Adding ambient lighting to back with OEM system - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #31
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivaldrood View Post
SilverPony did you ever do this? I'd like to see pictures and know exactly how you tap into the front LEDs
I have the parts and part numbers if you want, but I haven't tackled this yet. I haven't even crawled under the dash to see how the factory system is hooked up. Been busy as of lately. But I'll try to get this done sometime in the next few weeks..... If it cools off here. Mid 90's with high humidity in the Midwest isn't fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
fivaldrood
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116666
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 fivaldrood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The part numbers would be sweet. How much did parts end up running you?

I understand how you feel we hit 108* today and its a cool week.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #33
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
This would look cool if it's actually possible. Seems like the people or person who claims to have done it doesn't have pics.

Is it plug and play or is there cutting soldering etc. involved?

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
moocows42
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101732
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 17 moocows42 Great Standing Member
I have done this. I did it a couple weeks ago. I used posi-taps to tap into the factory wiring which made it easy. I extended the pigtail connectors that I ordered with some 16-gauge wire with solder and heat shrink that came with the connector from ford. It's 3 wires and one side of the connector has a tab on it so I used that to match the wires up when tapping into factory wiring. I then ran the wire under the trim to the seat. I didn't mount the led on the seats though I just tucked them in and so far it has held good. I just kind of typed this up quick so if there are any question feel free to ask and I'll answer tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #35
fivaldrood
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocows42 View Post
I have done this. I did it a couple weeks ago. I used posi-taps to tap into the factory wiring which made it easy. I extended the pigtail connectors that I ordered with some 16-gauge wire with solder and heat shrink that came with the connector from ford. It's 3 wires and one side of the connector has a tab on it so I used that to match the wires up when tapping into factory wiring. I then ran the wire under the trim to the seat. I didn't mount the led on the seats though I just tucked them in and so far it has held good. I just kind of typed this up quick so if there are any question feel free to ask and I'll answer tomorrow.
So you had to tap into the existing lights? Do you have part numbers for the lights and the pigtails?

Any pictures that you could post of you tapping into the existing lights and where you placed the new ones would be great!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #36
moocows42
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Wpt-1192 This is the pig tail connector
bm5z-13776-D This is the light

You could also use bm5z-13776-c I believe for the light. (One is left and the other is right but they are actually the same. I know because I have them both). Yes, I tapped into the existing wiring up front and they function the same as the front ones so if I change colors and dim them it affects the new ones too. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow when I get home.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #37
fivaldrood
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Did you just get the parts from your local dealer? About how much did you spend? Figure this would be a good first mod to the car as it shouldn't void warranty on anything other than some LED lights.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #38
moocows42
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I bought them from tousley ford but you can check your local dealer. Paid a little over $40 after shipping. Then I got some wire from amazon. I already had solder and a soldering iron. And I had some posi-taps from other stuff laying around that I got from custom dynamics. You could also tap into the factory wiring by splicing and soldering but I'm not really good at that in smaller places at odd angles.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #39
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Wpt-1192 This is the pig tail connector
bm5z-13776-D This is the light
These are the correct part #'s. Although my invoice says BU2Z-14S411-ACA for the pigtail. The actual bag the pigtail is in has both numbers on it though.

Here is a pic as well:

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
I bought them from tousley ford but you can check your local dealer. Paid a little over $40 after shipping. Then I got some wire from amazon. I already had solder and a soldering iron. And I had some posi-taps from other stuff laying around that I got from custom dynamics. You could also tap into the factory wiring by splicing and soldering but I'm not really good at that in smaller places at odd angles.
Sounds like a lot of work for something I'll never really see. Unless my girlfriend is driving and I'm in the back. Which only happens after...

In which case I crawl into the back, remove the headrests (aka pillows), and .

The joys of a hatchback ! What other car owner can say he woke up in his trunk the next morning?

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->