Blown engine at 35000 miles - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #41
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #42
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I know of WAY more then 2 of these engine going , way way way more lol

The order has come down like stated , NO WARRANTY on modded anything under the hood of the MKIII

You even go to colored hoses ... good luck

Tom
Good thing I didn't buy your tune and a wideband.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #43
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just looked at the dyno thread again and I only saw 2 cars that the AFRs seemed wacky on. But it looks like sonic_hedgehog and craigsfocus had almost perfect AFRs, and like I said mine always read around 12.5.

And I'd also like to know where you're hearing about these popped engines, as you always seem to have so much exclusive information, Tom.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #44
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
+1
I keep seeing people suggest that this engine runs lean, but the dyno's with wideband readings in the MK3 dyno thread suggest that the car runs on the rich side. Where does this belief that the Mk3 runs lean come from? Maybe the target AFR during partial throttle open loop fueling is above stoich?
Oops... meant closed loop.

Quote:
You may want to go back and look at those dynos again , everyone of them is 13 or above , this engine like most NA Foci should be in the 12.8 range and closer to the 12.5 for racing it on track
Maybe if you try to decipher the information on the graph without reading through the accompanying thread, one may assume that these cars are running relatively lean...
BUT if one actually reads the thread, they will find that:
1. 2012+ Focus uses a wideband front o2 sensor
2. The car remains in closed loop at WOT
3. The commanded and actual AFR was about 12.5 at WOT (this was on a car with no modifications)
Even the owner of the dynoed car mentioned that his AFRs were actually in the ~12 range at WOT.
(This thread)

StingRay saw the same results, as well as the other owners he mentioned...

I will datalog my car later as well when I have time.

Again, I don't see where people get the notion that the car runs lean stock when the data shows otherwise.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbeach View Post
I know BMW had an issue with carbon on the v8s, causing a costly head cleaning to properly fix the buildup.

And good point about the oil. I should look into it, as well as any other owner. I do doubt that ford or any other manufacturer would require a specific oil because we all know many owners will not bring their vehicles to the dealer for oil changes.

I bet ford's "faces" would be red when in a few years tons of engines blow.
They do have factory oil specs... GM has about 6 different types, ford about 5 etc. Now I'm interested in making a thread again, but my point is that even from the same manufacturer, one 5w-30 may be thinner or thicker than the other. The idea is to use oil with the same properties as factory fill, as it is designed by the engineers to match the characteristics of an engine. If you use the wrong stuff, your warranty can be denied. This is their way around having red faces. I have heard of engine failure on an engine with only 500 miles because of improper oil.

Ever wondered why they offer maintenance packages now? That's kind of their way around wasting millions on replacement engines.

I just thought it was interesting... we have always been taught that all we need to know is if it has the API and ILSAC labels, it's good. They're meaningless. Go look at a bottle of Castrol edge, for example. See how it meets specific ACEA ratings that say, SuperTech, doesn't.

If you want to look into it more, I would like to make a thread on it... in the meantime, check out the data sheets for your favorite oil. Specifically the "cSt at 100°" number. a lower number indicates a thinner oil. Factory Toyota specifies 10w30 for my engine, but I went with 5w30 Castrol Edge because it had the closest cSt to the factory oil. their 10w30 was far too thick.

whoops off topic... oh well.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
FocusTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102567
What I Drive: Black 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FocusTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
The order has come down like stated , NO WARRANTY on modded anything under the hood of the MKIII

Tom
I find this hard to believe that if you have any mods on your MKIII, that you warranty is void. I went to the dealer with an issue with my transmission acting a little off and they had no problem with my intake and exhaust. If your statement was true, they would have turned me away. And there is no way that they did not see them. They updated my software and the trans has been great since.

Future Mods: Coilovers, End-Links, Tune, and Brakes
Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #47
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusTi View Post
I find this hard to believe that if you have any mods on your MKIII, that you warranty is void. I went to the dealer with an issue with my transmission acting a little off and they had no problem with my intake and exhaust. If your statement was true, they would have turned me away. And there is no way that they did not see them. They updated my software and the trans has been great since.
+1

Obviously isn't true... after all, the OP got his engine replaced under warranty and the car had mods...
Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #48
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
I didn't know warranty work was up to Ford to decide... I always thought it was the mechanics at said dealership to determine weather or not modification caused said problem to occur and if this can not be proven then Ford will pay said dealership to repair/replace problem.

Bottom line is; Ford pays the dealership to fix the problem. I don't think they would want to turn someone away.

If I am wrong do not shoot me.
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #49
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I just looked at the dyno thread again and I only saw 2 cars that the AFRs seemed wacky on. But it looks like sonic_hedgehog and craigsfocus had almost perfect AFRs, and like I said mine always read around 12.5.

And I'd also like to know where you're hearing about these popped engines, as you always seem to have so much exclusive information, Tom.
Some is exclusive some isnt , all you have to do is look , ask and know people , I am in the Focus business it wouldnt be wise for me not to know whats happening so I stay in contact with people in Ford and many many dealerships that I do work for or friends or Family in

Need to look through those dynos again there all lean in my opinion, Mine is as well and the few I have had on my dyno ... all lean

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_MK3 View Post
I didn't know warranty work was up to Ford to decide... I always thought it was the mechanics at said dealership to determine weather or not modification caused said problem to occur and if this can not be proven then Ford will pay said dealership to repair/replace problem.

Bottom line is; Ford pays the dealership to fix the problem. I don't think they would want to turn someone away.

If I am wrong do not shoot me.
No one is going to shoot you , "Ford" has control over what gets covered not the dealership ,

You take your car in with a blown engine , the dealer does the work it is a area warranty rep (traveling rep) that makes the final decision who gets what warranty on major parts , the mechanic has little to no say so at all when it comes to warranty

Ford dealerships can actually get in some trouble if they do "to much" warranty work

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->