Seeking long-life tires. No, really. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
58custom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89473
What I Drive: 2007 SES Wagon, stock

FF Reputation: 1 58custom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Seeking long-life tires. No, really.

So I seem to be hard on tires. Not because I play Speed Racer, but, I guess, because I enjoy driving in the mountain & canyon roads in SoCal. I got a set of ProContact with EcoPlus Technology 205/60-15s about 20K miles ago. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lus+Technology I drive carefully and don't hot rod around the corners. Now, after 20K miles, I see I have maybe, if I am real careful, 5-7K more miles left on the tires. They have an 80K mile warranty. I feel I got hosed.

So I'm gonna need new tires soon when I should not have to think about it for another four years.

It's hard for me to believe that driving conservatively in the canyons would have accelerated the wear to this degree, but I guess it did.

So, I need some tough tires that can give me a few years wear while I put a kid through college. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
When I sold tires, the only brands that actually got close to the mileage they were rated for was Michelins and some BFGoodrich tires.

Having said that, I have had Michelin, 2 sets of BFG, Goodyear, and Cooper Tires.
Goodyear Eagles 50,000mi tire, got 32,000
Cooper 35,000mi tire, got 22,000
Frist set of BFG 60,000mi got 52,000
Second set of BFG 25,000mi got 22,000
And im on the Michelins right now which is a 45,000 mi tire im currently around 38,000

The Coopers, second set of BFG, and Michelins are all sport tires.

In my experience and what I saw when selling tires Michelin and BFG lasted the longest.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
58custom
Focus Rookie

SkyPilot,

Thank you very much for this info!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
what are you alignment specs and how often do your wheels get rotated? Could be something else there that's causing them to wear prematurely. The alignment specs for the focus is pretty wide, which could be hurting your tire life.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
sacking003
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 40988
What I Drive: 03 Blue SPI

FF Reputation: 2 sacking003 Good Standing Member
Although expensive from America's Tire. I like the yokohama yk580. My previous pair of yoko yk 490 lasted 4 years, more if I did an alignment 3 years in. I switched to a Bridgestone ponzea those lasted only 2 years. So I went back to the yokos.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
58custom
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
what are you alignment specs and how often do your wheels get rotated? Could be something else there that's causing them to wear prematurely. The alignment specs for the focus is pretty wide, which could be hurting your tire life.
I had the car aligned at the local Ford dealer. I rotate every oil change (5K). I think it's the canyons. Like this one:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/LittleTujungaRd.htm
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
jasonbi
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13305
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 3 jasonbi Good Standing Member
look at something like the Michelin defender/continental ecoplus....insane mileage warranty's and claims of long life...stay away from anything performance/sport, that'll get you something with a softer compound, better grip but shorter life. have a look at the utqg ratings on the tires you are looking at...the higher the number generally means longer life...usually performance tires hit around 300 or lower. i've seen some Michelin tires in the 7-800 range. keep in mind that the ratings are not equal across brands so a 700 Michelin is not the same as a 700 bfg/bridgestone, etc. it'll give you a good idea where each tire stacks up across a manufacturers line-up. keep in mind you're probably gonna pay a little more for a tire that'll get you some life...
#3286 OF 4788
Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Custodian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79355
What I Drive: 2011 SGM Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Custodian Good Standing Member
A quick look at the UTQG numbers in Tirerack shows these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Hankook Optimo H725 on Drag DR-33
General Altimax Arctic on OEM alloys
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I have seen a lot of newer Fords coming into work with Michelin's (Energy, I believe) that have gotten a lot of miles on them. We checked date codes on one set of tires, which were about the time the car was made, and it had 95k on the Michelin Energy's and they still had 5/32 tread left. Now it was a fleet vehicle, so tire rotations were done every 5k.

Ive also heard that Hankook Optimo 426 are a good tire, mileage wise. I have never personally ran any of these, but my sister has about 10k on her 205/60r15's, and they are showing almost no tread loss.

Personally, I run Firestone Affinity tires. It is an economy tire that we install on anything from a Focus, to a Nissan Rogue. I know a bad comparison, but they wear really well, and also have a 70,000 mile warranty. I have almost 15k on them, and they are showing 9/32 left of the 11/32 new.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
are you claiming the tires against the warrenty? should be able to get a decent prorated value out of them when they bite the dust

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->