Do you rent your tires? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #31
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
holy crap... and my tires are over 1200 for four... think I'd rather save up than be butt raped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I live in the ghetto. There are a lot of cell phone stores, check cashing, pawn, and yes, a Rent-A-Wheel store.

I went to the rent-a-wheel store to see if they would dismount a set of tires, not a wheel in the store was under 22". It confused them, a customer with a set of factory 16's that he wanted to keep, and just pay cash for labor.

They didn't want to make a quick $20 cash, so I went down the street to the Mexican used tire store and got them done for $16.
Hahaha, this sounds an awful lot like where I live. I was thinking the same thing, I bet a lot of the tires being rented are HUGE tires that would cost a fair bit of money up front if purchased rather than rented (never mind the fact that the total rented cost is WAY higher). Of course, those people who can't afford to buy huge tires for their dubs probably should have thought about that kind of thing in the first place.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #33
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Wow ... not suure what to say about that.

I have a new set of wheels ready to go on my Focus. I have been saving money for stuff I do with my cars. So getting a set of tires comes out of that. And yes they have been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks already as i decide what tire I want and finish saving. At this point I might wait to next spring to get the new wheels on the car. This way I can have money for snow tires, which I wouldn't be able to save enough for until sometime into December.

I understand that people can get into tight spots, but a little planning does go a long way.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
These people are just retarded!!!
I grew up in a poor household, so maybe I have a lot more empathy for low income families. We robbed peter to pay paul every month. We went days without water because the paycheck did not come until Friday, but the final deadline to pay was tuesday... I am sure if something like this had been around then, we probably would have used it, and gotten ripped off.

Often it is not about how smart or retarded the individual is, sometimes it is simple desperation, and many people do not understand that because they have never experienced it. If you have to make the decision between feeding your children, or buying new tires, often necessities like tires seem a lot less necessary. And then you get to the point where if you don't have new tires, you don't get to work, and you can't feed your kids, so you do what you have to do to survive, even if you know you are getting ripped off.

Like many here, I have zero sympathy for the people who are broke because they don't have their priorities straight, the ones who live off welfare and drive caddy's with chrome rims . But we cannot assume every poor person is a moron. Many are just desperate. And desperation makes us do some stupid things.

What pisses me off (like many on here) are the ones who take advantage of the desperate. Pay day loans, pawn shops, and rental centers pray on the desperation of the poor, and I hate it.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #35
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickboy View Post
zero sympathy for people who dont read fine print and make terrible decisions.

Why zero sympathy? You like to see uneducated people get screwed?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
Yep, I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind people at Walmart waiting for their food stamp debit card thing, or some of them have what looks like a check, to go through. Only to see them outside loading that food into a new Escalade or Chrystler 300 on bling blong wheels. At least with WIC there are only specific items you can get.

There have also been stands popping up for people that get food stamps to get a cell phone.

You shop at Walmart? Seriously?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114934
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Nickel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
Yep, I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind people at Walmart waiting for their food stamp debit card thing, or some of them have what looks like a check, to go through. Only to see them outside loading that food into a new Escalade or Chrystler 300 on bling blong wheels. At least with WIC there are only specific items you can get.

There have also been stands popping up for people that get food stamps to get a cell phone.
You never know what their life circumstances are, perhaps that isn't even their car, but a family members or a friends. Perhaps they saved up over a long time, while working a decent paying job, paid cash and a few months later their job was cut due to the economy, they are out every day looking for a new job, or took the only job they could get, making min wage and not hitting 40 hours, their savings are almost tapped, and they need food to get buy for their kids, selling their car is not an option as they need it to get to work and look or look for work... the snap benefit is barely helping them make ends meet. Remember the average person receiving SNAP is on it for just a few months, the average monthly benefit runs out after three weeks...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
You shop at Walmart? Seriously?
I get off work late at night, it's the only "grocery store" that's open. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna get up early to grocery shop lol.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I live in the ghetto. There are a lot of cell phone stores, check cashing, pawn, and yes, a Rent-A-Wheel store.

I went to the rent-a-wheel store to see if they would dismount a set of tires, not a wheel in the store was under 22". It confused them, a customer with a set of factory 16's that he wanted to keep, and just pay cash for labor.
I'm confused.

Why would anyone want wheels that aren't chrome (with gold trim) and are less than 22"?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Because that's a waste of perfectly good chrome, I need that chrome for my door handles and teeth. Just give me gold and I'll be on my way ;)
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks