay for a tune to correct a problem that should corrected by the manufacturer. I'll pay for a tune, when I want to adjust the performance of the Focus. Are you interested in some Swamp Land in Florida? You can fill the swamp in at your cost instead of me after I sell it to you. :D

Ah, that must be the issue, I've only been driving manuals for 25 years... :rolleyes:

The subject of this thread is not just an issue with the 2013, BTW, my 2012 does it too, as well as the 2001 I've been driving for 13 years. If you think you have a specific problem that doesn't apply to the OP and the rest of us, perhaps you should start a new thread.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

Points 65, Level 1
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
This behavior is definitely not normal, and my '13 Focus with a manual has no hint of it.

A bad idle air control valve can cause problems with idle speed that would trigger this sort of behavior. If the dealer is stumped, I'd specifically ask about the IAC valve.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5karl View Post
This behavior is definitely not normal, and my '13 Focus with a manual has no hit of it.

A bad idle air control valve can cause problems with idle speed that would trigger this sort of behavior. If the dealer is stumped, I'd specifically ask about the IAC valve.
I'm going to retract what I said before. It appears that vettetrn and the OP have a different issue than the majority of those commenting in this thread, including me. ALL Focuses have rev "hang" built-in for emissions purposes, but if the revs are actually climbing after you've come off the throttle, well, that is obviously not normal.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

Points 854, Level 15
Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15 Points: 854, Level: 15
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettetrn View Post
I've seen plenty of people who have been driving manual transmission for that duration of time who completely suck at it. Time is not everything.

How do you know your problem is exclusive to the 2013 model year? You've had multiple people in this thread point out that this is a inherent feature that has been prevalent in focii for the last decade.

Ford isn't going to 'fix' an 'issue' if the 'issue' is in accordance with their design.

As I see it, you have 3 options.

1. Realize this is a design intended to cater to the lowest denominator, regardless of your dismay for it. Then use this as a learning experience to be more careful on your next test drive.

2. Buy an aftermarket tuner and resolve your issue.

3. Sell the car.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
jcw122
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111081
What I Drive: 2014 Race Red SE 201A Hatch - MTX

FF Reputation: 2 jcw122 Good Standing Member
Now that I've really started to get a handle on having a standard transmission, I'm really beginning to notice this "feature/characteristic" more.

I notice it when I am attempting to shift up aggressively through the gears (and accelerating hard), this "hanging" of the throttle makes it a jerky process. By the time I am ready to shift, the RPMs have not dropped low enough and end up jerking the car unless I let out the clutch more slowly. Or I have to wait an extra moment.

I don't really understand why this would be desirable unless it adds to smoothness when initially letting go of the throttle. It's become an annoyance for me, even as a new stick driver. But only really when I am trying to shift up through the gears quickly.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #38
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
I believe it fuel economy/emissions related.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using FF Mobile 4
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #39
GTO_Greg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108028
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 GTO_Greg Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyo View Post
Yup, and also once you clutch in it will hold revs at the perfect rpms for an upshift for at least a few seconds before dropping down to idle!
No, that's not what's happening here. The RPMs need to drop to be the perfect RPMs for an upshift, not rise.

The Dual Mass Flywheel explanation sounds quite a bit more plausible.

I've also noticed that, when driving sedately and shifting into fifth, the RPMs will blip upwards - that, I'm pretty sure, is the emissions-related electronics messing with thing.

Flipping dealer said exactly what I thought they'd say: "They all do that". Same answer they gave about all the water that's trapped in the door sills after a hard rain...
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Jester1911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109586
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 5door

FF Reputation: 1 Jester1911 Good Standing Member
I googled this issue, and not only will my throttle haing, if I'm below 2k RPM's it will climb and hit that target. Then when I get into the next gear, the RPM's have to drop even more to be correct...

Say RPM's are 1750 in 4th gear, and I go to put into 5th, the engine will actually rev to get to 2000 RPM or slightly higher...

It didn't happen when the car was new, and its slightly annoying when I'm not powering through the shifts. I've gotten so I can shift faster than the car can rev to beat this annoying sticking.

Rally Revolution #34

Bookmarks & Social Networks