Difficulty shifting out of 1st gear. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Difficulty shifting out of 1st gear.

Ok, so I just bought this car last friday, it is a 2004 SVTF with 122k on it. I had my personal mechanic (a retired Ford Service Tech) inspect the car before I even made a deposit on it and he told me the areas I need to concern myself with most (not that many but those issues are currently being fixed), otherwise it was a nice, clean car. So on Saturday, I swapped my Steeda Tri-Ax STS over to the new one, from my wrecked '02 SVTF. I installed everything correctly and made sure the shift linkages were connected properly.

So today I was in town, taking my wife to her Dr. appointments and running some errands. I parked my car and turned it off, when I came back I reversed out of my parking space and put the car in 1st to drive off; however when I tired to shift into 2nd it did not want to come out of 1st. I had to get off the clutch, push the clutch back in, and pull hard to get it out of 1st. There was no grinding of synchro's or any abnormal sounds when it popped out if 1st and back into neutral. So I spent the remainder of my day in town starting off from 2nd and having to feather the clutch because I need to replace the IMRC. (I have a replacement unit on hand, just need to do the work). When the car is stopped, engine on, but not moving, I can put it into 1st and take it out of 1st with relative ease; and when the car is off I can put it in first and take it out of 1st with no issue at all. All the other gears operate properly and without any issue.

Any ideas? Even with my 10+ years experience in owning a SVTF I have not yet experience this type of problem. Is it possible that a linkage, while visually appearing to be in place, is actually not properly seated?

Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Bump. 109 views and no possible info or even insight?

I double checked the short shifter and all linkage connections do seem to be installed properly.

EDIT: I went to town again yesterday and sometimes it would shift into 2nd with no issue, but sometimes it would be very problematic to remove the shifter from 1st gear to go anywhere (2nd or neutral). It almost felt like how it feels when you are trying to get into a gear by rev matching (shifting w/o the clutch), and the tension the synchros give just before the revs match up with the transmission; but in reverse (synchro resistance while coming out of gear)

Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated; I am not a fan of posting things on the "other" Focus forum. but if I can't even get one response on this one I may have no other choice.
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!

Last edited by GBPackFan; 06-13-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
daytonmvp23
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111415
What I Drive: 2004,Pitch Black, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 daytonmvp23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you go through all the gears when you adjusted the cable? Sometimes it make a difference. Also check to make sure everything is properly torqued and adjusted on the shifter and linkages.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was at first thinking of your shifter linkage ... because that has happened to me before. And I just reconnect them and wrap them in zipties. Happen twice since I have owned the car from 03.

But hmm ... you said you already checked your linkage.

For giggles, if you were to pump your clutch about 4-5 times then try driving it, does it feel better?

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I've had some of the big wiring harnesses that go over the transmission interfere with the shift linkage and cause hard shifting in certain gears. I ziptied them out of the way and haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
I was at first thinking of your shifter linkage ... because that has happened to me before. And I just reconnect them and wrap them in zipties. Happen twice since I have owned the car from 03.

But hmm ... you said you already checked your linkage.

For giggles, if you were to pump your clutch about 4-5 times then try driving it, does it feel better?

Ray

This, try pumping the clutch up a bit, you may just need to bleed the clutch some or it may be time for a new bearing/slave cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
I've had some of the big wiring harnesses that go over the transmission interfere with the shift linkage and cause hard shifting in certain gears. I ziptied them out of the way and haven't had a problem since.

Check for this as well, I had this happen to me the first time I put the clutch in my SVT, on the second time I made sure to route them properly and out of the way.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Oh and I moved this thread to the Technical Chat area since your not asking about performance parts for the SVT, I think you'll get more ideas as to what could be going on here anyways.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yup - more traffic over here (grin)

I'm agreeing on the clutch for now, 'til we hear back. Sounded like a dragging clutch making it hard to pull out of gear when I read the first post...

Cheers!

S.R. #275
Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

I haven't checked to see if pumping the pedal helps, but if I row through 1st & 2nd just going 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd a few times it seems to help.

I had 3-4 incidences of it today. Since it always happens in first, it is usually happening as I am pulling away from a stop light. People out here are so darn rude and inconsiderate that if you don't go through the light when it turns green they get evil. So most of the time I just yank it out of 1st, but it takes a real hard and swift yank to do it.

If it is the slave cylinder or throw out bearing, do I have to replace the whole clutch to fix this? I don't seem to have any slip on the clutch at all. I can stick it in 6th gear while doing 45 and floor it and it's all there.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Yes you might as well replace the clutch at the same time since you'd have to remove the trans to fix it. If you buy a Luk clutch kit (which is the OEM clutch) it will come with a new bearing/slave in it. Are you holding the clutch in while waiting at a light or are you in neutral and then put it into gear once the light turns green?

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks