Spark plugs for Ti-VCT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
hemetaj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110422
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 hemetaj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Spark plugs for Ti-VCT

Does anyone know if there is aftermarket plugs yet for the Ti-VCT engine? I would like to upgrade mine and can't seem to find any listed online other than the Ford plugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Only iridium plugs right now. No coppers yet
Hatch Nation #29
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
hemetaj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110422
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 hemetaj Good Standing Member
Any word on Pulstars?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Tjrommel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114674
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white Sedan 5M

FF Reputation: 1 Tjrommel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Only iridium plugs right now. No coppers yet
Why would you want copper, faster wear, weaker-less accurate spark, and picks up the carbon faster. From what I've heard, the iridium plugs paired with the stock coil packs actually has a noticible gain in mpg and slight increase in power on a DYNO (1-2hp).
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetaj View Post
Any word on Pulstars?
why would you want to put that crap into your car? Spark plugs are not a modification .... imho.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
Been there done that. The stock ones are fantastic iridium fine tip and will have the best performance and wear. I've spent hours trying to find anything better and...nope. We actually have great plugs! Change out the aluminum wire inside the coil boot to a full copper strand (8ga I believe) and do better that way. Play with the stock gap and higher gaps if you want to play around with things (use a proper gapping tool, not a ring gapper that only opens them up).
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
ryan_onizuka
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107709
What I Drive: Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 ryan_onizuka Good Standing Member
I using BRISK ER14YS SILVER.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjrommel View Post
Why would you want copper, faster wear, weaker-less accurate spark, and picks up the carbon faster. From what I've heard, the iridium plugs paired with the stock coil packs actually has a noticible gain in mpg and slight increase in power on a DYNO (1-2hp).
In the zetecs, svts and duratecs (03-11), everyone had the best luck with properly gapped coppers. Not just stock, but pretty extensive builds.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_onizuka View Post
I using BRISK ER14YS SILVER.
I wonder how there LGS plug would work
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
In the zetecs, svts and duratecs (03-11), everyone had the best luck with properly gapped coppers. Not just stock, but pretty extensive builds.
True.

The platinums provide a weaker spark than the coppers do. Also gapping them out a little further than spec (55 instead of 50) provides a larger spark. And really, so what if you have to replace plugs once a year? It takes a whole, what, 20 minutes?

Quote:
Copper Spark Plugs

Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.

Platinum and Iridium Plugs

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity. Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a performance that is decent, which is why iridium plugs tend to be more expensive than any other type. Still, the difference between these plugs in terms of overall quality is minimal, as there is a trade off for each.

Here are some of the thermal conductivity ratings of some commonly used metals (Watts / centimeter*Kelvin). As you can see, copper is untouchable. Iridium gives you the best trade-off between performance and lifespan.

Zinc = 1.16
Aluminum = 2.37
Copper = 4.01
Steel = 0.70 - 0.82
Platinum = 0.716
Iridium = 1.47
However, different engines and systems will work better/worse on different types of plugs. Some older Dodge Neons REQUIRED Coppers (they had a TSB concerning the use of Champion Copper's ONLY because other types caused rough/poor idle conditions)

Another issue with the Duratecs is that the copper plugs seem to smooth out the idle and reduce engine vibration. The HP gains? I'm not willing to say if that's true or not, but a good set of plugs can definitely smooth out idle issues and increase fuel mileage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks