Challenge: Can you beat the Diagnostic? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Focused_On_Graton
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51996
What I Drive: Looking to buy 2004

FF Reputation: 1 Focused_On_Graton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks everyone!

Idle is perfectly fine... except when the problem occurs of course. Then it's sputtering and choking. - - - I've had the car from 40k on to 106k... yes fuel filter has been replaced.

Interesting: seems to happen most often when A/C is engaged. Also, I've noticed a correlation when I move from high speeds to low speeds.

READY FOR THIS? 2-3 years ago, my son kicked the "emergency shutoff" switch (lower passenger floorboard) This created similar circumstances. Finally found it, plugged it back in, and all was well. THEN the passenger door seal developed a bad lead during rains (because of Thule rack) - - - and tons of water end up on my passenger floorboard after a storm. The lead moves water right on top of that "emergency shutoff" switch. AAARGH! how can this still play a role? it's summer and no rain for quite a while... so damn weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
Constant water on a switch would cause corrosion. The switch controls the fuel pump.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Focused_On_Graton
Focus Rookie

Right. But, wouldn't corrosion create some kind of consistent issue?
How can I check for that? THANKS.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If there is corrosion on the switch, then any slight movement or bump can move the wires causing it to get a bad connection. Once the wire moves again, it could be getting a better connection, causing your issues to temporarily go away. Pull the panels off, and look at the switch connections to see how they look.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
It's allowed to be intermittent until it fails completely. Pull the connector from the switch. Connector should have two connections. Make a safe jumper wire to go from one connection to the other (replacing the switch with the jumper). If the problem goes away then you have a bad switch. Either way you only by-pass the switch for diagnostic purposes. The fuel cutoff switch is a safety device to prevent you from dying by fire during an accident!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
"Most often when A/C is engaged, or moving from high to low speeds" makes me wonder if a sticky IAC (Idle Air Control) valve could be involved.

This controls idle speed, adjusts for the load of the A/C, resets idle speed after decel. SO, if it isn't always responding right idle could be too low & quite rough.

Another possibility for you.

Luck!

P.S. - they can be removed/checked/cleaned to see if things improve. Don't have to try a new one just to check it out.

S.R. #275

Last edited by sailor; 06-07-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Focused_On_Graton
Focus Rookie

Thank you to everyone.
I will try the suggestions:
1) pull and check for corrosion
2) REmove , clean, the Idle Air Control
Will probably take me weeks to get these things done... will report back when complete.
Thanks again! - David
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Focused_On_Graton
Focus Rookie

Good People and Fine Exerts! I threw in the towel. Car is now at the Ford dealer in Santa Rosa, CA. Claim they have a certified Ford Master mechanic here. The guy behind the counter (basically) scoffed when I attempted to show him all of your good suggestions... ego is a funny thing. In this case, an annoying thing. I'll report their findings and solution, before I toss a few eggs at the dealership window... jk :-)
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
Focused_On_Graton
Focus Rookie

Hello. I told y'all I would report on this insane issue: After 3 trips to the local Ford dealer (with reportedly "master mechanics" on board) they found NOTHING. Another shop did a different diagnostic, and fuel pump and fuel pump controller were indicated. I was begrudgingly willing to shell out the $1,400 to have them replaced. Then the dealership Shop Foreman called and said he had found an obscure warrantly clause for the PZEV engine, and would replace them free of charge! Hallelujah! Brought it in, they replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump controller module. Two days later I went to pick up the vehicle. And within 3 minutes of driving, I lost power and the car stalled, same exact symptoms. Is this car possessed? EEEEEEEk!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Do the Focus AC compressors have the teflon seals that lead to "black death" ?
Isn't that where the PCM is mounted (passenger footwell)?

Bookmarks & Social Networks