200 N/A hp? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Mrdrdzts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 85431
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Mrdrdzts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
200 N/A hp?

I was wondering if anyone has tried getting 200 N/A HP out of a zetec? I really don't want to go FI because I don't want to kill my mpgs but I would like to have a little more get up and go on my DD and I was wondering what mods I could do to increase HP? I was thinking UDP, header back exhaust, lighter flywheel...anything else I could try?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I would browse the stickied threads at the top of the section here. They have all the info you need to know. This has been asked before and your much better off going forced induction, it's cheaper, just as fuel efficient maybe even more so, and it's easily attainable. You can get as much as 170whp n/a which would be around 200 at the crank but the money to get there is not worth it vs the gains.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
I'm wondering what the big deal with 200hp is? I think most n/a threads people have asked how to get to 200hp... The SVT only made like 170hp off of the line, and since it has a greatly modified Zetec, you can imagine the work it would take to pass it...

I myself am/will be attempting the N/A rought, but I do not have any horsepower goals, I would like to see maybe 20 more ponies to make it a little bit more fun... but really I'm not aiming to high... I'm only messing around...

A turbo will not kill your highway MPGs infact it could potentially make them better unless of course you're laying on the throttle...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I've read some threads where people have put atleast $5k into their motor and barely got 200hp. You can get a turbo set up for a better deal than that. As previousily said, if you keep your foot out of it, then you shouldnt, if any, lose any mpg.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdrdzts View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried getting 200 N/A HP out of a zetec? I really don't want to go FI because I don't want to kill my mpgs but I would like to have a little more get up and go on my DD and I was wondering what mods I could do to increase HP? I was thinking UDP, header back exhaust, lighter flywheel...anything else I could try?

None of that is going to get you even close.

There is a well (opinion) defined line to get good power form the zetec. Or to put it another way, there are parts you will absolutely need.

- Good cams. Crower stg. III's are going to be your best bet.
- Good headwork. The stock head can't flow enough air to get 200hp. Either professionally ported or someone who knows what they are doing. The option here is larger valves and shaving the head to raise compression.
- Good fuel.
- Good tune.
- Good header. I like the stock SVT header personally. It's durable enough and far better quality than anything ebay has to offer, and it's proven.
- Good intake. Not just piping but manifold also. Any bend or restriction is going to be a hindrance.

If you want to go this route, you're not going to do so cheaply. I'm at about the bottom of the list far as money spent and I've still got ~ $2,000 into my car.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Mrdrdzts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok maybe not 200 HP, that was just a number I was throwing out there. I'm really just looking for quicker throttle response and try to get rid of the whole feeling like I'm towing a loaded semi trailer thing but I really don't want to run on premium or sacrifice my mpgs cuz this is my DD. I've been wrenching on cars for over 15 years so I can do just about anything, I was just wondering what some of you have done to increase throttle response and HP but not kill your mpgs in the process?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Mrdrdzts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Off subject, I'm trying to list a bunch of parts I'm trying to sell such as rims, dash, engine, trans, etc. but when I go into that catagory to list something it says I don't have permission to access the page. What is that all about and how can I get around that so I can list the items im selling? Furthermore how do I go about posting pics of the items I'm selling? Thank you all in advance for your help
Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
You have to have 25 posts and have been a member for at least 30 days. This
is to prevent unwanted scammers from just joining and posting ads.

Here is the full topic.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/announcement.php?a=4

==============================================

anyway if you want N/A power without running premium fuel your not going to make it very far, I believe tom does offer a tune for 87 octane... but I don't think it'd make any difference on a but dyno...

If you want power without premium fuel your only real options are, race header, CAI, low restriction exhaust topped off with a high flow catalytic... Maybe stage 1 cams, but I think that might actually affect your mpg... 91 octane doesn't really cost to much more, what is it, $2-$4 more a tank?
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned a Throttle Body(much better response than OEM, smile factor)and adjustable cam gears. So depending on what your budget is(nearly everyone one with these kind of questions fails to mention what theirs is), SVT Intake and snorkle, drop in K&N panel filter, 65mm TB, adjustable cam gears(Dyno tuned of course), SVT header, 2.5 inch flex pipe and exhaust, a tuner like Tom's Tune is a great start.

If you have the money, PnP head and cams on top of it.

Or, just boost it. The OEM Zetec will handle 240 WHP on stock internals FWIW.

I agree with Cody about paying a little extra for better gas.

iminhell really knows the Zetec well FYI

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Mrdrdzts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I have a magnaflow SS "flex" back exhaust and a cheap short ram intake with a K&N cone filter so far, the things I'd like to get are an svt header, 65mm throttle body, possibly adjustable cam gears with dyno tune, better intake, UDP, and in the future a lightweight flywheel.

Last edited by iminhell; 06-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->