2005 Ford Focus 2.0 SES, passenger side engine noise. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
dingoqing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109818
What I Drive: 2005 ford focus zxw

FF Reputation: 1 dingoqing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 Ford Focus 2.0 SES, passenger side engine noise.

Recently, after two and half highway drive and 10 days long-term park in airport, I have found an aperiodic ticking noise come from the passenger side of the engine( i.e. the time chain side). It is not the periodic ticking noise from injector for sure, which is also on my engine. It does like something is knocking the engine.
In addition, the noise comes only when I put to 'D' or 'R' with the car stopped by brake pedal (like stopping at the traffic light) . If I put to 'P' or 'N', the noise disappears. If I start to drive, the noise disappears too. I also noticed when braked at 'D' or 'R', the rpm is pretty low (like about 750), otherwise it has a idle rpm of 800 at 'P' or 'N'. This has make me feel that the noise only occurs at very low rmp but I'm still not quit sure if my feel is right.

The detail can be found in following video taken under the engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYrpihiO0gI.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

My wife is in the driving cabin to control the engine. In the first several second, the transmission is put in 'D' without braking. You can see the transmission axle is rotating, with no strange noise. When braking occurs, the rotation stops of course, and the noise comes out from the passenger side of the engine.

Anybody has any idea what should I do. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,169, Level 97
Points: 27,169, Level: 97 Points: 27,169, Level: 97 Points: 27,169, Level: 97
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Probably tumble flaps. It will get worse. Most shade trees think it's caused by bad valve adjustment. Real diagnostics reveal the noise to be in the intake not the valve cover.

I don't suggest you do that since it's not making noise unless you have it in gear with someone's foot on the brake. That seems to be an unsafe time to be in front of the car, touching the car, or anything else except watching the car. If it's tumble flaps, and you mileage is low, like 60k or 80k, it will get worse. Mine has 150k, the sound started around 100k.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
dingoqing
Focus Rookie

My focus only have 78k on it.
So what I should do is just leave it until it is more serious?
By the way, I have change the valve cover gasket one month ago, but I don't think if I have left something in it.
Should I open the valve cover to check or directly go to to mechanist immediately?
Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
Mine made knocking noises under those conditions and it turned out to be one of the engine mounts had gone away allowing the engine to move to far and cause engine vibrations to be transferred directly into the cabin area. So if I were you I would make sure it's actually the engine and not the lower engine mount under the car allowing metal on metal contact against part of the cars structure.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
dingoqing
Focus Rookie

Thanks. However I'm pretty sure it come from inside of the engine . Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and update the status here.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.