New to FF - Need help with broken antenna issue. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115493
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 justagrrlinny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New to FF - Need help with broken antenna issue.

Hi all, I'm probably posting in the wrong place so I apologise in advance. I need help with an antenna issue. I have a 2001 Ford Focus SE. I bought it last year and it was in pretty rough shape but I'm trying to fix little bits of it at a time because it's all I could afford. The antenna had been snapped off the base, so I took it to a stereo guy and he hollowed out the broken male threaded end of the base with a drill and attached a new male end antenna via some sort of adapter. It lasted for about two months and then the adapter snapped in half (inside the base) and the antenna was so loose that I had to take it out for safety reasons.

I found a thread on how to replace the base, which is just under $10 at my local dealership. That's the easy...and cheap part. But here's where it gets complicated. I really don't want to have to go out and spend another $30 on an antenna when I already have a perfectly good one from the rigged fix by the stereo guy. The problem, is that it also has a male threaded end.

So, quick question. Can the male threaded end of the antenna base be removed (unscrewed) so that my male threaded end antenna can be used? (I've attached a photo of the part I'm talking about). I cannot seem to find ANYWHERE an adapter that allows two male ends to fit together. Any help, thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
The male end can't be removed from the base. You can go on ebay and find lots of antennas for less than $10 shipped.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Before having to purchase another antenna, I'd like to see if there is an adapter that would fit the male end antenna I already have to the male end antenna base. Does such a thing exist, and if so where can I find one? I've called every stereo place in the phone book and they don't have anything.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,453, Level 73
Points: 12,453, Level: 73 Points: 12,453, Level: 73 Points: 12,453, Level: 73
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "MK1 Focus".
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
justagrrlinny
Focus Rookie

Okay, so no luck in finding an adapter (coupling) because the base screw and antenna screw were two different sizes, so I took a run to Advance Auto and found a female antenna that fit perfectly. Thanks so much old1030 for your help and your reply. My best to you. xxx
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
OrangePeel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109758
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 OrangePeel Good Standing Member
I would first try searching through a junk yard for a stock antenna.

$1-2 entrance fee and $5 for the part usually.

As far as an adapter, what you need is exactly what jesta was mentioning in finding a coupling that will use the same threading.

Essentially what you could do is find a copper coupling that can be threaded on both ends for your needs and then cover it up with a large grommet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks