I am Imprezed! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am Imprezed!

Well I planned on looking at the 2014 Kia Forte this weekend but didn't even make it to the dealership. After talking with people that have owned or currently own Kias (new and old) I figured it would be a waste of time and a really bad choice to replace the Focus with.

A trip to the local Subaru dealer however was not a waste of time. One test drive in a 2012 Impreza Sport Limited and I was, how would you say..."Imprezed." That's what I told the salesman when he asked what I thought of the car and now they've adopted that as their new slogan LOL!

The CVT Impreza is a significantly better driver than the DCT Focus Ti I traded in. It launches consistently every single time and there's no power loss going around corners. The CVT shifts smooth as butter, in fact, you cannot feel it shift at all unless your in manual mode playing Mario Andretti with the awesome shift paddles mounted on the steering column. Also, I can't wait to take this bad boy out in the snow come Winter time and really put the AWD to work.

Steering is slightly less responsive than the Focus but I like it better because it's less touchy on the freeway. This should be adjustable on all cars with electric power steering (like Kia) IMO. Still, the handling on the Subie is excellent and braking is just as good as the Focus.

The leather seats in the Subie aren't quite as nice as the leather seats in the Focus but they are comfortable and seem a little more durable. Oh yeah, there's a lot more legroom in the front and rear seats, and the center console is so much more useful than that of the Focus.

Front and side visibility is panoramic compared to the Focus thanks to smaller A-pillars and wing windows. There were a couple of times I almost nailed a pedestrian due to the thick pillars on the Focus.

I'll miss MFT believe it or not, at least for the short-term. While the Subie has BT/MP3/FM/Hands free it is quite inferior and doesn't sound as good as the Sony 10 speaker premium sound system. It supports voice commands, but they only seem to work with hands free calls. You can't tap the voice button and request a song, album, or artists by name and I am going to miss that. This is temporary though, anyone that has followed my posts knows that I am developing an In-Vehicle Infotainment system and it's coming along nicely. I am currently tweaking voice recognition and coding the indexing routines but already I can play MP3's by name, artist, or album using voice commands. I can also control any electronic component in a vehicle and change radio stations using voice commands. The possibilities of this system are endless and I have a lot of ideas that I just can't reveal yet. It should be operational enough for everyday use within the next few months and then I'll be able to demonstrate the project to others. This is on an Intel Atom btw, the Raspberry Pi project (see pics in previous posts) is simply a BT audio sink and Android mirror and that's about it it can handle.

I don't regret my decision to get rid of the Focus, but I will miss some of the unique features and still think it's a terrific looking car. What I won't miss is that damn DCT and the constant worrying that it might stumble while pulling out into traffic, break down completely, or develop problems that Ford will not fix. I would have kept it if FoMoCo was correcting problems that clearly are not normal instead of telling customers that they are normal. Btw, my dealer has done a great job maintaining the car and I do not fault them for anything, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat if anybody were to ask.

Good luck to everyone here with their cars, I am curious to see how long the DCT's hold up over time and will check in every once in awhile.

Last edited by oritpro; 06-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
Nice ride. I have a buddy at work that is trying to get me to switch to Subaru. (He currently owns an 07 sti, 11 Impreza sport and 11 outback rally car. You didn't even mention the awd and the boxer engine. I am really leaning towards trading in my 09 sedan for one of these. Shoot me PM or make another post in a week or a month and let us know how you like the car then.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
How do you like the power in it? The one thing I didn't like for the current gen Impreza was that Subaru took some power away for fuel economy.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Is shopping around for cars for my wife we had it down to the Focus and Impreza. She picked the Impreza. We got the 2.0i Premium.

The CVT is interesting. We can definately feel ours "shift". The paddle shifter are cool but I am the only one that uses them. The power application is pretty good, its odd to accelerate with the engine at 2k rpm, or having it sit at 5k rpm while accelerating. The power is decent, it will move when one needs it to.

I did enjoy driving it to work in the snow over this last winter. i would never have done that but the stock Continential on the Focus with 15k sucked in the snow. I found the car very capable in the bad weather.

Now I also found the handling very neutral. I am assuming this is because of the AWD. To me it doesn't have any character. However for the wife that isn't a bad thing.

The new Impreza isn't without its own issues. There are many complaints about the fuel milage. The CVT is suppose to get 36 mpg highway, it doesn't even come close. In fact the dash read out is consistantly about 3 mpg high. The 5-spd cars are getting better than the listed mpg rating. However, the CVT is consistant at the rated average mpg. Many have complained about oil usage and noises and rattles, etc.

I also have to agree that the technology in the Impreza is very lacking when compareed to the Focus. The bluetooth has the same tech as my Razor cell phone I had back in 2004. No automatic door locks, not automatic headlights (except on higher models I believe), etc. But that is all made up with for the AWD system.

I also miss having the blink spot mirros on every other car I drive now. I don't think the visability is to much different between either car. At least not enough that I notice it.

I'll also be interested in how the CVT hold up over time. I know this isn't the first Subaru to get a CVT, but the 2012 got the new engine and transmission ...
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Nice ride. I have a buddy at work that is trying to get me to switch to Subaru.
My neighborhood should be called Subaru central, it's full of them. There's a guy a couple of houses down that races them at Portland International Raceway. One of my kids drives a 93' Legacy SS that he rebuilt from the ground up with help from his brother who also built out his own 96 Legacy. Every single one of their friends drive them. My father-in-law has been driving them for years, the list goes on.

Now my wife like the Impreza so much she wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
How do you like the power in it? The one thing I didn't like for the current gen Impreza was that Subaru took some power away for fuel economy.
The power is great. While the Focus is rated at 160/148 versus 148/145 in the Subaru the latter is applied better and it's more consistent, and it's quite spirited for a 2.0L engine. There's a steep 2-mile hill on my commute to work that the Focus struggled with and I'd have to downshift to keep up with the traffic, the Subie had no issue this morning

Fuel economy was a major check box for me so without that I wouldn't have bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
The CVT is interesting. We can definately feel ours "shift". The paddle shifter are cool but I am the only one that uses them. The power application is pretty good, its odd to accelerate with the engine at 2k rpm, or having it sit at 5k rpm while accelerating. The power is decent, it will move when one needs it to.
I cannot feel mine shift at all. As for the MPG's, it will take a couple fill ups before I can comment on that. I do know that Subaru's get lousy gas mileage during the break-in period. The steering isn't as quick as the Focus but I find it quite fun to drive. Also, the cabin isn't as quiet as the Focus either and that does bother me a little.

Btw, you can get blind spot mirrors on Amazon for about $12. I plan on picking up a set soon.

Last edited by oritpro; 06-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Very nice! Congrats on the purchase, I've always been a fan of the subies great platforms IMO.... Got any pics?

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
The new gen. Impreza is a nice car. I don't have DCT or MFD issues like many here but the only thing I really don't like about my Fofo is the skimpy rear seat room. Subarus in general have good back seat leg room. The new Impreza also has a 4WD drive system that is changed (don't remember exactly how) to improve the previously crummy fuel economy. Other changes to all kinds of other things have improved the MPGs to quite competitive levels while maintaining the four wheel drive system.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
The new 2.0 has the same power almost as my 07 with a 2.5. I wouldn't complain about the 0.5l difference at all.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

I am at the Subaru dealer now getting an extra key FOB programmed. Guess who's Focus is on the lot for sale?

http://iphone.carrsubaru.com/index.h...b23b25_p_2Ehtm
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Dung1sm
Atx PZEV FTW!

Fan#: 52323
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 Dung1sm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
congrats
So Cal Crew#43
Sedan Revolution #130

Moderator for: