ST Oil Changes at Ford Dealerships - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #31
okaythen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120373
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST3 Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 okaythen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
only motorcraft and castrol oil? so does that mean if you use other brands it will affect the fuel economy and durability? I think if it's a good oil any engine oil will do right? as long as it's good it won't affect fuel economy and engine durability? like mobile 1, quaker state, valvoline etc....

we can also use conventional oil right? manual says full syn and blend.

also oild change for full synthetic is 6k to 7500, conventional is 3k, how about blend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy77 View Post
I change my own oil , i use Castrol edge which is the recommended oil for Fords

[IMG][/IMG]

6 quart of Full synthetic 5w30 Castrol cost me 40 dollars meanwhile 6 quarts of Motorcraft full synthetic would run me around 60 dollars
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
only motorcraft and castrol oil? so does that mean if you use other brands it will affect the fuel economy and durability? I think if it's a good oil any engine oil will do right? as long as it's good it won't affect fuel economy and engine durability? like mobile 1, quaker state, valvoline etc....

we can also use conventional oil right? manual says full syn and blend.

also oild change for full synthetic is 6k to 7500, conventional is 3k, how about blend?
Ford just says to run oil that meets their specifications:

Quote:
XO-5W30-QSP (US)
•CXO-5W30-LSP12 (Canada)
•XO-5W30-QFS (US)
•CXO-5W30-LFS12 (Canada) /
WSS-M2C946-A with API
Certification Mark
The manual snippet posted by dieselboy is not for the U.S. specification car as it calls for a different oil specification than required here.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #33
focusrod
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119046
What I Drive: 2012,red,focus,se,manual

FF Reputation: 1 focusrod Good Standing Member
here is the kicker...if your engine gets a tick or you end up blowing it you better have a ford filter and ford oil or they will fight you in court...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #34
okaythen
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrod View Post
here is the kicker...if your engine gets a tick or you end up blowing it you better have a ford filter and ford oil or they will fight you in court...
WOW is that right?!?! you don't use their oil/filter they won't warranty the new car?!?!

I was thinking about getting basic maintenance in local shop or do it my own, now if I still use ford oil/filter but I don't do the scheduled maintenance in ford dealer, will they void the warranty?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #35
focusrod
Focus Rookie

we have had several issues with both of the 2012 focus's I have...that being said one of the comments that was made to me from the manager of the service dept.."we are trying to be competitive with regards to the cost of services we offer ie. basic oil changes and we offer a several point inspection with this service...but if somthing goes wrong with the engine you better have a ford filter and oil installed because ford will fitght you in court" the 2012 and newer focus's have a 6 month or 8000km session between oil changes...50.00 twice a year to not have a warrenty issue with the motor is a small price to pay...because this is ford we are talking about lol..
Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #36
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrod View Post
Ford isn't the only manufacturer that does this. GM is worse.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
do they have the oil analyzed to see if it's "ford oil"? this smacks of urban legend to me.

oh, I think if the engine has been obviously abused they may resort to this tactic but I doubt they do this in every case.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
focusrod
Focus Rookie

next time you are in for service just ask the what if question about the warrenty issues that can arise from not using ford oils and filters...you dont buy a focus for its people moving capibilities...the vehicles are for the spirited driver, sporty and they inspire confidence...in the service waiting area which I was in today haha...there was a brochure.."do you have warrenty, do you have a ford filter" or somthing to that effect...and lets say something does happen to the engine, at least for the warrenty period it would be nice not to have to argue about the oil and filter...I had the oil changed at a different garage once..the result was a sensor faulted and the engine would not run on all 4 cylinders...the computer recorded the problem which resolved itself before I could have it looked at by ford..the mech said that is was a oil sensor and it seems to be ok at that time...but I will never do an economy change again even though it was valvoline oil...
Old 12-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
do they have the oil analyzed to see if it's "ford oil"? this smacks of urban legend to me.

oh, I think if the engine has been obviously abused they may resort to this tactic but I doubt they do this in every case.
Probably not an oil analysis but you might have to show records of what type of oil you used if you didn't get it changed at the dealer. Again with gm, if you can't prove you used oil with Dexos in it you might have a problem with warranty work if related to oil issues.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #40
okaythen
Focus Enthusiast

how much is it for a new engine including labor? 5k to 7k? for that kind of money Ford gonna take you to court?

Bookmarks & Social Networks