'03 SVT - leaned out in 6th gear, melted piston - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
rent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12823
What I Drive: 03' SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 rent Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm interested to hear your impressions after getting it back. Looks solid.

'03 SVTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
SuperStockAMX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89501
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SuperStockAMX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Iminhell...
Good call on that. This is the first time since about 1987 that I rebuilt or semi-rebuilt an engine in the car and not on an engine stand. And it's the second time for this particular engine. When I bought it at 98,000 miles, it had around 15,000 miles on new factory pistons, rods & rings; no valve job or bearings due to scored cylinder walls from a CAI that was run dirty. At least that's what I was told. As the owner's dad was the Service Mgr @ the Ford dealer, it was done at the dealership with the block still in the car. Their work had around 50,000 miles on it and when I checked it not long ago I had 165#'s compression across all 4 cylinders.

Rent...
Yea, me too! Tomorrow mid-day I'll have it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStockAMX View Post
Head is installed, now all the peripheral stuff.

Check this out on you tube. The shop built this engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTzxCHgRO4&feature=fvw
Turn up the volume!

You gotta see this race. This car is 103 CID (almost 1600cc) and is a 1960 Ginetta with a Lotus Hemi head with dual Webers. It makes 250 HP (2.42 HP per CID!) and shifts around 9500 RPM, tops out around 10,000 RPM. It races in a nostalgia race circuit.
My engine builder, Bud Yancer, (see www.machdevelopment,com) took care of the engine, trans, rear and suspension tune.
This car has been bumped up several classes due to it's win streak and the whinny racers (see? it's everywhere!) and now competes against Porches & 'Vettes. This car has been torn down so many times and all they do is shake there head and move it up a class.
This 1600 cc four is frickin' awesome!
Wow, Thats awesome.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #34
SuperStockAMX
Focus Enthusiast

Got a ride out to the shop and drove the 75 miles home. With 15 miles on it I hit triple digits above where I lost it last time and it was still pulling. I know, pretty lame for a guy that just turned 53! After that I took it easy all the way home.

Runs great. Much, much smoother from idle on up. It definitely has more "snap" that is noticeable on very light throttle tip-in at all speeds. Is it like adding a shot of NOS? No, but you can tell it's better than before I had the problem. I got on it a little in traffic and it will spin the Pilot Super Sports where it wouldn't before.

I want to get about 2,500 miles on the engine and then I'll go back to Mobil 1. Somewhere along the way I need to have Turbo Tom ride tune the car via laptop as I now have the 180* thermostat and I know he'll crank out a few more horses by fine tuning the computer.

I wish I would have taken this to the dragstrip so I could have a MPH number in the quarter to estimate the HP before the work. I'd much rather have more objective numbers than subjective "seat of the pants" numbers. But now (I live in Phoenix, Arizona), this year we lost both dragstrips so can't do that.

Now that fall is around the corner, and after I get the new tune, I'll find a chassis dyno and see what numbers it generates. Anybody have a recommendation in the Phoenix area? I do have a fairly fresh Stage IV clutch.

FYI - I paid $540 for the four Diamond forged SVT spec pistons, $160 for the pistons coating (skirts and crowns), $288 for the Total Seal rings and $75 to modify the oil squirters to .024". The Head and valve work was $750 and honing the cylinders .006" +/- to fit pistons was $450. After that, it's your labor or shop labor hours x rate plus parts needed.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
PLEASE lets make sure your safe before any more spirited runs on that new engine , datalog please ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
SuperStockAMX
Focus Enthusiast

Tom, I'll call you on that because (and it may be painfully obvious), the tech side of new cars is way beyond my skill level! I can find a 1/2 second on a carb race car that other's can't but when it comes to computers, I'm a zero.
I've got a guy that does a lot of late model turbo work and I'm going to talk to him and get him on this. My laptop is an iMac and I know that won't work with your programing so I need to see if he has a windows based laptop. Then you and I can go for a ride and get this even better. I'll get some of those colder plugs also. I have 91 octane fuel here and your 92 octane tune doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #37
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
What some do is go to the pawn shop and for 80 to 125 buy an older XP laptop , wipe it clean and reboot it just for tuning
I can take over your laptop , set everything up and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you showing you how to use everything

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks