Several Spontaneous Electrical Issues - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
MikeD666
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115572
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, SES

FF Reputation: 1 MikeD666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'll start by testing the grounds I've found later today. I might need to get a nicer ohms meter.

As far as the hatch wiring is concerned, I had no problems previous to my work - and did no work to this area. I'll avoid focus-ing on that for now.

I've also read about funky issues with the blinker handle, instrument cluster, and several ground issues in addition to the hatch wiring.

I'm kinda hoping it is a ground at this point. I feel like most the other stuff is ruled out. I should have access to that second rear hatch switch today as well.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 136,016, Level 100
Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100 Points: 136,016, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
It's not about doing work there, it's about them wearing from opening and closing the hatch plus it's easy to check. Like I've said it's caused some weird weird problems on some people's cars and is worth checking out IMO.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
MikeD666
Focus Rookie

I'll pull the harness out there and take a look then. It really isn't much more time compared to what I've invested. Would be odd for that to go wrong while I was working with the wires under the dash. At this point though, I'll follow any lead.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
MikeD666
Focus Rookie

Ugh. I'm testing every ground I can find. There are 3 just to the right of my battery when looking into the hood of my car. The middle guy was not getting a good reading so I thought I'd clean it. I fought to unscrew the bolt and snapped it. Cleaned the oxidation off the ground that came off. Tested it with cheapo multimeter. I'm receiving 0 resistance when it is not connected to anything....seems wrong. I cleaned chassis where ground was connected - receive a 1 on my ohms reading. I thought I understood how to test for ground, but this is leaving me confused. The ground on the same chasis next to it is testing as zero when checking at wire. Can anybody clear this up?

I've found a handful of grounds, they all tested with 0 resistance so far, and the one checked with 0 resistance when not connected.

I am having trouble drilling out the snapped bolt - gonna work at that for a bit.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
MikeD666
Focus Rookie

Scratch that grounding issue. Wire tested with resistance when car in run. Cleaned off chassis better and tested with no resistance. Sounds like that would be normal.

Also wanted to add that hatch wires looked too good of shape for me to tear apart any further.

I'm going to try and stick with the rear defogger circuit still. Awaiting my part to swap to test switch. The harness actually unclips, and I can test at least the first row of exposed wires with ease. I will see if I can stick a staple in and test the second row - but it might prove difficulty to identify what color wire I'm hitting.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,886, Level 71
Points: 11,886, Level: 71 Points: 11,886, Level: 71 Points: 11,886, Level: 71
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Those small ones by the battery are good to get fixed, they are famous for causing multiple issues and often look just fine B4 disassembly.

Testing for good grounds is usually by doing a continuity check with one probe on a wire or connector & the other on a known good ground or battery negative. I often use a long test lead hooked to the battery negative so I can wander around touching various grounds to see how good they are. Seldom "0", just very close - there's always SOME resistance in every circuit.

Keep plugin' away there, electrical can be a long process to find what's "obvious" in the end.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
MikeD666
Focus Rookie

Ready for the un-exciting conclusion?

I swapped parts one at a time from friends focus. Put my heater switch on donor, and it worked fine. Tested wires on harness and they matched mine. Put my GEM on donor and worked fine. Put donor GEM on mine, same issues. Used my instrument cluster on donor and worked fine. Used my blinker on donor and worked fine. I put back in my original GEM since I proved it was not at fault.

I hooked my car back up, the instrument cluster cable seemed more difficult to push in for some reason. It is really either in or out, since it has that 90 degree latch. I tried to push any pins towards the harness as i reconnected anything just because. What do you know? It worked.

Separate story:

Continued to replace the bulbs with LEDs that were way cheaper than I could find for the real replacements (this was more problematic than should had been). I had no idea LEDs had a positive and negative side....about half didn't work at first. I tested them with a 12 volt battery I had lying around. Some worked and some didn't. Tested again later and some that didn't work did, and others that did didn't. Eventually got it right.

Thanks for all the help! I'm pretty good with the wiring schematics now....doesn't mean I want to do it again.

BTW - I used a dremmel to clean up the body near the old ground and drilled in a new one - that is good too.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,886, Level 71
Points: 11,886, Level: 71 Points: 11,886, Level: 71 Points: 11,886, Level: 71
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Fixed is wonderful!

Just which connections were the issue hardly matters, they all got cleaned up during the long process and should be OK for a long time now!

Happy to hear your long project is over....

Cheers!

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.