HOW TO: zxw rack on zx5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85098
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 austinpetemo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HOW TO: zxw rack on zx5

This will be in multiple posts as it is currently a work in progress, so for the sake of continuity I ask that any comments and questions go HERE until I complete this.

Yesterday me and my grandfather went to the scrap yard to replace a broken window and other broken parts on my zx5. Ended up getting a roof rack off of a zxw as well for $24, a deal I couldn't pass. While taking the rack off the zxw we looked at how it was mounted and found similar mounts in the roof of a zx3 we dismantled at the yard.

We spend yesterday afternoon removing the upper interior panels and my headliner to dry fit how we wanted it to go on and talk over some ideas for how to mount it.

WARNING: This requires drilling LARGE holes in the roof of your car, definitely not for the faint of heart.

This is where the front mount is, its the indented tab right above the "oh sh!t" handles.

This is where we thought we would mount the middle brace, however we ended up skipping using the middle brace altogether since it wasn't necessary. This is above the rear driver side door, once again next to the "oh sh!t" handles.

This is in the back driver side almost to the hatch. You can faintly see 4 little indentations within the framing. We used the once farthest back (this will be clearer shortly).

Well, this is the point of no return, so make it count! We drilled from the bottom up. Started with the front driver side.

View from the inside.

Had to slowly widen the hole. Fitted one of the feet down over the hole and scratched a guide for about how big the hole needed to be. We didnt have a large enough drill bit so we had to grind the hole to the right size. Dont be too worried about marking up around the hole, the foot will cover it.

Bolted the front foot on with the railing attached, notice that we removed the center mount, we ultimately decided not to use it. The rail is a little TOO long.

Here it is bolted down, looks pretty clean and fits pretty snug. There is a washer on the bottom of the mount that we had to remove to get a snug fit.

Underside view

Here is what the mount looks like prior to having the washers removed.

Sure is a big hole, thankfully it seals up pretty nicely. Gonna put some GE silicone around all of this to "seal the deal" so to speak.

Here is where we drilled for the rear mount, the hole in the frame is actually a little bit off (it should be about 1/4 inch towards the outside) from where the mount sat so we had to redrill later on.

View from top

Eyeing things up

Didnt quite sit flush with that first hole we drilled through the frame.

Here is how the rear mount sits, we had to add 2 washers underneath it so that the mount sat all the way down on the frame, otherwise it pulled the roof down a bit.

Marking the bar to be cut.

Bar cut, both feet mounted.

Looks pretty clean thus-far.

View from the rear.

From passenger side.

Will have to move where the screws run through the crossbars to extend them a little farther.

Please excuse my interior panels sitting underneath my car :P

Well, thats all I was able to do today. Tomorrow I will be putting the passenger side on, extending the bars, and tapping a hole so that the front crossbar stays in place.

More to come tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
stealthzx3
Enthusiast

Fan#: 94260
What I Drive: 2001 Ebony ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 stealthzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I was thinking about doing this a while ago, but couldn't grow the nuts to drill those holes. Props for being the first one to do it, and i'm intrigued to see it done.

Focus Central
Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
MattDzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99676
What I Drive: 2002 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 MattDzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nicely done! with it being a factory rack it looks OEM.
Rally Revolution #78, NW Posse #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkebooboo View Post
One does not simply "unstance" Their car
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
odd3010
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 odd3010 Good Standing Member
I know you said you are going to put some silicone around the seal but it probably wouldn't hurt to squirt some from the bottom of the hole too for add precaution.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
very cool idea.

what kept you from mounting the front of the rack more towards the windshield? Would the bars/feet not sit flush still?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Awesome! I like this idea, I think it needs painted all black though, that silver... But still, great job!
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Today we drilled the passenger side holes and got the bar cut down to fit. (In this pic you can see the window that is busted out. If anyone knows how to replace that window please PM me!)

When extended all the way the crossbars are too short. This was just a dry fit to see how much work we would have to do to make the crossbars fit.

So what we originally had thought to be a washer is actually part of the mount that snapped off. The first mount that we put on (front driver side) was rusted and when we pulled on what we thought was a washer it snapped off without any problem and the rest of the part remained rusted in place. So for the front passenger side rather than remove that part (you have no choice, it holds the threaded part inside the front foot) we used a grinder to grind it down far enough that the front foot would sit flush against the car.

We had to add approx 1.5 inches length to the crossbars, and were able to do so without problem. We just had to back the screws out and drill new holes to accommodate. It was too windy to spray paint, fingers crossed on no winds tomorrow, hopefully then I will be able to get everything finalized and put on the car. As of right now it is completed otherwise.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
disciplerocks
Pushrods

Fan#: 59330
What I Drive: 04 ZX3, 12 Hatch

FF Reputation: 13 disciplerocks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Well done and nice write up. I had thought about this as well a while back, but couldn't make myself drill the holes.
FocusXtreme - Hatch Nation #96
04 ZX3 5.0, T5, 4 lug 7.5 w/ 3.73s [3/13 ROTM] ["Best Non-SVT" FITF '12]
12 SE Hatch Sport & Winter Package, ST Front End
91 Ranger XLT 3/4 drop
89 Bronco II XLT Well the body is still stock, what's left of it
97 Mountaineer 5.0, AWD, 3.73s
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
austinpetemo
Focus Enthusiast

Painted and finished!!!!

There was alot of trial and error and headscratching involved, but Im very happy with how it came out. I was able to put all of my weight (140lbs) on the crossbars without a problem, although realistically I wont ever be putting that much weight up there, however I know that it can be done.

Also I figured while I had my headliner out I would install a domelight for the rear seat. The light is from the back of a zxw (that I ripped the rack from)

Mounting ring pressed into headliner

Works great!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
stealthzx3
Enthusiast

Fan#: 94260
What I Drive: 2001 Ebony ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 stealthzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Great job man. Now get that window fixed.

Focus Central

Bookmarks & Social Networks