Sunroof Problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
KyleKaplan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83998
What I Drive: 2011 Blue SES

FF Reputation: 1 KyleKaplan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Sunroof Problem

So I pulled out the interior fuse box (the one under the steering column) to do some prep work for an upcoming project, more on that later. After re-installing the fuse box, everything works, except for the darn sunroof! Yes, I've checked all the fuses with my multi-meter, and the power windows work (same fuse), and I have 12v at the sunroof switch. I can't seem to determine exactly how to do the reset procedure for the sunroof, because I'm not sure which button to use. I feel like I've tried both of the buttons, and all combinations of the two buttons, but nothing has worked, PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
You will want to follow the directions for re-initialization of the motor. It starts after the second bolded heading.

Quote:
Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization

Initializing a New Roof Opening Panel Motor

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: This procedure should only be carried out when the roof opening panel motor is connected.

NOTE: The roof opening panel alignment must be carried out prior to carrying out roof opening panel motor initialization. For additional information, refer to Roof Opening Panel Alignment in this section.

1. Press and hold the roof opening panel control switch in the up/close position until the roof opening panel moves slightly past full vent 2 mm (0.08 in) and the roof opening panel motor stops.
2. Quickly release the roof opening panel control switch and re-press and hold (within 0.5 second) until the roof opening panel returns to the full open position and then back to the fully closed position.
3. Release the roof opening panel control switch and verify successful initialization by performing one-touch open and one-touch close operations.

Re-Initializing an Existing Roof Opening Panel Motor

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: This procedure should only be carried out when the roof opening panel motor is connected.

NOTE: The roof opening panel alignment must be carried out prior to carrying out roof opening panel motor initialization. For additional information, refer to Roof Opening Panel Alignment in this section.

1. Operate the roof opening panel to the full vent position.
2. Press and hold the roof opening panel control switch in the up/close position (for approximately 30 seconds) until the roof opening panel moves slightly past full vent 2 mm (0.08 in) and the roof opening panel motor stops.
3. Quickly release the roof opening panel control switch and re-press and hold (within 0.5 second) until the roof opening panel moves to the full open position and then back to the fully closed position.
4. Release the roof opening panel control switch and verify successful initialization by performing one-touch open and one-touch close operations.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
KyleKaplan
Focus Rookie

I'm not at the car now, which button do I hold down for 30s, the button on the left or right? Also, when you say up/close position, does that mean up, as in towards the sky?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

I'm not sure. I only had to have it done once, because the dealer had effed it up with something else. When I get home from the gym, I'll figure it out

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKaplan View Post
I'm not at the car now, which button do I hold down for 30s, the button on the left or right? Also, when you say up/close position, does that mean up, as in towards the sky?
Left or right button? I haven't looked at any of the newer (2009 -2011) models to look at the sunroof controls, but on my car, you push the front button to close the roof, or vent it (which is the one it wants you to hold for 30 seconds).

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
gtferrari
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88110
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 4 gtferrari Good Standing Member
The switch should be longitudinal with the car (front to back) pressing the forward half will close tye roof from the full open position or vent the roof it is a one touch auto function. Pressing the rear of the switch will close the roof from the vent position or open the roof fully from the closed position. Once the roof is open fully pressing the button again will retract the roof a few more inches into the car this is to retrain the roof.

Now if the roof is in need of retraining it will not auto stop and will cycle back and forth the only way to get the glass to stop moving is to shut the car off. I had to do this in the rain once.

To force it to re learn hold down the switch as the instructions say

Rep Points dont add themselves
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
gtferrari
Focus Addict

The switch should be longitudinal with the car (front to back) pressing the forward half will close tye roof from the full open position or vent the roof it is a one touch auto function. Pressing the rear of the switch will close the roof from the vent position or open the roof fully from the closed position. Once the roof is open fully pressing the button again will retract the roof a few more inches into the car this is to retrain the roof.

Now if the roof is in need of retraining it will not auto stop and will cycle back and forth the only way to get the glass to stop moving is to shut the car off. I had to do this in the rain once.

To force it to re learn hold down the switch as the instructions say

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
KyleKaplan
Focus Rookie

The switch type you're describing is in the MKI Fofo, the MKII has two separate switches. Thanks for trying to help!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
gtferrari
Focus Addict

[IMG] Untitled by gtferrari, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
KyleKaplan
Focus Rookie

Hmm, they must have changed the sunroof switch design somewhere between the 2008 and 2011. I have two separate switches!

Bookmarks & Social Networks