New Select Shift Owner - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast
 
VanceVEP72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Fan#: 115153
Location: Phoenix, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

Posts: 87
Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Select Shift Owner

Just bought my 2013 Focus SE with the 6 Speed Select Shift Transmission. The car has less than 200 miles on it and I am having reservations about this transmission. Specifically, when the weather heats up outside (I live in Phoenix) and the AC is on, the car feels EXTREMELY sluggish... almost as if it's trying to start out in 2nd gear. If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission). Is this normal or does it sound like I have bought a lemon? I plan on taking it back to the dealership this week when the service department is open (been closed due to Memorial Day Weekend). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.


VanceVEP72 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
symbology
Focus Enthusiast
 
symbology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94555
Location: Oakland, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

Posts: 176
FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sluggish transmission and slipping have been reported before on the forums. Definitely take your car in, but you'll probably be told wait until 1k miles since there is a break in period before they diagnose problems. And don't expect much from Ford. They'll probably give you the "it's normal car operating functionality" spiel. You can also get in touch with the Customer Service reps that are on these boards and see if they can help out.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus 5dr Hatchback Metallic Black SEL 301A
symbology is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Focus-Freak
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Focus-Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Fan#: 114894
Location: Denham Springs, LA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus SEL Hatch

Posts: 49
FF Reputation: 1 Focus-Freak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yea the DCT has been giving people hell. Mine seems to be fine, and if I want better response I just drop it into Sport mode and manual shift.
Focus-Freak is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusOnMeNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97757
Location: Whittier, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

Posts: 206
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep.......Manual tranny.......:D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
FocusOnMeNow is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 3,067
Points 3,768, Level 38
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hot weather & A/C on? Try one tank of premium fuel.
__________________
I am Kabigon and I approve this message.
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
babaei
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113602
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 175
Points 230, Level 4
Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4 Points: 230, Level: 4
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVEP72 View Post
If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission).
While several members of the forum have legitimate mechanical problems with the DCT, most of these seem to have been sorted out by the 2013 model year.

Your car has new clutches, which do take some time to break in, and you may feel some weird slipping until they do. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a bit of hard driving on it (eg some heavy accelerations from a stop) to work in both clutches.

Also, because of the DCT, the car has some funny characteristics that are just different from normal automatics. One is that it doesn't like feathering or hesitation on the throttle very much, especially at low speed - what you felt probably was close to a stall, and the DCT pulled the clutch at the last minute. Much like a manual in low gear, it prefers steady throttle application. Also, when accelerating, the engine does have to rev up a bit before engaging the clutch - this is the same as with a manual.

The low speed creep (what you're calling "granny start") is artificial behaviour by the transmission software to imitate what an automatic does. Ford actually has a patent on it (and the original 2012 Focuses didn't do it in reverse - that software was added later).

It would have been nice (and in Ford's interest) to put together a manual or video about how the DCT behaves differently than a traditional automatic. After breaking in the clutches, other than the occasional weird shift and the occasional roll-back on a hill, I'm getting used to the quirks of the DCT and am enjoying the ride (and fuel economy).

That being said, after breaking in the transmission, if you're still having obvious issues (extremely poor fuel economy, grinding noises, extremely rough ride, etc.), the transmissions can be faulty and I'd visit the dealer. But try some driving and heavy accelerations first.
babaei is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,772
Points 7,376, Level 57
Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57 Points: 7,376, Level: 57
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceVEP72 View Post
Just bought my 2013 Focus SE with the 6 Speed Select Shift Transmission. The car has less than 200 miles on it and I am having reservations about this transmission. Specifically, when the weather heats up outside (I live in Phoenix) and the AC is on, the car feels EXTREMELY sluggish... almost as if it's trying to start out in 2nd gear. If I try to give the car ANY gas beyond a granny start, the clutch seems to slip excessively before grabbing. Also, the second day I drove it, I started to accelerate from a dead stop, let off the gas and then back on it and there was a very loud pop from the transaxle (like when you stall a car with a true manual transmission). Is this normal or does it sound like I have bought a lemon? I plan on taking it back to the dealership this week when the service department is open (been closed due to Memorial Day Weekend). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yes your car will be sluggish with the A/C on...it's only got 160 (rated) horsepower.

You can't drive it like an automatic. If you accelerate from a stop, then release the accelerator quickly the clutch will likely disengage so the engine doesn't stall at the low RPM. If you then give it gas it probably *just* disengaged so now it has to engage it again real quick because now you want to go and not stop...

Just sayin', be deliberate with your actions and the gearbox will work much better. It's not an automatic, so don't treat it like one. If you do stuff like that, it'll be a long and jerky ride.

The gearbox itself is a TRUE manual. It doesn't operate any differently at it's core. The difference is that there is a computer to control the shifting instead of a human. Beyond that, the differences are minor.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
rick217
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110731
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

Posts: 86
FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Yes your car will be sluggish with the A/C on...it's only got 160 (rated) horsepower.

You can't drive it like an automatic. If you accelerate from a stop, then release the accelerator quickly the clutch will likely disengage so the engine doesn't stall at the low RPM. If you then give it gas it probably *just* disengaged so now it has to engage it again real quick because now you want to go and not stop...

Just sayin', be deliberate with your actions and the gearbox will work much better. It's not an automatic, so don't treat it like one. If you do stuff like that, it'll be a long and jerky ride.

The gearbox itself is a TRUE manual. It doesn't operate any differently at it's core. The difference is that there is a computer to control the shifting instead of a human. Beyond that, the differences are minor.
Sure....no problems....you guys sound just like you work for Ford public relations...LOL............I suppose the grinding noises, the hesitation when you pull out into traffic (which almost got me killed) and overheating in stop-and-go traffic are normal.....This transmission is crap and to prove it just look at all the posts on this forum with people having major issues..........
rick217 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
VanceVEP72
Focus Enthusiast
 
VanceVEP72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Fan#: 115153
Location: Phoenix, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White 5-Dr Hatchback SE

Posts: 87
Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 VanceVEP72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks, babaei. I'll give it a little time to see if things "break in" and to get use to driving a DCT. My last car (Nissan Sentra) had a CVT so I had to get use to driving that car too.
VanceVEP72 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast
 
Jim_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan#: 109775
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

Posts: 113
FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Give it until about 3k on the clock, then start taking it in and insisting on paperwork, even if it says nothing found, every time.

The transmission sucks, big time, and ford has calculated the best response to the very real issues is to deny and stonewall, while the ford employees on sites like this run interference, even up to the point of blaming the driver for somehow not knowing how to drive this newfangled technology.

Likely your tranny will get worse as it adapts to your driving, and you'll have periods when it seems OK (especially in light traffic), only to be brought back to reality by an 8 second delay in getting into gear when you trying to merge, or a huge car jarring downshift mistake, or a tranny overheat alarm, or just noise and general poor drivability from erratic, unpredictable shifting.

What you can expect here is nothing. Ford either has no fix, or has decided it's too much work to fix, and people here would just as soon people with bad trannys go away.
Jim_J is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.