2014 Corolla Debuts to the public - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #61
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
i'm sure they have more get up n go than most of the stock foci around here. they aren't a performance car, they aren't supposed to go fast. the corner of the market they are aimed at is gas mileage savy, grocery getting, child taxi, soccer mom (dad), folks who want a decent looking car. not a guy who wants something fast and couldn't care less about kids or other family things. that's what needs to be understood here
Are you just pulling that out of thin air? A base Focus has nearly a 30 hp over a base Corolla. And Edmund's review of the 2013 Corolla tested it at 10.1 seconds for 0-60. They tested a 2012 Focus at 8.7 seconds, so you are totally wrong on the speed account. But for the other stuff you are right as people buy a Corolla as a reliable appliance, not for the excitement.

Personally, the 2014 is a big step up, design-wise over the current gen. Corollas still sell in the boatloads, and this should only improve it. However, I can't believe that they are still going to sell the 4-speed tranny with it and their 132 hp engine. That has to be lowest power in class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #62
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
Are you just pulling that out of thin air? A base Focus has nearly a 30 hp over a base Corolla. And Edmund's review of the 2013 Corolla tested it at 10.1 seconds for 0-60. They tested a 2012 Focus at 8.7 seconds, so you are totally wrong on the speed account. But for the other stuff you are right as people buy a Corolla as a reliable appliance, not for the excitement.

Personally, the 2014 is a big step up, design-wise over the current gen. Corollas still sell in the boatloads, and this should only improve it. However, I can't believe that they are still going to sell the 4-speed tranny with it and their 132 hp engine. That has to be lowest power in class.
And out of left field...

We were talking about the Corolla S. And you may not have noticed, but the majority of the cars on FF are Mk1s...which, with a five speed, take about seven and a half seconds to get to sixty. Sucks to see the new ones are slower, but that's weight for you...

When it comes down to it, "lowest power in class" is just marketing BS. Ooh, most power in class!...yeah, the class maxes out at what, 160HP? Whoop de goddamn de do. Everything in the class is slow. As long as the lower curve works well, does 10HP matter at this level?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #63
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
And you may not have noticed, but the majority of the cars on FF are Mk1s...which, with a five speed, take about seven and a half seconds to get to sixty. Sucks to see the new ones are slower, but that's weight for you...
MK1s 7 and a half seconds to 60mph? Where? Car and Driver pegged the car at 8.7 to 60mph and the 1/4 mile clocked at 16.8@81mph. Even my Geo Storm GSi clocked a 16.2 in the 1/4 and that was in '93.

The 5 speed MK3 does it in 7.6 and high 15s in the 1/4.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #64
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
MK1s 7 and a half seconds to 60mph? Where? Car and Driver pegged the car at 8.7 to 60mph and the 1/4 mile clocked at 16.8@81mph. Even my Geo Storm GSi clocked a 16.2 in the 1/4 and that was in '93.

The 5 speed MK3 does it in 7.6 and high 15s in the 1/4.
For the Mk3, I'm just going by the 8.7 the other guy posted. I assumed it was with the five speed, but I guess the 8.7 is with the DCT.

Car and Driver is slow on the Mk1. By no means is the Mk1 fast, but it's not a 17 second quarter mile car, at least not as a manual. I'd believe 16.1. The car only weighs 2700 pounds.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #65
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I've checked a few sources and the best I've seen on paper was a 16.68 which isn't bad but I don't think the tranny was geared for 0-60 romps. M '93 Storm GSi had 140hp and weighed in at about 2470lbs and ran a 16.1 (Motor Trend) and had 140hp peaking at 6400rpm while the Focus is 130hp@5300rpm so a mid 16 seems correct. Still a world of difference with a new Focus and yes,I've driven a few MK1s and my wife's previous car was an MK2 which was a step down from a 1st gen.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #66
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
And out of left field...

We were talking about the Corolla S. And you may not have noticed, but the majority of the cars on FF are Mk1s...which, with a five speed, take about seven and a half seconds to get to sixty. Sucks to see the new ones are slower, but that's weight for you...

When it comes down to it, "lowest power in class" is just marketing BS. Ooh, most power in class!...yeah, the class maxes out at what, 160HP? Whoop de goddamn de do. Everything in the class is slow. As long as the lower curve works well, does 10HP matter at this level?
I don't see how the "S" trim level makes a significance difference considering it's the same engine. And you don't consider a 28 hp (23%) increase a big difference?

No one is going to be a speedracer in a standard compact car, but going as fast a Prius is a bit slower than what a Focus can do, whether MK1 or MK3.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #67
Okidoki78
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90522
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Metallic HB

FF Reputation: 1 Okidoki78 Good Standing Member
While there are some Toyotas I do like, the Corolla is not one. It is so boring, slow, and did I say boring. But its Toyota and it will sell millions over its life. I think the Focus and Civic are better choices, but its tough to beat the Toyota mystique. People just want a car that gets them around and this will certainly do that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->