Water staying in Door Sill - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Water staying in Door Sill

Hey Everyone,
Last night we had a crazy rain storm here in MA and today I went out to my car and just happened to open a rear door. (I usually drive by myself so I only open the drivers door and trunk). When I opened the first rear door a bunch of water came gushing out (it wasn't in the cabin though), other rear door same story, I bet it would have been the case for the front doors as well but I didn't notice it because I was driving it last night and had a passenger in the front seat so we had opened/closed our doors multiple times during the storm.

Has anyone else noticed this on their MK3 Focus? It wouldn't be a real issue but I worry about rust with standing water stuck in the door sills like this... I should also note I did drive the car after the rain and before I opened the rear doors so it wasn't just sitting there.

Anybody had this issue/have a solution? I mean we did have epic amounts of rain during the storm but it didn't seem like the water was gonna come out had I not opened the doors. I also make really careful to avoid large puddles since I don't want to get water into the intake (super cautious I know).

Thanks!
-Vanq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There's been discussion about this issue in the past. I don't have the issue, but I believe that some folks found that water was leaking in somewhere at the seal at the top of the rear door frame. Since the doors have multiple seals (on each side of the sill), the water gets between them and doesn't have anywhere to go once it gets in there.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
There's been discussion about this issue in the past. I don't have the issue, but I believe that some folks found that water was leaking in somewhere at the seal at the top of the rear door frame. Since the doors have multiple seals (on each side of the sill), the water gets between them and doesn't have anywhere to go once it gets in there.
Did ford come up with a fix? It seems like they really wanted to keep the water out with the outer seal but it's having a negative effect in this case...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Same issue here especially after the drenching rain we had last night. I have always had this problem but it was usually a pretty insignificant amount of water from the rear doors, maybe a spoonful or 2. After the rain yesterday though an absolute flood of water poured out, but it was contained to the door sill.

Very annoying.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Did ford come up with a fix? It seems like they really wanted to keep the water out with the outer seal but it's having a negative effect in this case...
Not as far as I know. I don't believe it affects all cars--my car has been in some deluges and it's never happened to me. I wouldn't look at it as a problem of sealing the water in though, rather, keeping it out. IMO, water shouldn't be getting in there in the first place.

Multiple seals like most (all?) cars have today are not just to reduce water intrusion, but also to reduce noise entering the cabin.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Not as far as I know. I don't believe it affects all cars--my car has been in some deluges and it's never happened to me. I wouldn't look at it as a problem of sealing the water in though, rather, keeping it out. IMO, water shouldn't be getting in there in the first place.

Multiple seals like most (all?) cars have today are not just to reduce water intrusion, but also to reduce noise entering the cabin.
Yea I'm sure I should. I looked at the seals around the door and I wasn't able to find any breaks. Not wanting to tug too hard on the seal I did gently pull on it in most places to see if it was secured to the car properly, as far as I could tell it is...

I'm sure most cars do have double seals now, Maybe even my montero did but if so it was located closer on the door to the other seal because I always had water in the door sills after washing the car (but it would dry out on its own).
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
I have the same problem on the drivers side rear door. Doesn't go into the cabin. I just make sure to open the rear door after each rain event.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
knapkin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107064
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 knapkin Good Standing Member
Same issue on both drivers and passenger rear doors. Is this something I should be going to the dealership for?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
I have it most on the front passenger door.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
bassmobile
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95742
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 2 bassmobile Good Standing Member
I've had that issue since day one on the rear doors. But nothing is getting into the cabin, and we get some mega rain here in Florida!

Bookmarks & Social Networks