Plastic Rocker Panel Covers - Cannot find these anywhere!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115493
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 justagrrlinny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Plastic Rocker Panel Covers - Cannot find these anywhere!!!

Hi All, I've read a few different threads on FF regarding plastic rocker panel covers, however, I cannot find ANYWHERE online where I can purchase them and we only have one junk yard in my area and they do not have any. The rust on my rocker panels is a never-ending situation because I live in an area where heavy salt is used in the winter. Can anyone please provide me with a few links to where I can purchase these covers (and end caps) online? New metal rocker panels are much more expensive, and are not really an option for me because I have no way to remove the old ones and weld the new one's on. My vehicle is a 2001 Ford Focus SE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 40437
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
well i don't know how long you plan to own the car but if you let the rust continue to grow you going to have worse problems,you could get the rocker covers but it's like putting a band aid on a wound that needs stitches. is there a vocational technology school near you? you could see if they could do the repair or call around to body shops. the common person doesn't have access to the materials and tools needed to redo rockers
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

I've already patched all the rust holes, primarily and did the bondo and paint work but unfortunately, because I'm not a professional, there seems to always be little pin holes where the rust eats through the paint or bubbles. It's just an immense task having to continually re-sand and re-bondo and re-paint, and I can't afford to have a body shop do it. The panels themselves will probably hold out for at least a few more years as far as stability, but I would just like to have them look a little nicer cosmetically at least for now. As I said, the car is pretty old, an '01, so I don't want to invest major money into body work and the covers would protect the body work I've already done for at least a few years until I can afford to get another car. If anyone knows of where I can find the plastic covers online, I would greatly appreciate it. As I said in my original post, there is only one junk yard in my area and they don't have any.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Have you tried coating them with POR15? I don't actually know what's in the stuff, but we've used it during the restoration of one MGB and a MG Midget, and they look good as new. I'm pretty sure you can paint over it once it dries, but I'm not entirely certain as it's been a good few years since we've done the Midget, and the MGB which we just did, was coated in an area under the body panels that won't see the light of day again.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
They're called side skirts.
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
LOL, I just threw mine away last week.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the correction on the actual name that they're called. I'll try searching under that instead of "rocker panel covers". ;)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

JFrye...JUST my luck haha!! Any chance you get them back from wherever they went? ;)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Miztaken1312 - Any idea where I can find that product and what an estimated cost is? The only thing I could find to use that 'somewhat' worked, was a rust primer...you spray it on and it 'eats' the rust and turns it into a black paintable primer...except the rust still comes through it eventually.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved this to the "MK1 Focus" section.

Bookmarks & Social Networks