Blown engine at 35000 miles - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #71
Vuj311
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70902
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

Points 938, Level 16
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Vuj311 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i had a similar issue. it took ford about 2 weeks to replace it. You should see the parts list that were replaced LOL.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #72
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 6,005, Level 50
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuj311 View Post
i had a similar issue. it took ford about 2 weeks to replace it. You should see the parts list that were replaced LOL.
As in you melted a piston as well?
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #73
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103288
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black focus s

Points 985, Level 16
Points: 985, Level: 16 Points: 985, Level: 16 Points: 985, Level: 16
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Zuesskroph Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hixsonaf View Post
I'm running a Steeda CAI and the FSWerks stealth exhaust. I noticed a tapping in the valve train as soon as I installed the Steeda CAI at low Rpm high torque loads. Went and did an auto cross day at a local track and got six runs in before my engine started rapping like a diesel. Made it half wat home and it died. I checked the oil and she was bone dry. The dealer tore it apart and found that it melted part of the drivers side piston. Their best guess is that the injector hung up and dumped fuel into the cylinder. It bent all 4 valves. Ford is covering it under warranty and I am getting a whole new long block.
Not being a ass but glad I'm not the only one that did this lol
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #74
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Points 985, Level 16
Level Up 85% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
The Dealer does my oil changes. I bought the maintenance package when the car was new so I just let them deal with it. So to answer your question my car has only ever seen motorcraft filters and motorcraft oil. No serious performance mods to require any special oil.
Me to....makes me not trust my dealer now
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #75
Zuesskroph
Focus Enthusiast

Points 985, Level 16
Level Up 85% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ok I'm gonna chime in on the cause of why mine started knocking cause I have friends that work at ford.on mine the clamp that holds the cam was to tight and wore into the camshaft causing metal shavings,after a while caused a piston to hit the side and that was it,and mine in modded minus the header at the time and they covered it.the service desk gave me a couple reasons why it blew(which were all dumb)and the actual mechanics told me of the shavings and showed me a v8 from a f150 that did the same thing.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #76
2013TitaniumHatch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113545
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 2013TitaniumHatch Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm running a Steeda CAI and the FSWerks stealth exhaust. I noticed a tapping in the valve train as soon as I installed the Steeda CAI at low Rpm high torque loads. Went and did an auto cross day at a local track and got six runs in before my engine started rapping like a diesel. Made it half wat home and it died. I checked the oil and she was bone dry. The dealer tore it apart and found that it melted part of the drivers side piston. Their best guess is that the injector hung up and dumped fuel into the cylinder. It bent all 4 valves. Ford is covering it under warranty and I am getting a whole new long block.
Been watching/reading this thread and it's time for me to open my big fat mouth.

After installing the Steeda CAI a tapping in the valve train was heard (the intake would not cause this damage but may let a noise easier to be heard) at low R.P.M's high torque. What does "low R.P.M's high torque loads" even mean? If it's a manual I call that "lugging" and that's bad for an engine. If it has the DDCT, it won't let it be "lugged", even in SelectShiift mode.

Then after hearing the "tapping in the valve train...at low Rpm high torque loads" it the then went to the track. Nuff said.

ASSUMING the oil was full before the six runs at the track, WHERE did the oil go??? A hole in the block, dumping it on the track? Burning it like a freight train?

If an "injector hung up and dumped fuel into the cylinder" several things can happen. One of which is fuel dilution in oil due to fuel getting past rings. Another could be hydro-lock damaging connecting rod. Either one will not cause bent valves.

My best GUESS is the engine was run low on oil to begin with. Engine ran hot, the variable valve timing system, which needs oil pressure to operate, was not getting the oil so the valve timing was off (I believe the variable cam timing, intake and exhaust can vary 30 degrees on this engine) and made contact with piston.

Any thoughts on the above? As long as it's civil response, I can take it.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #77
Deftmetal

Points 6,005, Level 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013TitaniumHatch View Post
Been watching/reading this thread and it's time for me to open my big fat mouth.

After installing the Steeda CAI a tapping in the valve train was heard (the intake would not cause this damage but may let a noise easier to be heard) at low R.P.M's high torque. What does "low R.P.M's high torque loads" even mean? If it's a manual I call that "lugging" and that's bad for an engine. If it has the DDCT, it won't let it be "lugged", even in SelectShiift mode.

Then after hearing the "tapping in the valve train...at low Rpm high torque loads" it the then went to the track. Nuff said.

ASSUMING the oil was full before the six runs at the track, WHERE did the oil go??? A hole in the block, dumping it on the track? Burning it like a freight train?

If an "injector hung up and dumped fuel into the cylinder" several things can happen. One of which is fuel dilution in oil due to fuel getting past rings. Another could be hydro-lock damaging connecting rod. Either one will not cause bent valves.

My best GUESS is the engine was run low on oil to begin with. Engine ran hot, the variable valve timing system, which needs oil pressure to operate, was not getting the oil so the valve timing was off (I believe the variable cam timing, intake and exhaust can vary 30 degrees on this engine) and made contact with piston.

Any thoughts on the above? As long as it's civil response, I can take it.

Oil was burned,

"The dealer tore it apart and found that it melted part of the drivers side piston"

I had a hole in a piston that was discovered because of regular oil checks.

By all accounts of people with "bad" dct transmissions act like manuals being driven badly.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #78
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,381, Level 100
Points: 51,381, Level: 100 Points: 51,381, Level: 100 Points: 51,381, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Oil was burned,
I dont doubt that but it was from excessive Cyl temps

"The dealer tore it apart and found that it melted part of the drivers side piston"
There is only one thing that will burn the tops of a piston , excessive Cyl temps , this can only be caused by a lean condition or excessive timing , timing is so well regulated and has a good knock sensor so I rule out timing and it goes back to a lean condition

Altho you/they may of found this when a oil check was done oil has nothing to do with a burned piston and low oil will not cause a burned piston

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #79
Deftmetal

Points 6,005, Level 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Your right Tom never check your oil. There is in no way any benifiet to doing so, it certainly wouldn't show potential internal engine problems. Everything you say is dogma
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #80
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
They said a piece broke off of the bottom of the piston and exposed the rings. It could have just been cracked on the top. I didn't acuually see the damage but that's what I was told. The engine ran fine until it was removed. Had a bit of a rough idle and made an odd noise but power was normal and I was still getting 35mpg. I'm looking forward to seeing how a properly working engine performs
I don't believe your case is related to the OP's burned piston. A broken piston skirt causing oil control ring leakage is nothing like a piston with a hole burned through it, and far less catastrophic.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.