Clutch/Transmission Issue? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
bbrodriguez
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 156442
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 bbrodriguez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch/Transmission Issue?

New to the forum - been driving the ST for approximately 18k miles, less than a year old. Been a blast until now...

Now onto the problem - I recently noticed some shaking in first gear and the car was unable to resume cruise control after braking (the RPMs shoot up when I resume, then drop down, which is when the cruise control disengages; also, at highway speeds, i see the RPMs fluctuate between 2500 and 3000 RPMs when I'm generally in that range and am not depressing or releasing the accelerator). As to my driving habits - I've been babying this car from the beginning, trying to maximize mileage and I never downshift.

I took it into a Ford dealership and was finally told they think my clutch is worn down, but they won't know until they take the transmission apart. Imagine my surprise - even if I drove the car hard, I would think the clutch should be good for a lot longer, though I'm no mechanic... I also own a 2003 z06 which I've been driving for the past 10 years and have NEVER had a clutch issue.

On top of all that, I was told that if it's a worn clutch (and possibly flywheel), my warranty wouldn't cover any of the work. The cost to fix will be around 1200-1500 total depending on whether the flywheel needs to be replaced.

SO, what do you guys think? I was thinking about dropping the car off at the dealership tonight, so I need this to be fixed. I'm just baffled.

As a side note, I also took the car to a third party mechanic and he drove it around - because the shifting was still smooth and given the car is new and doesn't have much mileage on it, he doesn't think it can be the clutch.

Thanks

edit: i heard it could also be related to TSB 140007, though I can't pull up any details on that, so i'm not sure. ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrodriguez View Post
New to the forum - been driving the ST for approximately 18k miles, less than a year old. Been a blast until now...

Now onto the problem - I recently noticed some shaking in first gear and the car was unable to resume cruise control after braking (the RPMs shoot up when I resume, then drop down, which is when the cruise control disengages; also, at highway speeds, i see the RPMs fluctuate between 2500 and 3000 RPMs when I'm generally in that range and am not depressing or releasing the accelerator). As to my driving habits - I've been babying this car from the beginning, trying to maximize mileage and I never downshift.

I took it into a Ford dealership and was finally told they think my clutch is worn down, but they won't know until they take the transmission apart. Imagine my surprise - even if I drove the car hard, I would think the clutch should be good for a lot longer, though I'm no mechanic... I also own a 2003 z06 which I've been driving for the past 10 years and have NEVER had a clutch issue.

On top of all that, I was told that if it's a worn clutch (and possibly flywheel), my warranty wouldn't cover any of the work. The cost to fix will be around 1200-1500 total depending on whether the flywheel needs to be replaced.

SO, what do you guys think? I was thinking about dropping the car off at the dealership tonight, so I need this to be fixed. I'm just baffled.

As a side note, I also took the car to a third party mechanic and he drove it around - because the shifting was still smooth and given the car is new and doesn't have much mileage on it, he doesn't think it can be the clutch.

Thanks

edit: i heard it could also be related to TSB 140007, though I can't pull up any details on that, so i'm not sure. ideas?
First of all, the car has a 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty. If the dealership you are currently dealing with says that the work may not be covered by the warranty GO FIND A NEW DEALER. It is absolutely untrue that any potential clutch problem would not be covered under warranty considering the fact that you have so few miles on your car.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
bbrodriguez
Focus Rookie

thanks, valmundo - they're saying if it's a worn clutch issue, it won't be covered by the warranty. if it's some sort of defect, then it would be.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Take the car somewhere else for a second opinion. The fact that there may be clutch issues this early indicates to me that its a defect / quality control issue that should be covered under warranty.

Don't accept that bogus response.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
W13FOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147546
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE

FF Reputation: 1 W13FOCUS Good Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks

not covered... utter BS... as mentioned the car has a 3yr/30k warranty. the drive train has 5yr/60k miles... should be covered 100%... my dealer gave me a "loaner" while they worked on mine... speak with the service manager... also Todd (forum Ford Rep) may be able to help... he helped me out amazingly with my ford dealer...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
bbrodriguez
Focus Rookie

thanks for the replies so far.

the original dealer was helfman ford in sugar land. im going to have another ford dealership look at the car this friday and see what they say too.

no luck on the loaner car though at either dealership - i'll reach out to Todd to see if he can help out with anything. thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
you might want to take a look at TSB 13-9-7

http://http://www.focusst.org/forum/...3-present.htmlhttp://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...3-present.html
Old 04-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by W13FOCUS View Post
not covered... utter BS... as mentioned the car has a 3yr/30k warranty. the drive train has 5yr/60k miles... should be covered 100%...

Clutch discs (like brake pads) are wear and tear items.
It may be replaced under warranty because of a defect.
It would likely not be covered under warranty in the case of abuse and/or excessive wear.

Last edited by Kabigon; 04-20-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:

Thanks

Google "focus st clutch issues".
You will find that you are certainly not alone.
It seems that the clutch replacement may not be covered under warranty.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Google "focus st clutch issues".
You will find that you are certainly not alone.
It seems that the clutch replacement may not be covered under warranty.
we need someone who jumps up and defends the ST clutch everytime you say this just like you relentlessly defend the DCT .

Bookmarks & Social Networks