Legality of blue LEDs - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
will.flickema
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104204
What I Drive: 2002 Navy Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 will.flickema Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Legality of blue LEDs

Hello!

I don't know if there is already a thread for this, but I have some questions about blue interior LEDs. I live in Illinois, chicago suburbs, so cops aren't really a big deal, but a friend was checking out the interior of my car and I showed him the LEDs and he warned me that they are illegal. Now all I can find is information regarding laws from california. I literally just saw an mk3 thread that had blue interior lights and I used the LEDs inside of my air vents from another thread that used blue LEDs, so I am very confused on the legality of them at all.

Please help, and if you could cite the law if you find it that'd be awesome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
kwg2371
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82857
What I Drive: 03 screming yellow SVT #1841

Points 3,774, Level 38
Points: 3,774, Level: 38 Points: 3,774, Level: 38 Points: 3,774, Level: 38
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 kwg2371 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
its hit or miss with the cops in IL. technically if "they" can see red or blue light on your car It's classified as illegal

now say if your windows are tinted and its harder to see inside of the car I really wouldn't worry to much
HatchNation #36
FF 13 best audio
FF 13 3rd place best in class SVT
FFW 13 best focus
FFW 13-14 best in class SVT
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 11,129, Level 69
Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69 Points: 11,129, Level: 69
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
In Chicago it's hit or miss with cops... But like Kyle said.. Blue and Red are illegal..

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The law usually states the Blue lights facing forward or backwards on a vehicle is reserved for emergency vehicles only (and red can only face backwards on non-emergency vehicles, and forward on emergency vehicles only).If they're interior lights I doubt you'll have a problem. Blue and red come factory on vehicles now(especially when they have multiple colors). I wouldn't worry if I were you.
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Yeah it would be a cop thing. IF you got stopped for something else, the lights may add to the tickets. If the cop decides he hates you those blue lights could get even more attention.
Blue lights visible outside a non-cop car is totally illegal in a lot of states.
Some blue lights are even illegal to SELL to non-cops.
(pretending to be a cop REALLY pisses off cops)
So if the lights cannot be seen outside the vehicle while driving at all. then i would not worry.
If they can be seen like from a vehicle alongside... then I would say change them to not blue.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,875, Level 74
Points: 12,875, Level: 74 Points: 12,875, Level: 74 Points: 12,875, Level: 74
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
As others have said it's hit or miss with the officers. But most states do not allow LED or neon lighting to be red or blue if it is anywhere on the exterior of the car. A friend of mine was pulled over and ticketed a few years ago for having those stupid blue washer nozzle lights. But he also had blue neon inside the car as well and was never ticketed for that. But some cars come with ambient interior lighting now a days and I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. So I am assuming it's safe to say that you would be okay on having the interior lights, but make sure the bulb or bar is not visible above the windows, like having a LED bar up on your dashboard would probably not be a good thing.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Teknique
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104983
What I Drive: 07 Grey Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Teknique Good Standing Member
Right, they are illegal but not heavily enforced. However, in Ky there has been talk about enforcing those rules more often. there are certain wavelengths of light that kill a persons night vision very quickly such as blues and bright whites that are often emitted by LEDs and halogens. There's a lot of good reading out there if you ever want to know more about car headlights than you ever need to know haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.