A/C Compressor Clicking - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
TheSheerOg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96730
What I Drive: 2001 Silver Ford Focus Ghia

FF Reputation: 1 TheSheerOg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A/C Compressor Clicking

So i was sitting in a car park having a smoke, so i had the window open, and i still had the heater set to windscreen, max heat and and 1. I noticed a clicking noise coming from under the hood, and the car power going up and down when it clicked. I had no idea what it was, until i got home and checked under the hood with the car running. I found something turning on and off with the serpentine belt going around it. I checked the Haynes manual and this appears to be the A/C Compressor.

The only things i can see that cause this clicking is Air Con being on, and also having the blowers aimed at the windscreen, which also causes the radiator fans to kick in also.

Is this normal ?

Could it be related to a problem i have been having, in which the aircon works for 30 minutes sometimes, and then cut outs, until i turn it off for a bit, then switch it back on about 30 minutes to an hour later ?

Il try and get a video of it if i can :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
No those are two separate "problems"...

When you have defrost on, the A/C runs to remove moisture from the air so your windows are less likely to fog up.

As for you problem with the A/C kicking out, you probably have moisture in the A/C lines that freezes after the A/C has ran a while, this can become a problem. It's best to have the A/C system evacuated and recharged.
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^ huh?

That's totally normal man, if it wasn't blowing cold air, then that would be something else. American cars have been doing this for a long time- just another way our government tries to ensure that everyone uses more fuel. Well... that and dry air tends to de-fog a windscreen much faster.

Your AC will kick off when the pressure is too low on the low side- that's normal. Especially if the temps are lower outside. It will still come on, but the low pressure switch will kick it off much quicker since pressure is relative to temperature- ambient and evaporator temps.

Don't worry about that, or the little bit of water that will collect under the car when the AC is on until either you start smelling swamp water inside the car, or the AC stops being cool.

Don't worry about moisture in your system. The only time you have that problem is when the system is exposed to the atmosphere- which means no cool air for you, and no refrigerant inside. There is a part of your AC system designed to remove moisture and trap it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
^I could not agree more Alex.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Yes, normal for it to click on and off all over the place. As long as you are cold don't worry about it.

If the compressor clicked on once and stayed on continuously, it would blow up in a matter of minutes. They always have to eventually cut back off at least occasionally.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Quote:
Could it be related to a problem i have been having, in which the aircon works for 30 minutes sometimes, and then cut outs, until i turn it off for a bit, then switch it back on about 30 minutes to an hour later ?
I could be entirely wrong... But this is why I said moisture could be in the system, if the PO changed something himself and never evacuated the system there could be moister in the lines... AFAIK this will cause the A/C to "freeze" because the moister has clotted up somewhere and dulled the efficiency of the system.

Granted all aircon systems work poorly if not evacuated, but they still work...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Never can tell, could be.........generally shows up a bit faster than that. But.......could be clutch coil getting hot and shucking out too.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
TheSheerOg
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a video of the issue, typical it doesn't show up with the windscreen heater on :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvsDM...ature=youtu.be

Could be normal for all I know, im just looking into it really.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
TheSheerOg
Focus Enthusiast

Bump.

Anyone ? :(
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
FocusGhia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
Yes all normal. Your revs will alternate to take into account the extra load/power drain that you have on the engine. If you turn on your lights you'll also see same effect on revs.....effectively revs will increase or decrease to supply extra power to the alternator to maintain specified charge on battery/electrical power. If it didn't do so then you'd see headlights dim due to lack of power.

Bookmarks & Social Networks