Blown engine at 35000 miles - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #61
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
If an injector shut off then it would NOT burn a pistom it would just keep going with a dead cyl , what causes a burned piston is a lean condition and or to much timing there is nothing else that will cause this nothing , excessive cyl temps and NO fuel in a cyl causes NO heat

I would bet you that your mechanic did not inform Ford that you had modded your car with an intake (which can and does cause a lean condition) and what ever other mods you have or your warranty would of been refused , If you dont believe that let me know your claim # and I will pass the info on to them for you , dont have to be the way you are about this , I am trying to inform people what I have been told by the higher ups in Ford when I talked to them last

The reason you can run higher compression with this crappy octane is the design of the head , piston etc

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #62
hixsonaf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105317
What I Drive: 2012, White, SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 hixsonaf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Maybe you should start your own post about what the " higher ups at ford told you " then we can all decide if your warranty statements are fact or not.

I just talked to the service writer and my car should be back in action tomorrow. Just waiting on intake manifold gaskets. And again my warranty is paying for everything, even with a Steeda CAI and an FSWerks Stealth Exhaust that the dealership and Ford are aware of.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #63
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
If an injector shut off then it would NOT burn a pistom it would just keep going with a dead cyl , what causes a burned piston is a lean condition and or to much timing there is nothing else that will cause this nothing , excessive cyl temps and NO fuel in a cyl causes NO heat

I would bet you that your mechanic did not inform Ford that you had modded your car with an intake (which can and does cause a lean condition) and what ever other mods you have or your warranty would of been refused , If you dont believe that let me know your claim # and I will pass the info on to them for you , dont have to be the way you are about this , I am trying to inform people what I have been told by the higher ups in Ford when I talked to them last

The reason you can run higher compression with this crappy octane is the design of the head , piston etc

Tom
I didn't mean turn off. I worded that incorrectly. It had to have some fuel in there to burn things up, it just essentially quit fueling like it should (not totally quit). My bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #64
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hixsonaf View Post
Maybe you should start your own post about what the " higher ups at ford told you " then we can all decide if your warranty statements are fact or not.

I just talked to the service writer and my car should be back in action tomorrow. Just waiting on intake manifold gaskets. And again my warranty is paying for everything, even with a Steeda CAI and an FSWerks Stealth Exhaust that the dealership and Ford are aware of.
Thats great , I am glad for you , do you always have to be a this way when you talk to people , I passed on what was told to me , Like I stated give me your warranty # and I will pass it on to who told me this and see how it goes then , I am sure you wont be doing that any time soon , there is no reason to be a jerk about this

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #65
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
I didn't mean turn off. I worded that incorrectly. It had to have some fuel in there to burn things up, it just essentially quit fueling like it should (not totally quit). My bad.
Dont agree , his engine ran lean thats all that could burn a piston , high EGT more then likely from his added intake is my opinion , I warned about this a year ago

I understood what you were saying tho

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #66
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Dont agree , his engine ran lean thats all that could burn a piston , high EGT more then likely from his added intake is my opinion , I warned about this a year ago

I understood what you were saying tho

Tom

My statement as to what caused the lean condition and the resulting damage is based on the OP's statement that the Ford tech(s) pointed to a faulty injector on that cyl.

I see what you are trying to say though. Not sure I agree, but I understand.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #67
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
As far as I'm concerned, with DI you can actually run the mixture leaner due to the efficiency of the burn since fuel is being injected directly into the cylinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
You can get away with a leaner mixture because of the way fuel is injected into the engine

Agreed. Fuel stratification from DI is what enables ultra lean burn technology. Why then, would we not believe that this engine can safely run leaner mixtures than a port-injected engine?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #68
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
No one is going to shoot you , "Ford" has control over what gets covered not the dealership ,

You take your car in with a blown engine , the dealer does the work it is a area warranty rep (traveling rep) that makes the final decision who gets what warranty on major parts , the mechanic has little to no say so at all when it comes to warranty

Ford dealerships can actually get in some trouble if they do "to much" warranty work

Tom

Regional Rep. And the Regional Rep does NOT pass judgment on all warranty work. Just on warranty work where a customer may be disputing the tech's outcome.

the "trouble" they get into is that Ford just simply doesn't PAY for the work, so the dealership eats the cost.

Take it a little further and some jobs the major auto manufacturers UNDER-estimate on. So dealerships will tend to NOT want to do warranty work for certain jobs because they are going to lose money on the repair. Auto-manufacturers say. Replace blown engine = time 8 hours. Then dealership is paid for 8 hours plus parts. If it takes 12 hours, the dealership loses out on the deal.

As to the Mods void the warranty thing. Ford can say what it wants, but there are LAWS they have to abide by, and those laws concerning warranty work and modifications state that they can refuse warranty work only if they can prove the modification caused the failure.

They can also void the warranty for any form of "racing" So just FYI. Autocross can void your warranty completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Quote:
Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

"Some dealerships may say 'just because you have a [cold air] intake or something' that the whole vehicle warranty is voided," explains Loren Wong, Edmunds associate business analyst and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true."

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. "Although they may not void warranties," Wong added, "modifications may raise a red flag when vehicles are in for service. If consumers who mod their cars do a little research, they may find certain dealerships that are a little more 'mod-friendly.'"
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty...-warranty.html

So basically, whoever said "Any mod voids your warranty" is sorely uneducated on the subject.

If a job is profitable, a dealership will usually overlook "racing" as a factor unless it is TOO obvious to ignore... Most will anyway. Some won't, and some take glee in voiding warranties for stuff like racing. (like one particular Acura dealership I used to know of).
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #69
yeroc40
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2581
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport YB 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 yeroc40 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
As to the Mods void the warranty thing. Ford can say what it wants, but there are LAWS they have to abide by, and those laws concerning warranty work and modifications state that they can refuse warranty work only if they can prove the modification caused the failure.
Sounds good, but I'd rather not have to find out what it would cost to get a lawyer to take on FoMoCo. I'm guessing writing off the car would be cheaper than fighting this in the courts.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #70
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
Sounds good, but I'd rather not have to find out what it would cost to get a lawyer to take on FoMoCo. I'm guessing writing off the car would be cheaper than fighting this in the courts.
That's what they hope for, that you paying for the fix is cheaper than fighting them on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->