Car lock cylinder cleaning - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The part of the ignition that reads the keys (PATS receiver) stays in the column.
The CPU in the car knows the key ID#'s.
The parts you are changing re-use the old keys, and just change the mechanical locking part of the ignition cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107906
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 simonfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thanks for the info. It seems this is a common problem with the older model of Focus up until 2005, how often is it needed to replace the cylinder?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just once, to the not-faulty design like Ford did.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
A replacement key being "stiff' in the lock isn't uncommon.

I'm guessing the replacement is a "cut" key, made by copying the old one. Freshly cut keys don't always match the lock perfectly, especially when made from a worn old key.

Edges of the new key aren't always smoothed down enough to work smoothly as well, burrs & sharp edges can make for stiff insertion & operation. You can smooth it with a wire wheel (as done by a locksmith when making the replacement).

You can also compare the keys, looking for differences - once used a bit, you can actually see the places where the new key is too tight & "rubs" a bit in use. IF you aren't taking it back to get a replacement, you can carefully file a bit off any high spots you find (taller than old key, rub marks). If the key is cut too deep (not as tall as the old one) the only fix is to get another one made, should be warrantied by any reputable locksmith (or even the corner Hdwe. store!)

Luck!

P.S. - hard to describe it all in a short note, learned a lot cutting keys myself & from an old friend who was a locksmith...

S.R. #275

Last edited by sailor; 06-10-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Sailor, the cylinder lock in the past 2-3 weeks had been acting kind of hard to switch the key. Thats why I decided to make a new key to see if it helped. But now I see that there must be some other thing that is causing this behavior.
And yes the locksmith did smoothen the key with wire wheels.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

By the way is there a difference between these lock cylinders used in European vs American versions? Can I purchase one from an american online shop and be sure that it fits my car?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

If the issue is now occurring with both keys, my "New Key" hints don't apply, and the replacement cylinder fix would be a good idea.

Sorry, can't confirm they are the same myself. I know the issue is common to early models here, could only guess that yours are similar.

luck!

S.R. #275
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The biggest issue right now is with the new key! it can enter the cylinder but it can hardly move. On the other hand the older key is working well, except that it is old and worn.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
sailor
"Elder"

"New Key" issues then.

Taking it back & having a new one cut is the easiest answer, over here cut keys are warrantied since they don't always work - or work well.

Holding the two side by side may let you see where the differences are, doesn't take much to cause a problem! And copying a worn key makes this even more likely. Since it isn't shaped like new, and the lock is worn as well, slight differences are even more important.

Cutting a key quickly sometimes results in one that's "higher" than the original, any issue with one or the other not chucked up in the machine perfectly can give odd results. Doing a two sided key like ours gives just that much more room for slight errors - sometimes one of these will work with one side up & not with the other side up. This type lock actually only uses one side to work the lock, that's why it can operate differently depending on orientation.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
simonfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The locksmith told me I should spray some WD40 to lubricate the cylinder, and insert the key in and out and clean the dirt that comes out with it, he meant this should help it to work smoothly after a while. I have now done this several times and every time I notice that some black dirt sits on the key when I pull it out, but I am worried about putting too much of the lubricating spray in the cylinder.
At first the new key entered the cylinder smoothly and could easily start the engine, but now its got more worse, it won't turn properly as it should.
I thought of removing the cylinder and wash the whole cylinder with some chemicals hoping it will remove all the dust and dirt out of it. Do you think this will help, or will cause more trouble than I already have?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->