New Select Shift Owner - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115153
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Select Shift Owner

Just bought my 2013 Focus SE with the 6 Speed Select Shift Transmission. The car has less than 200 miles on it and I am having reservations about this transmission. Specifically, when the weather heats up outside (I live in Phoenix) and the AC is on, the car feels EXTREMELY sluggish... almost as if it's trying to start out in 2nd gear. If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission). Is this normal or does it sound like I have bought a lemon? I plan on taking it back to the dealership this week when the service department is open (been closed due to Memorial Day Weekend). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Sluggish transmission and slipping have been reported before on the forums. Definitely take your car in, but you'll probably be told wait until 1k miles since there is a break in period before they diagnose problems. And don't expect much from Ford. They'll probably give you the "it's normal car operating functionality" spiel. You can also get in touch with the Customer Service reps that are on these boards and see if they can help out.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Focus-Freak
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114894
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Focus-Freak Good Standing Member
Yea the DCT has been giving people hell. Mine seems to be fine, and if I want better response I just drop it into Sport mode and manual shift.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Yep.......Manual tranny.......:D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,768, Level 38
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Hot weather & A/C on? Try one tank of premium fuel.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
babaei
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113602
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Points 230, Level 4
Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVEP72 View Post
If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission).
While several members of the forum have legitimate mechanical problems with the DCT, most of these seem to have been sorted out by the 2013 model year.

Your car has new clutches, which do take some time to break in, and you may feel some weird slipping until they do. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a bit of hard driving on it (eg some heavy accelerations from a stop) to work in both clutches.

Also, because of the DCT, the car has some funny characteristics that are just different from normal automatics. One is that it doesn't like feathering or hesitation on the throttle very much, especially at low speed - what you felt probably was close to a stall, and the DCT pulled the clutch at the last minute. Much like a manual in low gear, it prefers steady throttle application. Also, when accelerating, the engine does have to rev up a bit before engaging the clutch - this is the same as with a manual.

The low speed creep (what you're calling "granny start") is artificial behaviour by the transmission software to imitate what an automatic does. Ford actually has a patent on it (and the original 2012 Focuses didn't do it in reverse - that software was added later).

It would have been nice (and in Ford's interest) to put together a manual or video about how the DCT behaves differently than a traditional automatic. After breaking in the clutches, other than the occasional weird shift and the occasional roll-back on a hill, I'm getting used to the quirks of the DCT and am enjoying the ride (and fuel economy).

That being said, after breaking in the transmission, if you're still having obvious issues (extremely poor fuel economy, grinding noises, extremely rough ride, etc.), the transmissions can be faulty and I'd visit the dealer. But try some driving and heavy accelerations first.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 7,376, Level 57
Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVEP72 View Post
Just bought my 2013 Focus SE with the 6 Speed Select Shift Transmission. The car has less than 200 miles on it and I am having reservations about this transmission. Specifically, when the weather heats up outside (I live in Phoenix) and the AC is on, the car feels EXTREMELY sluggish... almost as if it's trying to start out in 2nd gear. If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission). Is this normal or does it sound like I have bought a lemon? I plan on taking it back to the dealership this week when the service department is open (been closed due to Memorial Day Weekend). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yes your car will be sluggish with the A/C on...it's only got 160 (rated) horsepower.

You can't drive it like an automatic. If you accelerate from a stop, then release the accelerator quickly the clutch will likely disengage so the engine doesn't stall at the low RPM. If you then give it gas it probably *just* disengaged so now it has to engage it again real quick because now you want to go and not stop...

Just sayin', be deliberate with your actions and the gearbox will work much better. It's not an automatic, so don't treat it like one. If you do stuff like that, it'll be a long and jerky ride.

The gearbox itself is a TRUE manual. It doesn't operate any differently at it's core. The difference is that there is a computer to control the shifting instead of a human. Beyond that, the differences are minor.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
rick217
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110731
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Yes your car will be sluggish with the A/C on...it's only got 160 (rated) horsepower.

You can't drive it like an automatic. If you accelerate from a stop, then release the accelerator quickly the clutch will likely disengage so the engine doesn't stall at the low RPM. If you then give it gas it probably *just* disengaged so now it has to engage it again real quick because now you want to go and not stop...

Just sayin', be deliberate with your actions and the gearbox will work much better. It's not an automatic, so don't treat it like one. If you do stuff like that, it'll be a long and jerky ride.

The gearbox itself is a TRUE manual. It doesn't operate any differently at it's core. The difference is that there is a computer to control the shifting instead of a human. Beyond that, the differences are minor.
Sure....no problems....you guys sound just like you work for Ford public relations...LOL............I suppose the grinding noises, the hesitation when you pull out into traffic (which almost got me killed) and overheating in stop-and-go traffic are normal.....This transmission is crap and to prove it just look at all the posts on this forum with people having major issues..........
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115153
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
Thanks, babaei. I'll give it a little time to see if things "break in" and to get use to driving a DCT. My last car (Nissan Sentra) had a CVT so I had to get use to driving that car too.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Give it until about 3k on the clock, then start taking it in and insisting on paperwork, even if it says nothing found, every time.

The transmission sucks, big time, and ford has calculated the best response to the very real issues is to deny and stonewall, while the ford employees on sites like this run interference, even up to the point of blaming the driver for somehow not knowing how to drive this newfangled technology.

Likely your tranny will get worse as it adapts to your driving, and you'll have periods when it seems OK (especially in light traffic), only to be brought back to reality by an 8 second delay in getting into gear when you trying to merge, or a huge car jarring downshift mistake, or a tranny overheat alarm, or just noise and general poor drivability from erratic, unpredictable shifting.

What you can expect here is nothing. Ford either has no fix, or has decided it's too much work to fix, and people here would just as soon people with bad trannys go away.

Bookmarks & Social Networks